Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Bored + Old Drive == Gentoo Stage 1) ? USE Flags Known : Not known

Solved.

I forgot to copy the new kernel to the boot area. :/

Now I can continue with the next step. Configuring X. Weee

personally, i prefer "emerge fluxbox" so you get some X with-out all the kruft that is kde or gnome :)

My god ermerge xfree took forever.

Ok now for a really stupid question, do I really need X windows (server etc) for seq? If i've installed QT (and sadly KDE and gnome which I know I only need one of them) and whatever else I find I'll eventually need, do I need the overhead of Xfree?

I'm debating on making this a pure SEQ box without the GUI frontend hog. Would that really help my poor old PII 300mhz run SEQ faster?

Thanks for your info.

Yes, you must have X and a window manager to run Seq. If you get an ASCII version of Seq written, let me know though, I'm interested ;-)

Like fryfrog said, fluxbox is a very small window manager that will run Seq nicely for you. It also makes you a l33t haX0r or something to run it. I'm sure the purists will give me hell, but I actually do run KDE (my box is fast though). Sometimes the "fluff" is good, but the light weight managers definitely have their place as well.

technically, you should be able to send the showeq stuff to another computer via display forwarding. you could view it on another linux box or a windows box with some X server software. i believe you would need the X libs on the seq box, but you wouldn't actually need to run X.

fluxbox does make you cool, it gets you all the girls too :)

Man the fun just doesn't end.

I've got an X installed as I can run the plain jane version with an cursor in the middle but I cannot get my USB mouse to be recognized.

I've installed different options within the kernel and it recoginizes the USB hardware and that something is there but mentions during boot that the device is not being claimed by an Active driver.

Some basic information :

Code:
    PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
    PIIX4: chipset revision 1
    PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
    PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:07.2
    PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:10.0
    uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1020, IRQ 9
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 2 ports detected
    hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 2
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x45e/0x1e) is not claimed by an active driver.
    later during the boot I see that the new hotplug that I had emerged and added failed :

Code:
    * Starting USB and PCI hotplugging...
    * hotplug script /etc/hotplug/pci.rc failed at start

* loading key mappings...
    I know there are some log files I can look at... I also turned on USB debugging and I have to find that log file too.

I know this isn't a linux help forum but if you've seen this problem with an USB intel mouse optical connected to an old 440LX chipset DELL PC... let me know.

Thanks.

Check out the Gentoo Desktop Installation Guide. There is actually a specific section on setting up a USB mouse. It's a very well written doc too.

Edit: Sorry, it looks like you may have actually already read that doc, but I wanted to leave the post here in case it helps someone else.

Thanks.

Yes I had been studying that document but it turned out to be a combination of problems that were not covered in that doc.

I finally got USB working and the latest NVidia drivers. I decided to whimp out and grab KDE, so I'm doing the huge emerge of that now.

Thread Information