I get questions in my PM box and email a lot asking me where people can start for C++, what books are good to buy, etc... You've all seen the posts.

I honestly don't even know where to begin with this sort of question half the time.

I'd like to compile a list of books that people think are helpful, from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. Both for reference and for learning.

If any of you say the Deitel and Deitel UML w/ C++ book, I'm going to strangle you. Those of you who've read it, know what I'm talking about. Those of you who haven't, be thankful.

I can say, though, and if anyone has anything to add -> if you are just starting out and know nothing about C++, go to your local community college.

Take a beginning programming course, any language.

After that, your class progression, IMHO, should look something like this:

Basic C++ course (200 level)
OOP with C++ (230 level)
C++ Data Structures (250 level)
GUI programming with C++ (300 level)

After you have those 4 "required" courses, you can start diverging into the specific area you are interested in. You'll probably have reached the limit of what your local community college has to offer in that area, and will have to go to a 4 year or specialty school for further classes, but it will give you a solid foundation to either continue your formal education, or possibly strike out on your own and learn what you want to learn by yourself.