Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update in Radius only?

Update in Radius only?

Hello people!

Just a q:
    Did Sony change it or is it Yellows SEQ fault that mobs and players are only updated in a small radius around the player? The rest of the zone is frozen and only updating when i come near stuff. Mostly recognized in a zone with a lot of moving stuff, you see the radius around you, where every mob "stops". The resulting figure is a circle of mobs around you.

If it is Sony, i cant blame them. Sending the entire zone over and over is a major reason for lag..

-Demon.

would that not break tracking if it were true?

I dont run the newest version of SEQ (play on localized server) but i cannot think of a way to cut down the information to less than the whole zone without changing the complete structure of EQ. It depends that all infos of a Zone are availible ... so it seems to be a bug in SEQ .. i have read this in other threads ...

So please do a SEARCH before posting

Edit ... and yes it would break tracking and some other things ...
    Last edited by LordCrush; 07-20-2003 at 01:24 PM.
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

I noticed the same thing

What needs to be sent for current model of EQ to work (e.g. track characters).

1) all mob info on zone in
    2) spawn and death of mobs
    3) arrival/departure of characters
    4) movement of mobs/characters within a given radius of char (say 3 - 4 times maximum visible range).

Track would work to a degree. In fact would behave more realistically. Instead of pointing you at the mob, it would point you to where you last knew the mob to be. Get close enough and it will repoint you in the right direction. They seem to have been heading towards this for a while (e.g. player position updates, reducing updates of mobs to movement, etc...).

Yep, the way mob position/movement data is sent was changed awhile back. Mob location data seems to only update when you are in range. Also when a mob starts moving you are updated with the Starting location, speed and direction. Where the mob stops is not sent, only when the mob begins to move again will it's location be updated, otherwise the mob appears to continue off in a straight line from where it started, with no regard for zone walls or etc.

At first glance it looks like the old ghosting problem, but there seems to be some method to the madness.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Very noticable in OT

This change is very noticable in large outdoor zones such as OT. I was standing stationary for a very long time there and ended up with a Semi-circle of mobs around me. I assume this is the "cone of visibility" of sorts that SOE is using to limit 1) how much data they must continually send and 2) limit the functionallity of sniffer programs.

Monster

I had the same semi circle of mobs around me last night in Skyfire. I think it might be related to not having all the opcodes correct, though. I know my version doesn't allow for mobs to "stop moving," -- they keep going in a straight line on ShowEQ after they stop in EQ.

Hmmm, that's probably closer to the truth KaL. But it does seem to effect in-game tracking in a similar fashion..

Hoepfully it is just an opcode thing, that would atleast be fixable from this end.
    Last edited by S_B_R; 07-21-2003 at 12:17 PM.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

It seems to me that it must be an opcode thing since SEQ and EQ do not agree on where a mob is. The EQ server only sent a direction and speed when something started moving, eventually you would see it run in front of you, like the ghosting problem. What I am seeing is the mob run past me in SEQ, but I am not seeing the same mob in EQ. So something must be telling the client that the mob either stopped, changed direction, died, or just gave up existance.

Just a thought ... has MySEQ the same "feature" now ?... if not the info must be "somewhere out there"
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

Just so happens I compared MySEQ and SEQ last night and found that MySEQ did not have the problem. Mobs on MySEQ showed correctly and did not drift when the Mob in EQ stopped.

execellent.

likely

It may be as simple as the structure format and/or opcode is different for these two cases.

Originally posted by Tomax
    Just so happens I compared MySEQ and SEQ last night and found that MySEQ did not have the problem. Mobs on MySEQ showed correctly and did not drift when the Mob in EQ stopped.
    Thank You
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

Thread Information