Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: anyone working and what you need to do to get you going

Originally posted by SeqTester

would I be helping if I could? Yes
    Hell, so would I.

I have a little programing expreience, but not enough to work by myself.

If there was a basic set of instructions of what was required to be done, I'd be working on it. But then again, I think most users would as well.

PS. Thanks devs for a wonderful program. Pity sony seems determined to continually fek it over..... or are they aiming these changes at macroquest maybe and not seq ?

Originally posted by throx
    btw - a point list is senseless. If the devs work anything like most of us then every single point you imagine will be listed as "90% complete".
    So true

LaBlade

LoY patch changed encryption -- *Fixed*
    * Spell casting window broken -- in progress
    * Exp window broken -- in progress
    * Mob movement encoding changed -- investigating
    * Opcodes changed -- investigating
    This is not meant as a flame.

Sauron, The problem is that most of the parts above depend on correct values for Opcodes, correct packet structure, correct demux of bundled opcodes, and correct encryption/compression.

There is no collaboration of a working version, but there is often discussion of the changes on irc. Each "dev" will take what is discussed and attempt to decode the changes. I do believe (as I have been a part of it in the past) that there are times when everyone is working on the same problem. The items listed like Mob movement encoding, Exp window, and spell casting window are tied to the "encryption" and Opcodes as you put it. These are fundamentally sequential tasks with the easy part being determining what the structure mean (and thus fixing your middle 3 problems.)

Also, there really isn't a percentage done concept on the "encryption". You either have it or you don't. There is this concept for opcodes and I suppose you could state a percentage for that task. However I doubt the devs (or anyone else) has this information readily available and thus it would require effort to generate this information for your consumption. Would you rather have the "devs" work on this task or work on fixing the problem?

I see what you are saying.. Perhaps the real point of what I was trying to say was it would be nice to know what is going on. Maybe a sticky, or a post that gets updated once a week with information regarding status. So many people get anxious about whether the project is being worked on, etc. A simple post with a weekly update (maybe only a sentence or two) would really help.

With so many people getting SEQ to work a week or two ago, it seemed strange that there was no status update from the devs. Maybe the ones that got it working are using "SEQ mode 2" instead of packet decoding, I don't know.

Just trying to ease tension on these boards as it gets quite out of hand.

SOE Devs do this for money.
    SEQ Devs do this for FUN.

So remember if they have a working copy and you don't and they get off on that, then that's there option.
    Which is precisely why no actually useful "open source" software exists, and why the standard "open source" operating system has been claiming to be on the verge of enterprise acceptance for so many years.

Without getting any closer to actual acceptance.

In the end, you get what you pay for. It's a metaphysical axiom, and I can think of no exception to the rule in all of human history.

SOE Devs do this for money, and therefore have a famous and historic online MMORPG that 350,000 people pay $12 a month to play.

SEQ Devs do this for fun, and as we can all see really don't have anything. Even when it works, it ain't all that.

And the SEQ Devs wouldn't have dick to have fun with, if the SOE Devs weren't doing it for money.

Originally posted by Borscht

Which is precisely why no actually useful "open source" software exists
    I'm sorry. i can't resist..
    You do know that a large portion of the tcp/ip stack in windows 9x/NT was taken from BSD don't you (the ftp command still had the regents of california copyright). And that your email unless it's totally handled by exchange inside a company will be passed through open-source MTAs?

of course not.

don't worry. "you get what you pay for" will hopefully go the way of "no-one got fired for buying IBM"

Bla bla bla.... you want it to work, learn to code.

Is mine working? No.
    Do I care? No
    Would I like it to work? Sure why not.
    Do I check here every day? yes
    would I be helping if I could? Yes

SOE Devs do this for money.
    SEQ Devs do this for FUN.

So remember if they have a working copy and you don't and they get off on that, then that's there option. I really doubt that that is even close to the reason.
    The funny thing is, The devs do this for fun, well. Exactly how much fun is it when people continualy bitch about it not working? Sure I think its nice to have it when it works. But its not my goddamn life. The biggest part I like about it is mapping, all the other stuff is a bonus. So even if I felt like playing now I could use the new mapping system in eq. But for all the people that continually bitch "you have it and I don,t give me it!" Its there choice what they want to do with *there* fix for christs sake. Why don't you people focus on this lame war going on. Or bitch about rising gas prices, and do something about it. I mean jesus christ. Get over your self indulged little pussy whipped angry childlike "my toy is bigger then yours" complex.

Wink

Originally posted by Borscht

Which is precisely why no actually useful "open source" software exists, and why the standard "open source" operating system has been claiming to be on the verge of enterprise acceptance for so many years.
    DOH!! Yea, I can't resist either.

