Thread: Magelo

Question Magelo

Just curious, and i'm sure this has been brought up before, so move into R^6 if needed, but anyone think of puttin' a magelo updater inside of SEQ? I'm not programmer by any means although i have dabbled in C and C++, but it seems to be that most* information that SEQ can see, magelo sees as well.

The only issue that i could see with this is that you'd need a memory sniffer on the windows machine since Magelo looks to RAM for info rather than network traffic, or so it seems.

Anyway, just an idea.

Cheers!

-Raksul

Before you can think of this you need to have a documentation of the Magelo Update Protocol and how the passwords are handeled ...

and i am not sure Magelo would like it
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

I still just want to see something that will rip his database to a local file.

I still just want to see something that will rip his database to a local file.
    Not exactly "ripping". Ripping is bad, it means stealing someone elses work which, as you agree, is wrong.

This will however allow you to create and log your own database: The thing you're looking for is itemdb.cpp. You only have to update it to the current data structure.
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 07-16-2003 at 12:49 AM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

I have extended the bankfile a little, it was working with the version of seq before POP last year ... i am working on the diffs to get it working with the current seq ... perhaps it is that waht you want
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

Real

I think the real question is how to obtain a relatively accurate compilation of item structures. You would need the raw data to be able to correct for inaccurate translations.

Lucy and Magelo transmit the whole structure into their databases, but neither will provide this information for others to use.

Your options are to make your own client and have people run it or to write scripts to decode their web sites (not hard at all, but you must deal with items they translate incorrectly and that is why I abandoned a perfectly working magelo item mirror program.)

I have the ability to construct a new client that can duplicate what the Magelo and Lucy clients do. I would make the information available in raw form. The question at hand is "would a significant number of ShowEQ users install said program?"

"would a significant number of ShowEQ users install said program?"
    If you make the logged items available in a "easy" readable output to the contributers (for instance as CSV a la "hackersquest EQcollector") you only need a few octets of people (24 to 32 should be enough) using it to catch 99% of all items ingame.

Possibly even less, as you only would need a few dedicated people that WANT the database to be as complete as possible AND available to them for their guildwebsite etc.

Before Verant garbled up item data in memory I had a proggy that cathed item data from merchants, corpses, itemlinks and inventory. By running around for a few weeks, visiting every merchant in every zone (merchants already had 80 slots at that time) and attend all raids and looking at the loot of each "boss" kill we made in that timeframe and bugging my guildmates to no end to send me item links, I was able to collect a grande total of 28.000 individual unique items. Specifically The Bazaar was good for 100's of new items each visit.

Ofcourse to be 100% succesfull there are a few things needed that you might not want (for whatever reasons):

a) Windows platform based (runs in the background while playing) to reach the non Techies that want to contribute by logging items for the community yet have not enough knowledge of the Linux platform.

b) Open Source. For the Techies, so they can change things, add things, check it for what it does, learn from the code, keep it up and running after you've went on to another project in 3 years =P

c) Distributed raw data of all data collected by the whole community, or at the very least the items one particular "logger" logged. Distributed (or saved) in easy parsable format for those that only have knowledge of the ASP and/or PHP language (see a)
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 07-16-2003 at 03:58 PM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

I'd use that client, fester, as long as it was open source and I could compile it myself. I'd also be happy to see the itemdb part of SEQ working again. I have huge amounts of difficulty with the item structs, though (GDBM, too - I'm a MySQL guy). Maybe it's time for me to dust off the old C++ books and try my hand at changing the itemdb stuff to MySQL?

Thumbs up Yes...I would

Yes, I would use that client and I would make it a project to heavily contribute to the data gathering. I'm lurking...looking for any way to help out.

Da Bugh

One thing I wish Magelo and Lucy would do is list where the item dropped. For example when a new item (i.e. not currently in the itemDB) is looted from an NPC corpse or recieved via a quest, the zone and NPC name should be noted in the item description. Heck you could even note the /loc where the item was obtained.

Now I don't know if this is even feasible but it would make the ItemDB al the more useful. No more people saying "Looky what I got! but I'm not gonna tell you where it came from."
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Originally posted by S_B_R
    One thing I wish Magelo and Lucy would do is list where the item dropped. For example when a new item (i.e. not currently in the itemDB) is looted from an NPC corpse or recieved via a quest, the zone and NPC name should be noted in the item description. Heck you could even note the /loc where the item was obtained.

Now I don't know if this is even feasible but it would make the ItemDB al the more useful. No more people saying "Looky what I got! but I'm not gonna tell you where it came from."
    I've just got to emphatically agree with SBR here.

I will see about packaging up something like this as soon as I can. I will also need to acquire some web site hosting to accept the submissions. This will take several weeks at least.

Send me a PM with what you might need, exactly, and I'll see what I can do.
    The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

Just wondering if this is still something you'd like to do, fester. =)

I've got the hosting covered for ya if needed, fester.

Thread Information