Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Script for Updating seq

My Script for Updating seq

Hey guys, just wanted to post the script I use to update SEQ. This is derived from info from a few different posts on this forum. Also, this is for a Redhat 7.1 machine that has already had various packages installed and/or updated (these are listed elsewhere in this forum) and the latest QT installed. The other assumptions is that it is run as root and that seq is installed in the /seq directory. Hope it's useful to somebody (it works great for me)

I have a file called updateseq that I gave execute permissions (chmod 755 updateseq) in my /root folder. Here is the contents

mkdir /seq
    cd /seq
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/seq
    cvs login
    cvs checkout showeq
    cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
    export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
    export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export CXX=g++3
    export CC=gcc
    ./configure
    make
    make install

Xith

edit: refined script based on feedback on this thread
    Last edited by Xith; 06-16-2003 at 03:03 PM.

Put an extra : in there and you won't get a password prompt.
    Code:
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/seq
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Re: My Script for Updating seq

Remove these lines and remove all lib[eE][qQ].a files from your system.

Why remove the libeq.a files? Do they have to be removed because they cause harm if they are left where ever they are located?

This is a new discovery that will make your life easier.

My recommendation: NEVER use scripts to do this thing. If you do, sooner or later (rather sooner) you'll be back here, asking the stupid question "why doesn't my script work anymore?"
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Originally posted by Aurelius
    Why remove the libeq.a files? Do they have to be removed because they cause harm if they are left where ever they are located?
    Hmm...

1) Because they are no longer used.
    2) Because that wastes the bandwidth of smurfette.trifocus.net.
    3) Because the file will never be needed again.
    4) Because if a file like it is needed, it will be a different file.
    5) Because it would waste time/cpu to execute the wgets.

I could probably think of more, but this is all I can this early in the
    morning.

Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious
    My recommendation: NEVER use scripts to do this thing. If you do, sooner or later (rather sooner) you'll be back here, asking the stupid question "why doesn't my script work anymore?"
    I agree (imagine that)

If at all possible, you really should do things by hand and try to understand on at least a basic level what is happening and why you are doing it. Then... make a script.

I realize that the above advice is a pipe dream but honestly it is something you should strive for.

Thanks for feedback guys, I'll update my script. I'm an engineer, I like automation when feasible.

Xith

I'm an engineer
    And so is everyone that's going to use this script? Or are you going to supply infinite support with problems that users will encounter if they use your script (once it starts being outdated) aswell?

PS: If you do a small search using the search engine you will find that scripts like this one (EXACTLY the same) are being posted about once per 2 months.
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 06-15-2003 at 05:20 PM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Fester

You need to cool aid out, take a break from all that coffee. ))

My point was it is only one file. Leave it lie. It doesn't hurt anyone and since it doesn't have to be downloaded, so what if it sits and takes a few bits of storage. I wasn't looking for a guide to the galaxy answer anyways, just a simple reason of why it would be necessary. Guess it's not necessary, so on my drive it can stay )).

This is a new discovery that will make your life easier.

Aurelius agree.....it is sad. Here is a guy who offered up a possible help for folks but the boards are now dominated by preadolescent boys who constantly pounce on ANY thing not of their liking. They have ran off anyone asking any questions. Since that pool has dried up they are now lurking and jump folks that post helpful information. The real joke is it is aways under the guise of “don’t waste message board space –use the search key you jerk”. I bet if we added all the disk space up for useful information and compared it to the kiddy (not chronologically but behavior wise) complainers they probably eat up as much space.
    Fact is these boards use to be a wealth of exchanging information but now it’s not worth it. I use to post stuff a lot and got tired of the tantrums thrown by lurkers.
    SEQ use to be a vibrant evolving product with lots of input and fixes on CVS very quickly but now it limps along due primary to the hostility on the boards..it’s a shame. It is only working partly now due to the codepig guy, the kiddies dang near ran him off before they realized he had the key to getting SEQ working after months of it not working.
    I am sorry to say now that they are total control of the boards SEQ will crawl along (as it is now) STATUS: GREEN (sorta maybe if you patch it).

People like you need to think to yourself, "If I said this to someone in real life would they launch me through a wall?"

Would get you far in life.

Could possibly put an end to them lonely nights of sitting in front of your keyboard wondering why your phone never rings.

The poor guy put up a script that probably will help some people get their ShowEQ working. Sure, Maybe it will break in the future but for the moment it may get a few people up and running who are having problems.. More power to him and screw off whoever is putting down someone trying to help.

Or is that the issue, that you just want to be elitist and make sure as little people wind up using ShowEQ as possible?

You can blame people like yourselves for the existence of a windows showeq-like program. People who got fed up with the "RTFM!" collective.

It's the people screaming "RTFM!" who usually know the least about what they are talking about. It's like visiting the #linux or #linuxhelp channels on IRC to ask them a question and all you hear back is "RTFM!", it seems to me it's because they only thing they have a clue on how to help people with is how to get dial up networking to work right.

Try being polite and nice to people but I guess that's why many wrap themselves in EQ because they can be jackasses with no repricussions.

Actually it used to be (and still might be) that SEQ was to be kept from the masses as much as possible. Why? To keep VI/SOE from doing their best to fully break it.

The problem with scripts like the one posted here is the lack of fault logic in it. If one step fails it just keeps going which makes it harder for someone to figure out what/where it went south.

Originally posted by Stratus
    It's the people screaming "RTFM!" who usually know the least about what they are talking about. It's like visiting the #linux or #linuxhelp channels on IRC to ask them a question and all you hear back is "RTFM!", it seems to me it's because they only thing they have a clue on how to help people with is how to get dial up networking to work right.
    I can see by your one post that you have contributed a whole lot to this project. I think that you can take your wealth of information elsewhere. It is people like you who are not needed here.

There was not one mention of RTFM until you posted this drivel.

As for the script, it was nice of xith to post it, but as was said, there have been like 5 or so posted already. Second, it does generate posts of "My script doesnt work. I downloaded from here. Someone help me now". People really need to learn how to get this to work on their own...then make up their own scripts.

As for Mr. Suspicious, he has helped a lot of people in the past. He just stated his opinion and didnt really flame anyone about it. There is nothing to get upset about. Its not like he said remove this script or I will kill everyone and their mothers....
    Last edited by BlueAdept; 06-16-2003 at 02:21 PM.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Some things...

a.) Glad to see that there is actually *some* maturity around here.
    b.) Mr. Suspicious: bite me. I haven't had the time to contribute to *this* particular project because there's a thing that adults have called "REAL LIFE", especially when they become parents which I hope you never do.
    c.) Don't make things harder than they need to be. I don't think verant can do much about showeq technically. And now that Brad is gone, I don't think the interest level is as high
    d.) And lastsly, guys CHILL OUT, this is just a game here.....

Xith

Thread Information