Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Problems On RedHat 8.0 ( 127 Error )

Install Problems On RedHat 8.0 ( 127 Error )

Hello,

I have a problem installing ShowEQ-4.3.7 i extracted the tar.gz into my /root/showeq and started reading the install. the very 1st command i entered was

make -f Makefile.dist
    & got this error

Adding libtool support......................................make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 127
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I run Redhat 8.0 with the 2.4.20-13.8smp Kernel

i seem to have all the packages needed to run showeq. did a search on the forum and only found 2 matches and no one awnsered them. if this was allready talked about sorry but i could not find it.

also i was wondering, i read the FAQ and noticed it says you need a non-banned EQ account... okey so i figure i need to enter my account info into showeq ? or is it just me thats gething confused and your just saying you need a valid account to "to play normaly ( on windows )"

also is showeq a gui or can i run it in via ssh/txt mode ?

btw why is it so importent to run it on a other machine ? ( just wondering )

Use the CVS. I dont think the tarball has been updated yet. It still has a date of 4/17 on it.

Re: Install Problems On RedHat 8.0 ( 127 Error )

Originally posted by mi6
    make -f Makefile.dist
    & got this error

Adding libtool support......................................make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 127
    make: *** [all] Error 2

i seem to have all the packages needed to run showeq. did a search on the forum and only found 2 matches and no one awnsered them. if this was allready talked about sorry but i could not find it.

also i was wondering, i read the FAQ and noticed it says you need a non-banned EQ account... okey so i figure i need to enter my account info into showeq ? or is it just me thats gething confused and your just saying you need a valid account to "to play normaly ( on windows )"

also is showeq a gui or can i run it in via ssh/txt mode ?

btw why is it so importent to run it on a other machine ? ( just wondering )
    Ok, first. You must NOT have searched. Also, you can not spell "answered", "already", "okay", "getting", "normally", "important", and "that is."

The "make[1]: *** [no-backup]" issue is documented in my first search hit (I am reading it RIGHT NOW.)

Where did you read that you need to enter EQ account information into ShowEQ? I only see the question "What do I need to run ShowEQ?" with the answer "In the broadest of terms: a 2nd computer, a Linux distribution, a hub and some time. oh, don't forget EverQuest the game and a non-banned account." This answer was no doubt in response to someone asking "Why can't I play EQ with ShowEQ with my banned EQ account?"

Where did you read it could be accessed by txt mode? Your joking right?

As for why does it use another machine? Do you know the meaning of the word passive?

This whole post was a joke right? You wanted to get people angry?

Oh okay, I just followed the link on the right side (Source Forge) and downloaded the Showeq package.

I was wondering how to use the CVS

I typed the command
    cvs -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

And my system doesn’t seem to recognize the command? Do I need to install cvs support or is there something wrong? I’m still pretty new to Linux =p hope that excuses my brain dmg

-btw-
    Is there a other way to update the rpm's in RH since having a demo account sorry sucks! I’m tired of waiting until 5am when there’s no one on.
    Last edited by mi6; 05-22-2003 at 11:11 AM.

Re: Re: Install Problems On RedHat 8.0 ( 127 Error )

Originally posted by fester
    Ok, first. You must NOT have searched. Also, you can not spell "answered", "already", "okay", "getting", "normally", "important", and "that is."

The "make[1]: *** [no-backup]" issue is documented in my first search hit (I am reading it RIGHT NOW.)

Where did you read that you need to enter EQ account information into ShowEQ? I only see the question "What do I need to run ShowEQ?" with the answer "In the broadest of terms: a 2nd computer, a Linux distribution, a hub and some time. oh, don't forget EverQuest the game and a non-banned account." This answer was no doubt in response to someone asking "Why can't I play EQ with ShowEQ with my banned EQ account?"

Where did you read it could be accessed by txt mode? You’re joking right?

As for why does it use another machine? Do you know the meaning of the word passive?

This whole post was a joke right? You wanted to get people angry?

Wow, you almost hurt my feelings. But sure if you’re going criticize on what I say please don’t post about it. Oh and thanks for correcting my post even if that’s not entirely what I was looking for.

YOU: Where did you read that you need to enter EQ account information into ShowEQ?

Me: I never said I read that anywhere I was just commenting on the FAQ on how it lead me to believe that I needed to enter my or a account id, and please your saying that my post must have been a joke yet you have the nerve to reply "Why can't I play EQ with ShowEQ with my banned EQ account?" well what do you think little boy?
    Hmmm maybe because it’s banned? What do you think?

YOU: Where did you read it could be accessed by txt mode? You’re joking right?

Me: Again I never said I read it could be accessed via txt mode, it was a freaking question. I have never tried and or heard of Showeq since today and from what I read ON THIS SITE! It was a sophisticated log analyzer witch displayed output. So I was asking if it was a txt based analyzer that could show me extra info from my EQ game. Simple when you think about yes? No need for a flame.

YOU: This whole post was a joke right? You wanted to get people angry?