* More than half the HTTP servers on the internet today are Apache Servers -- Open source.
    * Every web browser known to date originated in some way from the NCSA Mosaic code -- at least part of which (if not all of which) I believe was open source.
    * It's practically impossible to send an e-mail through an internet backbone without hitting at least one sendmail server. As a matter of fact I believe that I'd heard somewhere that 80%+ of MTR's are sendmail/open source MTRs now. -- Open Source
    * The second most popular operating system in existance today: Linux -- Open source.
    * FTP, Gopher, Telnet, SSH, Grep, GCC, X-Windows, Awk, Sed, Perl...yep, you guessed it, all open source.
    * DNS for christ sakes -- you know that small bit of translation that is done that makes the internet viable -- BIND is the #1 DNS server out there - yep, again open source.
    * Squid - one of the most popular proxy servers on the internet currently - again, open source.

I'm sure I could go on with this list till it's hundreds of entries long, but I think the point has been made...If you deal with the internet, unix, or networking in any way shape or form, you are probably using "useless" open source software in some way...or at least relying upon it at some point.

As to the enterprise acceptance comment, hey, it's good enough for IBM...and there arn't many shops that I know of (big, small, or otherwise) that havn't at least LOOKED at a Linux server as a viable alternative to a SUN, HPUX, AIX or even NT box...and most of those businesses have one or two in their back closet somewhere that they won't mention, but that help hold their infrastructure together. I'll agree with you that Linux isn't viewed by the business community as a mission critical operating system PUBLICLY, but privately, i'm betting more than a few (and most that I know and have worked for) have a system or two that provides much of the functionality for the behind the scenes portion of the business.

In my experience and in my view, Open source does work.

I'll quit hijacking the thread for Open Source discussions now...sorry.
    - Raistlin

Heh heh heh. Well, good try Raistlin.

As a professional systems integrator with over 15 years in the field, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment.

To be second place in the OS department, compared to Microsoft, is to be as nothing, Microsoft has an 87% market share.

In 1999 Microsoft posted 1.6 billion in revenue, in a market that as a whole posted only 1.53 billion. The discrepancy due to the losses from other vendors.

Yeah sure, some stuff is worthwhile. I'll grant you your point on Apache. But since Netware integrates the NLM version of Apache into it's NOS, well......a lot of those servers ain't running on Linux.

But since every yokle in the world runs a web server now, the claims of Apache's penetration are overstated. No major co-locator I'm aware of that's profitable sells web space on Apache servers.

Good cheerleading though, I give you a 9.2

Though I dissed open-source, the main point of my post concerned the concept of getting what you pay for.

We are getting what we paid for here, with the exception of those who have actually donated to the cause. They are getting considerably less.

don't worry. "you get what you pay for" will hopefully go the way of "no-one got fired for buying IBM"
    ROFL! Keep hoping.

But seriously, hope in one hand and crap in the other, then tell me which fills first.

I think you're getting Internet services confused with Intranet services. Microsoft definitely had a commanding lead in the Intranet, but is nowhere near dominating the Internet services market. In fact, they are losing market share due to the cost and constant security problems. Take a look at some of the stats from http://www.netcraft.com and you'll the majority of web-servers on the Internet are Apache on Linux. As far as Apache on Windows, I've never heard of any company using such a combination in production. It would be absolutely pointless. Almost all other Internet services like DNS, FTP, etc... run on some flavor of UNIX. I work for an Internet company that handles payment processing and our entire infrastructure is based on Linux and Solaris. We don't have one Windows server in any of our colos and will not. Not only becuase Windows costs an arm and a leg, but it would make our insurance rates go up and greatly increase the amount of time it takes to provision servers. With Linux I can install an OS and rebuild a server from scratch remotely with out ever stepping foot in the colo. I've worked in the Silicon Valley for 5 years now and I know I speak for a lot of companies. As for ISP's not using Apache, almost all of them I know of do use Apache. Some of them offer W2k accounts but at additional cost.

As for this 87% market share, it's only in desktop PC's. Not in servers. Companies like Sun and Oracle don't stay in business because they're selling their software for $100 to the mass market. They have their enterprise customers and sell it for more like $100,000+ dollars. The volume of sales is not the only thing that matters, quality counts too and being second place is not necessarily a bad thing. Microsoft is second and third place in a lot of markets.

Getting back to the subject.. Open source software is not intended for the average user. It's intended for use by high end users and research communities. The fact the Internet runs primarily on open source software would primarily attribute to the fact that it is not useless. Mabye useless to some slack jawed yokel that gets a little bit of space on a managed W2k server and calls that a colo, but to real systems engineers and network engineers it's priceless.

And no, in the IT world, you don't always get what you pay for unless you consider Marketing a product feature.

Originally posted by baelang
    My port of SEQ to microfocus cobol is working quite well. I hope to have the fortran 77 version going soon, but might take a break to work on the ada version that some of the other devs are using.
    Would you be willing to help me with my INTERCAL port? I know I'm not the only one here who likes the abuse.

The devs do this for fun.. and atm i dont think the devs have any fun, thus aint doing it with "that" much enthusiasm anymore.

Some devs done it for themselves for personal reasons, some devs have not solved the problem, and dont really stress it either. As another post said, there is devs here that aint playing EQ at all.. just do this for fun... and where is the fun in doing it at all anymore?

Well..

Thread Information