Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShowEQ for EQOA

ShowEQ for EQOA

I was wondering how hard it would be to cross over ShowEQ to work with the PS2 release of EverQuest Online Adventures.

I would also be very interested in a way to monitor the data traffic comming off my PS2 while I play. Does it send a datastream similar to EQ etc.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at the datastream a while back, during beta... it is quite different than the EQ data stream (obviously..). I played EQOA for about 2 hrs total before I decided I really didnt like it, so I never went very far into my investigation of the data..

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Examining the Datastream

How would I go about monitoring the data stream for my PS2. I have a basic understanding of Linux but nothing too in-depth.

I would be very interested in learning how to do this and to see exactly what is being sent back and forth.

Same way you monitor any stream. If you are plugging your PS2 into your network, then just utilize tcpdump, ethereal or any other number of libpcap based apps (or Winpcap based in the case of Windows).

Thinking outside the box

Just out of curiosity, what would it take to convert SEQ to work with the EQOA?

ShowXYZ, how hard is it.

This question has been asked many times.

The ShowEQ framework is rather large. So 90 percent of the work to make a ShowXYZ is done. The only remaining part is the part to decode the protocol. This will be different for a ShowDAOC, ShowEQOA, ShowShadowbane, ShowSB, ShowL, ShowLineage, ShowAOE, ShowUO, ShowFunnyBunnies.

As a frame of reference, each time the format changed for EQ (Luclin, PoP Encryption, LoY encoded and compress opcodes) the work to get ShowEQ working again is the same work as getting a ShowXYZ working. In other words, to make ShowXYZ, you need to a) break the encryption (look in the client for flaws and/or write a key snifffer), b) decode the "opcodes" (or the format in which the messages are passed).

What it comes down to, is there needs to be someone dedicated to spending from 8 to 40 hours working on a solution to map out the format of the communication.

If a ShowXYZ does not exist, it is because no one wanted to spend this time, no one had the patience to complete it, or the ones who did make it have never released it.

Asking about it with the hope that it has not been mentioned here before is like winning the lottery. If it exists, you would be able to search for it and find it.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthrea...highlight=daoc
    http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthrea...ghlight=ShowSB
    http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthrea...hlight=ShowSWG

well now that we need to run a key sniffer on our windows box, there is no way at the moment to run a program like that on a PS2.
    Now you could probably figure out how a gameshark works and possibly hardcode a sniffer on that..

There may be a good possiblitly that PS2 wont use encryption because the processor is only 150mhz..

just a thought..

When i beta tested EQOA, i could have set SEQ to sniff the packets of the PS2 by setting the IP address.

I didnt..

Originally posted by seqmage
    There may be a good possiblitly that PS2 wont use encryption because the processor is only 150mhz..
    comparing a non-i386 architecture to i386 based soley on clock speed is about the absolutly most meaningless comparison you could have possibly used. earn some RISC, and then give me a clock for clock comparison of a p4 and a power4 chip.

Why use the PS2 version of EQ when you have the PC version? /boggle

something to do while afk on raids?

Gotta love a dev that plays

Depending on what you want, EQOALog (at http://www.eqoalog.com/ ) may be what you're looking for. It generates an eqoalog.txt file with a text log similar to what EQ generates. It has windows to display the Guild and Buddy lists. It also has a few other useful features (parsing tools) like a DPS calculator, and an experience per second calculator.

It doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with a pen, paper, and a stopwatch though. SOE, at least unofficially, doesn't have any problems with it as a result.

A full ShowEQOA program could be written but would be of limited utility. SOE has learned the lesson of PCEQ, and no longer sends all the spawns in the zone, just those within visual range. No point in having a program that displays nearby spawns, if you can just target them in game.

Someone could do a GPS style system, (EQOALog intentionally does not display any coordinate information), but getting around in game, at least so far, isn't too difficult.

Jerrith
    30th level Elf Cleric
    Ferran's Hope

Jerrith
    30th level Elf Cleric
    Ferran's Hope

Hope that isn't your chars real info.

Originally posted by Cryonic
    Hope that isn't your chars real info.
    Perhaps I should have gone into more depth on the "unofficially". At the launch event for the game, I talked with the Bordael, EQOA's equivalent of Absor, about what this program did and didn't do. As it doesn't do anything you couldn't do with a pen, paper, and stopwatch, he didn't have any problem with it.

If someone wrote a program that did ShowEQ style mapping, or some other exploitive action, they might say something. Just logging to a text file and some parsing? Not likely.

So yes, that's my real info.

Jerrith
    30th level Elf Cleric
    Ferran's Hope

Originally posted by Jerrith

So yes, that's my real info.

Jerrith
    30th level Elf Cleric
    Ferran's Hope
    You are aware that using SEQ goes against the EULA for EQ right? What was being pointed out was that, by being on these boards, you are more than likely an SEQ user and therefore subject to banning.

Anonymity is usually a good thing.

Thread Information