Me: No, it was not a joke might have been to you but no.
    Again, No! I did not want to get anyone angry but! Apparently you are or could it be the coffee? (If you reply you don’t drink coffee I’m going to lol my ass all the way home (since it would be a pretty stupid reply))

But anyway does anyone have any more helpful answers?

Yes, you need to install cvs. It's a package for Redhat if that's the distribution you are using. Go to www.rpmfind.net and put in cvs in the search box with redhat in the system box. Download the rpm for version 8 if that's what you're using. Save it somewhere like /tmp. Then go to a terminal window and type "rpm -i <whatever_you_downloaded>.rpm" while you're logged in as root. There, now you have cvs and can download ShowEQ.

However, my guess is that since you don't have CVS, you probably don't have the rest of the packages you will need either. Once you download ShowEQ from cvs, look for a "doc" directory and read the INSTALL.newbies file. It will tell you all you need to know.

Good luck.

Edit: Yes, it's a GUI tool. You can tunnel it through ssh and display it on a remote X server if you want, but somehow I don't think that's what you were asking. You need the Qt graphics libraries to run ShowEQ, but that's all in the document I mentioned above. You only need a non-banned account because using ShowEQ is a bannable offense and you obviously can't play if your account is banned.
    Last edited by Dedpoet; 05-22-2003 at 11:37 AM.

I think you'll find what's frustrating people here is that all of your questions have been answered countless times..

Other than perhaps the EQ account thing where you apparently didn't get someone's attempt at humor in stating the obvious.
    (Vaild EQ account being required to get SEQ working) ... that one is a first.

It's ok that your new to linux ... but there's a lot to learn here if you'll just take some time and poke around.

There are complete "Dummies" guides to installing SEQ under RH8.0, with step-by-step walk throughs on this site if you'll just take the time to look.

But I actually did look.

Fester said " The "make[1]: *** [no-backup]" issue is documented in my first search hit (I am reading it RIGHT NOW.) "

Witch is very untrue, I did search for make[1]: *** [no-backup] and got this msg " The search term you specified (*) is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer."

Then I found this " http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/sh...light=nobackup "
    But the link was dead

Tried the 127 error msg with no luck also. I really don’t like it when ppl tell me that I did not search for something I did, I do understand it must be frustrating to answer the same quest over and over but from the search I performed I did not find the answer my questions and from what I know about Linux that there are allot of changes to kernel/os version that might effect the error and since I did not find a RH 8.0 help I posted this one. I really don’t want this to start a flame on my 1st day but you must understand my position on what he said and how I might have took it, I find it took it pretty well compared to younger adults.

Btw Dedpoet I believe rpm -ivh is the best way to install a package.

Also I don’t understand why it cant/wont run under any other user but root? Is it possible to give a certain user access to the files that might be needed BY root to run showeq ?

Originally posted by Dedpoet
    Yes, you need to install cvs. It's a package for Redhat if that's the distribution you are using. Go to www.rpmfind.net and put in cvs in the search box with redhat in the system box. Download the rpm for version 8 if that's what you're using. Save it somewhere like /tmp. Then go to a terminal window and type "rpm -i <whatever_you_downloaded>.rpm" while you're logged in as root. There, now you have cvs and can download ShowEQ.

However, my guess is that since you don't have CVS, you probably don't have the rest of the packages you will need either. Once you download ShowEQ from cvs, look for a "doc" directory and read the INSTALL.newbies file. It will tell you all you need to know.

Good luck.

Edit: Yes, it's a GUI tool. You can tunnel it through ssh and display it on a remote X server if you want, but somehow I don't think that's what you were asking. You need the Qt graphics libraries to run ShowEQ, but that's all in the document I mentioned above. You only need a non-banned account because using ShowEQ is a bannable offense and you obviously can't play if your account is banned.
    when i ran the " rpm -q i found that i need the qt-devel and the cvs rpms. thank for the info

So far the easiest install I've ever done is on RH8. I alwasys followd the below instructions. It's from this post.

Why not redhat 8?

When you do your RH install just install EVERYTHING. Then ya don't have to worry about missin something. Then here's what I did. Mind you I haven't done this since the newest release but I hope it's the same. Just been too busy to get to it lately. Hopefully tonight I will have time and can tell ya if I needed to do anything more.

mkdir /seq
    cd /seq
    export CVSROOT=server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
    cvs login (enter with no password at prompt)
    cvs checkout showeq
    cvs update -P
    cvs logout (it's courteous)
    cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make && make install

I did take out the part about gettin the libEQ.a file since it isn't needed now. You can find out about that in other posts.

Keep readin. If you wanna find out about this project and don't wanna get flamed then read till your eyes bleed and use the search feature. Takes more time but you'll learn more. Hope this has helped and if anyone catches a mistake I've made let me know so that when I go about reloadin my system I'll be ready.

Btw Dedpoet I believe rpm -ivh is the best way to install a package.
    You are correct on this statement. I was just typing off the top of my head and since you seemed new to Linux I didn't want to complicate anything more than necessary.

