Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Problems On RedHat 8.0 ( 127 Error )

The reasons for the diverse nature of the documentation are several. Off the top of my head I can think of these:

1. The participants are doing this of their own free will. If someone gets a hair up his ass and decides that an install step-by-step for Red Hat version 6.2 as installed by a left handed Czechoslovakian woman with a bad lisp on Thursday is needed he will write it and post it. If the Dev team decides that he did a good job it will be cannonized in a file somewhere in the CVS. Depending on how they feel that day and how much time they have, other files with which it conflicts or which it superceeds may or may not be updated or replaced.

2. As referenced in reason 1 above there are an almost limitless number of possibilities for the initial state of the Linux box on which the software is to be installed.

3. The initial charter of the project was not to bring SEQ to the masses, but rather to make a tool available to those who demonstrated a rudimentary ability to solve problems and to interact successfully in a social context of geeks. The underlying concept being that those people would be less likely to do stupid things in game that would draw attention to the fact that they were using SEQ and thus cause SOE to divert resources toward thwarting the project.

4. This is not the software that runs the 911 system. It is a tool to make a game more playable. You can't blame people if they do not want to spend 40 hours of time that they could otherwise devote to friends, family, AA exp, drug abuse, self abuse......etc to writing a step by step guide to something that they figured out for themselves.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

stupid question

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is an install guide for most systems. Search for your distro and version and one usually turns up.

You provide an excellent example of a stupid question.

You: "Why don't you guys write an install guide for most version of Linux?" You even went so far as to list specific distros.

Answer: (see above) "If you would use the search feature before asking your question, I wouldn't have to waste time pointing out the obvious."

Monster
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well like I said before, you all like to flame. if you read my post correctly like I must read the install guide correctly then you would have noticed I pointed out that the only install guide created by the makers of seq is the install.newbie guide, what I said was would be nice to have a
    redhat.newbie
    freeBSD.newbie
    Mandrake.newbie
    and so on....

I never said in the topic that I wanted to see a post telling me how to guid me how to install on a certant distro, because if you looked even closer you would have seen I posted one for redhat that i did find in the post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mkdir /seq
    cd /seq
    export CVSROOT=server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
    cvs login (enter with no password at prompt)
    cvs checkout showeq
    cvs update -P
    cvs logout (it's courteous)
    cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make && make install

I did take out the part about gettin the libEQ.a file since it isn't needed now. You can find out about that in other posts.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never had no trouble using the little search feature up top on the left at all, infact that was the first thing i found worked great.
    I was just reading alot of post here on people having troubles with the install.newbie guide so I thought it would be easyer if you fellows had a nice guide for a certant distro so you wouldn't have to flame people, but ofcourse like I said before you might like it if so say so don't play games with your self.
    Last edited by tryant; 08-02-2003 at 02:22 PM.

I was just reading alot of post here on people having troubles with the install.newbie guide...
    The only trouble they have with it is: They didn't bother to even read it. No guide, whatsoever, will help people overcome their lazyness.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Thread Information