Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I learn this stuff?

Talking Where do I learn this stuff?

I've been working/playing with computers sense 3. (Unfortunatly more work than play.) Sense then ive gotten tons of certifications, but only on the Hardware/OS repair side (eg., CompTIA A+, etc.) Im very adept in both linux and windows, and mac's are a joke but nailed those too. So my question is where do I need to start to learn to create things like ShowEQ and how to program and debug. This would be an entirely new feild for me but ide love to get started and I couldnt think of a better group of people to ask. Thanks in advance, and go ahead and flame me if it will make you feel better. (if you (im sure you will) find a reason to)

Details such as,
    1) Books you reccomend
    2) Classes you reccomend
    3) Sites you reccomend
    4) How you got started
    ...would all be greatly appriciated.
    HACKED!

look 3rd line of sig ...
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

WTF has Greater Faydark or Elves got to do with learning?

Originally posted by speedphreak
    WTF has Greater Faydark or Elves got to do with learning?

can't even count to 3???

I've been working/playing with computers sense 3. (Unfortunatly more work than play.) Sense then ive gotten tons of certifications
    Ok, English as a second language doesn't work well with programming

Hmm its 1. Obstacle to overcome !

Try to find what is the real information ... or "to count or not to count" the blank line
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

1.-- Lord Crush<br />
    2. <br />
    3. Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !<br />

numb nuts

There is a good (sticky) posting in the general discussion on where to start learn programming (don't care about good style, you won't need it for SEQ *g*)

There have been several ones in this forum where to start if you want to understand the packet decoding stuff.

I've been working/playing with computers sense 3. (Unfortunatly more work than play.) Sense then ive gotten tons of certifications,
    Sounds like your best bet would be to start with Hooked on Phonics.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

This was in the General Discussion section.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/sh...&threadid=3095
    ---- ---- ---- ----
    and this I found while searching for "C++ Programming"
    Http://www.cprogramming.com
    I like this site better then the book I bought "Practical C++ Programming" it is by O'Rielly and written by Steve Oulline. I am sure I spelled his last name wrong. IMO, I think the cprogramming site is more detailed and describes lines of code in more detail. I am very new to the programming world and these are the resources I am using now and I have been gaining a lot more knowledge. Later this year after I feel I have learned all I can on my own I am going to take some community college classes to see if this is really what I want to do. So Far, it looks like it
    Spelling is a must! If one thing is spelled wrong it blows the whole program. I racked my brain for 20min the other night trying to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong on this 30 line tutorial. Behold! I had a typo. As for myself I think I am going to take a Fall class to freshen up my math skills. Thats a good must too.
    Confucius Says:
    He who posts without searching first; shall be flamed the worst!

Thanks Cheshire,

While everyone else was flaming about searching I appriciate your responce.

Quite frankly you guys need to take the "post" button and just relink it to "search." That might be a start to end the flaming that people come here to do.
    HACKED!

While everyone else was flaming about searching
    You have a strange definition of the term "flame". If you have a big dislike of searching for information already handy available in this forum and on other forums on the Net (as you indicate with your post above), then I recommend to not even start... You'll be frustrated in no-time, better save yourself and others the frustration and agony.
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 07-09-2003 at 04:34 PM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Smile Congratulations! You deserve a prize!

You have a strange definition of the term "flame". If you have a big dislike of searching for information already handy available in this forum and on other forums on the Net (as you indicate with your post above), then I recommend to not even start... You'll be frustrated in no-time, better save yourself and others the frustration and agony.
    This is what many forum administrators consider poor posting. Nothing more than a flame or spam (any negative word works) that does nothing but waste space and make the search feature less accurate (by adding matches where NOT necessary.)

I run several message boards myself and flaming from an administrater’s point of view is when someone takes it upon them selves to waste board space with useless comments and lame comebacks instead of ANSWERS. It also DESTROYS the "Search" feature because all of the sudden you have 50 matches because some dumb f*ck decides to flame on a forum instead of simply making a link reference or to the one they should have posted at. (50 flamed useless search hits vs. 1 obviously good forum on topic and to the point)

Also, with heavy bandwidth; every page counts, even on truly efficient MySQL setups such as this one, bandwidth = cost.

So feel free to continue to flame on topics people will search for because when they see 50 flamed out forums they wont be able to find what they are looking for and will simply start a new forum.

No one makes you post here, so why make it more expensive, slower, and harder to find things by creating pages and pages of flames. If you don’t want to answer someone... simply don’t. If you feel you can help them and want to... do.

As for the administrators, programmers, debuggers and those who post here for results you guys are all great. The forums are very helpful and informative and the software is amazing. To the administrators; when the time comes to clean up the boards (if) when bandwidth becomes an issue, I wish you luck.

So please, go ahead and flame this and slowly destroy the forums yourselves. This thread in particular should be closed sense it has already been hijacked and cannot resolve anything else on the topic.
    HACKED!

Re: Congratulations! You deserve a prize!

Originally posted by CitricGuy
    This is what many forum administrators consider poor posting. Nothing more than a flame or spam (any negative word works) that does nothing but waste space and make the search feature less accurate (by adding matches where NOT necessary.)

I run several message boards myself and flaming from an administrater’s point of view is when someone takes it upon them selves to waste board space with useless comments and lame comebacks instead of ANSWERS. It also DESTROYS the "Search" feature because all of the sudden you have 50 matches because some dumb f*ck decides to flame on a forum instead of simply making a link reference or to the one they should have posted at. (50 flamed useless search hits vs. 1 obviously good forum on topic and to the point)
    Ok...I have a question for you. If you run several message boards (and have all those certs) then how come you didnt know to use the search button in the first place? As was demonstrated there are already several good threads on where to learn this stuff and all you had to do was to actually use the search button instead of wasting our time.

Im sorry but anyone who is in the IT field KNOWS that searching is always your best bet.....if your answer doenst turn up on the message board your reading, go to google or one of the other search engines and there is a 99% chance you will find what your looking for.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Man, I’m really sorry, I assumed you were literate. Way to “quote” before you “read.”

Ill do my best to help you pronounce those words

KEY
    ++++++++
    Man = (m-ah'-n)
    I = (ie)
    Am = ( amn' )
    Really = (ree-lee)
    Sorry = (soh-ree )
    Assumed = (ahh-soo-mm-ed)
    You = (yOO )
    Were = (wîr)
    Literate = (L-hit't-ar-it)
    Way = (wa-aie')
    To = (tOO ; tooh' when unstressed)
    Quote = (k-woht)
    Before =(b -fôrh)
    Read = (r-ee-d)

I hope that helps you. If you need more help with basic reading skills you can check out the Pronunciation Key at http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html Best of luck with your common sense and literacy. Feel free to ask me for help if you get stuck on the big words.

Try the "Cat in the Hat" maby, that should be about your skill level. And if your gona reply to this post, why dont you actually read the "ENTIRE" thing this time.

GOOD LUCK!
    HACKED!

Thread Information