Also I don’t understand why it cant/wont run under any other user but root? Is it possible to give a certain user access to the files that might be needed BY root to run showeq ?
    It's because Seq uses libpcap to capture packets and puts the network card in promiscuous mode. This is normally only allowed by root for security reasons. You can use the "sudo" package to give another user the right to run ShowEQ. Search on "sudo" to find out how - there was a thread on in within the last couple weeks. Most people just log in as a normal user, then "su" in one console window just to run Seq.

There is a guide here:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/sh...&threadid=1995

You don't actually have to install all the packages like it says though. Just install the ones in the INSTALL.newbies doc that I pointed out before and you'll have all you need.

It puts the nic in promiscuous mode, so hypothetically would it be possible if my system has 2 nic’s to allow access for one nic to perform normal operations and have a normal showeq user have specific rights on the other card witch would allow him to run it in promiscuous mode but not compromise the security of the entire system?

Just a thought

Originally posted by Repard
    So far the easiest install I've ever done is on RH8. I alwasys followd the below instructions. It's from this post.

Why not redhat 8?

When you do your RH install just install EVERYTHING. Then ya don't have to worry about missin something. Then here's what I did. Mind you I haven't done this since the newest release but I hope it's the same. Just been too busy to get to it lately. Hopefully tonight I will have time and can tell ya if I needed to do anything more.

mkdir /seq
    cd /seq
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
    cvs checkout showeq
    cvs update -P
    cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make && make install

I did take out the part about gettin the libEQ.a file since it isn't needed now. You can find out about that in other posts.

Keep readin. If you wanna find out about this project and don't wanna get flamed then read till your eyes bleed and use the search feature. Takes more time but you'll learn more. Hope this has helped and if anyone catches a mistake I've made let me know so that when I go about reloadin my system I'll be ready.
    ya btw when i do
    it askes me for a pass i hit enter and nothing?

cvs -d:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq
    cvs checkout: Unknown method (`[email protected]') in CVSROOT.
    cvs [checkout aborted]: Bad CVSROOT: `:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq'.

is a error i get ? whats the OFFICIAL way to download showeq from cvs ? i searched for it and tryed all the ways i know of

cvs -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
    Logging in to server:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
    CVS password:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
    <hit enter at the password prompt>

When you DON"T get the connection refused/EOF error, then you're logged in.

Do the standard:

cvs -d:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq

Followed by

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq update -P

Finally:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq logout
    cvs login
    <at password prompt ht enter>
    cvs co showeq
    cvs update -P
    cvs logout

but nothing works...
    Last edited by mi6; 05-23-2003 at 03:23 PM.

Lightbulb Just a Thought!

I see that you guys get upset when people ask stupid questions about neededing help on the install or any thing else in that matter.
    I am no proffesional but just wondering why is there alot of deferent installs on the program?

for example------
    mkdir /seq
    cd /seq
    cvs checkout showeq
    cvs update -P
    cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make && make install

that is a install for redhat 8.0 with every thing installed.
    I found it on a post today because I am trying to get it installed on redhat my self seems to be working great so far I am loving the easy steps, realy helps a people like my self that never used redhat or even linux for that matter, ok now to my point.
    this is the install on the INSTALL.newbie

-------------------------------------------------
    Code:

[]# cd /seq
    []# cvs -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
    []# cvs -z3 -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq
    []# cd /seq/showeq
    []# cvs update -P
    []# cvs -d server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq logout
    Code:

[]# cd /seq/showeq/
    []# export CC=gcc3
    []# export CXX=g++3
    []# export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
    []# make -f Makefile.dist
    []# ./configure
    []# make
    []# make install
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    steps seem alot bigger here if you ask me and kind of confusing to me since I am new at the whole linux thing,
    now if you guys hate people asking stupid question about your install methods, why not make a install guide for each basic system out there for example
    readhat ( most versions )
    freeBSD
    Mandrake (most versions)
    and so on wish i realy new them all
    each system may or may not have some things installed like redhat8.0
    it says in the install guide to install QT never says I had it or even what it does so I installed thinking hey step by step instruction on the install I can't fail...
    but I was wrong...
    I think redhat8.0 already has qt not sure what version but it must is this install guide here works with out all the troubles of upgrading my system
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    mkdir /seq
    cd /seq
    cvs checkout showeq
    cvs update -P
    cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make && make install
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    well any ways I just think it would make ALL are lives much easyer for you guys to put a little work on the install guides
    I know you guys do it for free and I am greatfull for it like many others
    but ofcourse if you think about it how many times a day do you reply to some one to flame them?
    think how many hours you spent total on the poeple here? its foolish if you ask me, so spend that time making a new install guide for each system
    well them are my thoughts take it as you like! your the ready while I am the writer.

P.S but ofcourse this came to mind as well, you like to flame and give people a hard time with this, making people search for answers that are out there and making people work for what you have put together. if it was easy then all of you would have nothing to post if you ask me keep that in mind....

*tryant logs out*

There is an install guide for most systems. Search for your distro and version and one usually turns up.

You provide an excellent example of a stupid question.

You: "Why don't you guys write an install guide for most version of Linux?" You even went so far as to list specific distros.

Answer: (see above) "If you would use the search feature before asking your question, I wouldn't have to waste time pointing out the obvious."

Monster

Thread Information