Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting my own Dev

Re: Starting my own Dev

Originally posted by Resiliant
    Since it would appear that development has stopped, I downloaded the latest code and am starting my own analysis and repair effort. Anyone that would like to provide input and suggestions as to how to proceed, feel free to do so in this thread.

R
    glad to see the selective update process is working, time to add the other losers to the no-seq-fix list.

if only.....

Getting tired of seeing the same messages after every patch. If the devs aren't working fast enough for you, fix it yourself or STFU. They owe you nothing.

Do you need my login and password to help test that project too?

*sarcasm off*

Originally posted by Iam_Walrus
    #! /usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $num = 0;

while ($num == 0) {
    print "Are we there yet?\n";
    }

Am I a dev yet?
    Hmm, lets see.... If I change the code enough, I can be a code ninja.... and praised by my clueless non-proggy peers...

]#! /usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $num = 1;

while ($num <> 0) {
    print "Are we in R^6 yet?\n";
    }

and yes.. this was a complete utter waste of bandwidth as I provided NOTHING of value..

Its kind of funny how quickly people jump to conclusions, especialy without knowing what all is involved in fixing SEQ after an encryption or netcode change. Its not just 'fixing a few opcodes', its breaking out a disassembler, hunting down the decryption routines, following whats happening with a debugger, logging a large amount of packets, and much trial and error, just to regain basic functionality. On top of that, things were changed around on test again a few days ago, including the encryption and some major struct changes.

Personally, I've been focused on deciphering whats changed on test since spending time fixing things for live, only to have it patched again in a couple of days is a bit of a waste.

mvern

I'd just like to post my thanks to mvern and all of the developers. I would never take the time to do what you do for us and you are kind enough to let us all benefit from your efforts.

Please remember that there are those of us (well at least ME) who very much appreciate you and all you do on this project. Again, thank you, as I've said before and I'm sure I'll say again...

-uu

Personally, I've been focused on deciphering whats changed on test since spending time fixing things for live, only to have it patched again in a couple of days is a bit of a waste.
    Can we PLEASE STICKY this phrase? It is self explanitory why there isnt a fix out yet. Test has been changed again, and will probably continue to be for a bit...

Poncho

/bow Mvern,

thank you for clarifying it to the people who don't can look more foreward than the next day
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

mvern:

Thank you.

ALL DEVS:

Thank you.

I can't say it enough.

I have been a SEQ user for 10 months, It has been responsible for my renewed love of the game, I miss it every day it's down and check in here every day hoping for the fixes.

I've said before, I'm no programmer, and all I can afford to offer back to the project are my thoughts and comments...

..and my Thanks.

To everyone that has participated in this project through development, through suggestions, through code, through donations...

Thank you

Interesting responses.

To clarify...

1) Im not asking for suggestions. I'm indicating where they should be placed if anyone wants to make them.

2) I see dev's complaining that we don't appreciate how difficult the task is. Perhaps that's true. It's a little hard to appreciate something when one has no information about what is going on.

3) Reality check: SEQ has been broken since JANUARY. It's now MARCH. We have all been patient, and we continue to be so.

4) Denying upgrade rights? LOL That's what open source is all about. There are no upgrade rights. Anyone that wants to can start their own development branch at any time.

5) Gratitude? Yes, I'm personally most grateful for the work done in the past. The upgrades that have happened virtually overnight. It is also true that nothing has happened in almost two months now. Time to move it forward. Im not complaining, im putting my shoulder to the plow and starting to drag my own furrough.

Flame on... isn't going to effect me either way.

If something nice turns up tomorrow.. then fine.. i'll be happy to use it. Till that happens, im off hunting on my own.

R

3) Reality check: SEQ has been broken since JANUARY. It's now MARCH. We have all been patient, and we continue to be so.
    im sorry, i just had to jump on the bandwagon at this point..
    maybe you missed the 2 weeks SEQ was fixed, maybe you are a moron who can only dream of being a developer who takes his precious time out of his life to fix SEQ every time it gets broken, or maybe your ... /shrug.. anyway, no SEQ hasnt been broken since january.. sorry to pop your little bitty bubble.. SEQ was fixed for 2 weeks prior to LOY day.. maybe if you knew how to read the forums instead of jumping to conclusions you would know the facts. just because the main page hasnt updated the optcode doesnt mean its the last time it was working.

Tell ya what, go climb back into that crap hole you call a life, stop posting here, and leave the devs alone, to do what they do so well..
    and to the devs, and mvern if he hasnt been made one yet, a big thank you.

good luck to you Resiliant Plow on and ignore the jerks here.

... strange environment where even the slightest offer of help or question on where to start does nothing but incite riots. You'd think those that know how to write 'hello world' on the screen owned sole absolute rights to the technology.

I doubt that half the braggarts here that do nothing but sling insults actually have anymore clue on how this all works than I do.

I am gateful for those of you that are actually trying to help.
    Yet another useless response from the know it alls that took longer to write than it would have taken to just answer the question.

Interesting responses.

Feb 24th LoY goes LIVE!!!! WOOT .. Lotsa stupid frogs.. Lotsa ghey ass tints... Damn .. no more skittles..

Yeah that's right.. I had skittle the mintue before LoY was realeased .. so it was "since JANUARY"...

Fixed - Jan 16
    Broke - Jan 28
    Fixed - Feb 16th
    Broke - Feb 24th - and the saga continues
    Fixed - Hmmm I'll put a 5 spot on a pattern and say Mar 16th :P
    Last edited by SlowNLazy; 03-04-2003 at 06:33 PM.

3) Reality check: SEQ has been broken since JANUARY. It's now MARCH.
    WTF are you talking about?!?!? the date on this thread is FEB 16. That's only two goddamn weeks ago!!! SEQ worked just fine for a week after that and was broken with the following patch. So, it's been broken for a little over a week.

We have all been patient, and we continue to be so.
    If you call this being patient, I can only imagine what you'll post once your patience runs out.
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

Surak, Judging by your signature it becomes apparent that you really have not bothered to read the thread from the start, OR you just don't see WHY Resiliant is being considered a moron.

The post that started this thread by him basically states: (and I paraphrase)

"Since I am not receiving daily updates sent to me in my email by each of the Devs, it is obvious that SEQ is dead. I have copied all the core files and will start a new project with the 3 years worth of development that has already been put into it by you people. Oh and by the way, since you are all here and not doing anything can someone tell me how to do this? Please post it here since I have not set up my own development site, I'll just continue to use SEQ/Sourceforge as a base of operations."

That was MY interpretation of his post when I first read it. I was HOPING that I was just imagining things, and that he was GENUINELY offering to help, and that the miscommunication might be due to a non-native language.

But then, he comes and makes a post to defend his ROCK SOLID position and immediately begins to post inaccurate data... Which seems more than a LITTLE silly when dealing with developers and programmers, especially when he posts Winners like:

1) I’m not asking for suggestions. I'm indicating where they should be placed if anyone wants to make them.
    Ummm, Yes he did. It's the second of two sentences in the original post... OH WAIT, that's not what he's saying, he's saying that you can feel free to post your suggestions here, just he will ignore them because he will be busy sending daily updates to every user of this board to keep us all in the loop.

I won't bother getting into the rest of his post. If he REALLY wanted to help the project, and he has the skills to offer, he COULD have started a thread ASKING what areas needed extra brain power for help. But instead he did this.

So what I'm REALLY hoping for, is that the TWO of you get your IP banned and then you can both start up your own new little project and live in happiness... and PLEASE leave us to our misery and dead project.

It's ok, we'll struggle along somehow without you.

Thread Information