Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help...Connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Help...Connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Ok before all of the use search responses come, I have used search, I have searched here and I have searched google. I have an idea why I get this message but I am not sure how to fix it.

I am running SUSE 8.2. I open a xterm window and then su. I dont su -. then I try to run /usr/local/bin/showeq and i get the disclaimer then the error

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

showeq: cannot connect to X server :0.0

but when I log into X as root I can run showeq without a problem.

I have seen answers like do a xhost + or xhost +127.0.0.1 and when i type those commands in I get the same error i get when trying to run showeq.

I think this is a issue with a default security setting in suse 8.2, like su is aliased to su - or some other easy answer but like I said I have searched here and on goolge and the answers i find dont fix my problem... Anyone have any ideas ?

Please ignore the assholes not everyone is a RTFM jerk
    Trollflamebait
    02-28-2003 01:08 PM
    I find that too many people here act all high and mighty when someone asks a question. Top 3 answers here are...

1. Use search
    2. RTFM
    3. move to RRRR please.

I am going to try and change that and provide decent answers to those "dumb questions" that people ask . Everyone was a Noob at one time.
    Trollflamebait
    02-28-2003 02:49 PM
    So let me see if I got this straight.

1. You call everyone in the forum assholes.
    2. You set out on a mission to inform the clueless newbs in a kinder and gentler way.
    3. You have made a total of 11 posts most of which have been some form of calling the people who post here nasty names.
    4. Now you are asking these same people to help you out.

hmmmmmm. Well I am sure that people will drop what they are doing and rush to your aid.
    Last edited by who_me_use_seq; 05-24-2003 at 08:59 AM.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

Originally posted by who_me_use_seq
    So let me see if I got this straight.

1. You call everyone in the forum assholes.
    2. You set out on a mission to inform the clueless newbs in a kinder and gentler way.
    3. You have made a total of 11 posts most of which have been some form of calling the people who post here nasty names.
    4. Now you are asking these same people to help you out.

hmmmmmm. Well I am sure that people will drop what they are doing and rush to help you out.
    1. I said not everyone is a RTFM jerk. Not sure I equate that into calling everyone an asshole, but rather just a select few who's whole post count consists of making fun of newbies who ask newbie questions and forget that they were once newbies too.

2. Nothing wrong with trying to help the clueless with some kindness.

3. I have never called anyone a nasty name unless they were being a jerk. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

4. Yea I am asking for help. But am I going to kiss your ass to get it. Umm NO.

5. I can run showeq when I log in xwindows as root. I dont have an issue with doing this but I thought I would ask the question not only to help me figure out this problem but to provide others that might experiance this issue a solotion too.

6. Way to go digging up quotes from feb. Have you been lying in wait just to pull those quotes out for the first time I ask a question here ?

7. Thanks for letting me know that I should create 2 logins here. One to ask questions with and one to troll with.

6. Way to go digging up quotes from feb. Have you been lying in wait just to pull those quotes out for the first time I ask a question here ?
    No I just used the search button.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

why

I don't know why I am answering, but the answer can be found on google. Since you may (like the last person) say I didn't actually see an article that shows how to fix this error, I will say the article ended with this msg00335.html on the URL.

Edit: Well to clear up. I DID see an article how to fix it and I listed the last part of the URL as "proof" since a different newbie said I didn't find an answer (when I replied "I found it in a search" to him.)
    Last edited by fester; 05-24-2003 at 07:10 PM.

Hmm.. i found it in one search on groups.google.com... but I guess we're both jerks now fester... I'm not sure if I can live with that stigma..

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

And the solotion is...
    you have to type xhost +localhost (or xhost +LOCAL before you 'su' to
    root. then you might have to set the DISPLAY-variable. in bash this means:
    export DISPLAY=localhost:0 or
    export DISPLAY=:0

I was trying to do a xhost + after I did su.

In the future I will make sure I use a different login to ask questions.

In the future, you should search first, and ask questions later.

