Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omfg

Well something deadly occured last night

I noticed once that during boot up, a file system check "fsck.ReiserFS" was not being resolved. I should have realized right away how deadly this was, but I got caught up in learning this new flavour of linux (my experience is with AT&T UNIX System V release 4 of ~ 15 years ago).

Sooo, you guessed it, by the time I started trying to figure out why the init scripts were not running the right fsck, my system was already screwed. I booted up from the CD and ran a fsck.reiserfs and lets just say it wasn't pretty and I ended up redoing the partition. :/

Now lol, I'm rebuilding but I'm wondering how many days it will be before SEQ is ready...... decisions decisions...

This time I'm NOT doing KDE, takes way to long!

The cool thing about breaking your system is all the nifty stuff you find while trying to figure out how to fix it. I lost my boot loader the other day due to my own moronic doing, and while looking around for rescue disks that would let me boot my kernel and get grub installed again I found Damned Small Linux. This is great! It's a 50 meg distro that includes Fluxbox, a word processor, text editor, web browser, sound support, postscript printing, email, a GUI file manager, NAIM, a PDF viewer, and more. You boot off the cd image, which can fit on a business card cd, tell it what screen resolution you want, and that's it. It's very cool. The only bummer for me was that doesn't support USB mice, so I had to bust out my adaptor to use it.

Not only was I able to mount my ext3 partition and fix my boot loader, I did it with style! I wonder if I could get gcc3 and Qt3 built on this distro... :-P

Code:
    rm -rf /etc
    I can't believe I just did that!!!! What a freaking idiot! Well, time to download the latest Gentoo install CD... idiot idiot idiot idiot...

Ack. At least you can go to rc4 I guess.

Thread Information