Especially with a question like this that has nothing to do with SEQ.

fine

I have came to the conclusion that the people that ask questions like this (SO SIMPLE TO FIND AN ANSWER) must not want an answer. They must just wish to be an annoyance and cause trouble.

Funny

Wow these boards are going downhill. On one side we have the people who never search. On the other we have the people who love to point that out. And now we have me, the person who think's it is all very funny.

Always remember that fighting on the internet is like running in the special Olympics, even if you win, you are still retarded.

It is also amusing that so many people respond. Use search is a valid reply, but it does not take twelve people posting it to get the point across. The first person stating "RTFM" is making a valid point. The other eleven are just flaming.

Thanks
    Last edited by grimjack; 05-26-2003 at 03:42 AM.

In the future, you should search first, and ask questions later.
    I did do a search. I searched here, I searched google, I searched google groups. All the solotions I found when i searched did not work for me. I was trying to do a xhost + and was getting the same error, the answer for me was to do the xhost + before i su. That solotion did not show up in the context I was searching frankly because I was including SuSe in my search as I thought it was something associated with Suse 8.2 as I had never had this problem with SuSE 8.1 or any Redhat or Mandrake distrabution. When I finaly droped the SuSe from my search then the answer I needed showed up in relation to BSD, go figure.

So trust me I did search, crap I called friends that are unix gurus who told me to do the xhost + or xhost +127.0.0.1 but I got the same error. And frankly I still dont understand why I had to run the command as a restricted user before I changed to super user.

Originally posted by Trollflamebait
    And the solotion is...
    you have to type xhost +localhost (or xhost +LOCAL before you 'su' to
    root. then you might have to set the DISPLAY-variable. in bash this means:
    export DISPLAY=localhost:0 or
    export DISPLAY=:0

I was trying to do a xhost + after I did su.

In the future I will make sure I use a different login to ask questions.
    its more fun to use xauth to merge your users X authority after becoming superuser. Oh, and its also more secure.
    casey AT trifocus DOT net

That solotion did not show up in the context I was searching frankly because I was including SuSe in my search as I thought it was something associated with Suse 8.2 as I had never had this problem with SuSE 8.1 or any Redhat or Mandrake distrabution. When I finaly droped the SuSe from my search then the answer I needed showed up in relation to BSD, go figure.
    because you were searching in the wrong context, you didnt find it. It wasnt a Suse problem, its an issue with X11, and as such thats the context to be looking in.

So trust me I did search, crap I called friends that are unix gurus who told me to do the xhost + or xhost +127.0.0.1 but I got the same error. And frankly I still dont understand why I had to run the command as a restricted user before I changed to super user.
    Frankly, you dont understand because you have not take then time to learn the what and why behind your actions, you just want the answer.

Here it is. When you start X as a user, that user owns the display (the X server). As such, only that user can connect X client apps to it. So as a user, if you want to start an xterm, and attempt to connect it to your local screen (display :0.0), it works. Yay. If you attempt to start an xterm as any other user (be it a normal user or root), you cannot, beucase other users are not authorized to send you clients. Now we take xhost, another xclient app. xhost adds machines to the list who are authorized to connect xclients to you. So by sayings "xhost +", you are saying, "let anyone in the world connect to me". Now when you run showeq (an xclient) as root, and send it to your users display, it works.

Why cant you xhost as root? Because root@localhost is not authorized to connect to your users xserver, so it cannot change teh access lists. You can however as root run "xauth merge < ~user/.Xauthority" and merge your users X authority into your own, and then connect ot the xserver. This is also more secure as it does not open your xserver up to unwanted connections.

Why dont you want to open it up? Well, for a couple examples, i could spawn an infinite loop sending your millions of xclocks for fun, or 2, i could send over a nice little X client app that lets me assume control of your display, and now i've just compromised your user account, and if you have any windows open with a root shell, i think i'll change some passwords while im at it. Now i can get root remotely, thanks.
    casey AT trifocus DOT net

Bing...we have a winner. Nice answer Casey. Since I havent had the need to do it, I didnt even think of the vunerability it could cause.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Thread Information