Thread: network question

network question

ok, i've been lurking forever... i know the standard install methods.

My hub died "office connect 8/tp100 3c16720 (power continually cycles about twice a second... fan never spins up, all led's blink etc) " so im trying to get everything up and running again with what i currently have.

Little background
    ISP= Cable modem
    Have a router
    have a 10mbit hub
    had the 100mbit hub

Reason for the complication is i run 4 eq boxes. I am almost positive this won't work but

Could i set it up like

.............|--seq box
    hub------|
    ..............|--router
    .................-- box1
    .................-- box2
    .................-- box1
    .................-- box2

(sorry for all the edits, trying to get the formatting right

just a shot in the dark...I would have tried it already but recently moved and don't have net access yet.

I know the 10mbit hub i have works with showeq, but i do alot of file transfers between my boxes and would really hate going back to 10mbit
    Last edited by l0s3r; 08-01-2003 at 04:33 PM.

I am almost positive this won't work
    You're right.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

thanks.

Anyone have any recomendations on a 100mbit hub?

anyone have any experience with this:

Manufacturer: SMC
    Mfg Item Number: SMC5208TX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11180

Last edited by l0s3r; 08-01-2003 at 05:23 PM.

100 Mbit hubs are switches. In the big wide world there may be an exception to this but I have yet to see it.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

The D-Link DSH-5 is a 10/100 true hub; I use one in my setup. They don't make them anymore, but you can still find them on the web and even at retail stores if you look hard. A nice bonus is that they have 5 ports instead of the usual 4.

hubs

From my experience, Cisco Hubs, Cisco Switches (because you can replicate packets), and Nortel Hubs are the only options remaining.

If you play with them, you should be able to make any linksys 10/100 "hub" behave as such. By merely hooking up your 10mbit hub to it (nothing else hooked to it, you just need a 10mbit connection on it) it should work.

I have something like this, an 8 port 10/100 "hub" with an old unused 10mbit router plugged in makes the 100mbit portion into a real hub. its a kludge, but it works.

Actually, its even more complicated than that ;p

To get the file sharing performance, I have an 8 port switch with all my workstations hooked to it (linksys). That daisy chains to an 8 port 10/100 "hub". On this "hub" is two packet sniffers (one for daoc and one for eq), the uplink to my 4 port router and that 10mbit old unused router i mentioned earlier. I don't even want to TRY and draw a picture of that, but it works

Interesting Fry, Hmmm…

I guess switches “should” work if connected correct. I may be wrong but in theory this should work.

If you have all your workstations on the normal ports and then use a crossover cable for SEQ box and plug it into Uplink.

PS: Warning, if you do not know any words in this post, do not try this.

Netgear makes 10/100 hubs that the 10baseT and the 100baseT segments work as one would expect a hub would work. I don't have the model number handy though sorry.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11179

ordered an 8 port version of the above, from the same person.. it was only 15 bucks so i won't feel disappointed if it doesn't work.

Tried searching actual network manufacturers websites and they all seem to be 10/100 at this point. Trying to be everything for everybody i guess.

If it doesn't work i'll just add a 2nd NIC card to my linux box and make the eq box go through it. Or put all my hard drives in another system off the hub.

Its not actually possible for a 10/100 "hub" to work as a hub between the planes. Since the speeds are different, what you have is two "hubs" in one box which are connected by a switch. The 10mbit portion is a hub and the 100mbit portion is a hub. These two "hubs" are connected by a switch.

This means that there are some interesting combinations that will and will not work on one of these "hubs".

If all your systems are 100mbit and your sniffing box is 10mbit NOTHING WILL EVER WORK because the packets never have to goto the 10mbit hub to get out. If your sniffing box is 10mbit AND your inet connection is 10mbit it WILL work because all the outbound packets HAVE to goto the 10mbit hub to get out (of course, this assumes you have your 10mbit cable modem and 10mbit sniffer hooked to the "hub"). If all your boxes are 10mbit and your sniffing box is 100mbit, again you won't be able to sniff. If you add a 100mbit inet connection, it will.

It may be akward to grasp, but once you know how certain devices work and you know that your goal is to make your internet bound packets pass by, through or near your sniffing box it can all sort of make some sort of perverted sense.

One easy way around your particular issue (if the seq box isn't your file server) would be to plug your cable modem into a 10mbit hub and plug your seq computer into that same hub. You would then uplink that 10mbit only hub to your router device. Your seq box doesn't even need an ip, just a simple "ifconfig eth0 up" with no ip will get you sniffing.

If your seq box is your file server but you don't want it to be your gateway... do the same thing but add another network card to the linux box and plug it into your switch with the other computers. Then eth0 has no ip and sniffs and eth1 is your actual link to the network. Bam, sniffing and 100mbit performance for file sharing AND your seq box is NOT your gateway so you don't need to worry about something blowing it up and taking your network down.

I am a firm believer in the "your router should not do anything else" theory. I prefer hardware router devices, but have no objection to a dedicated software router as long as it isn't windows based

That cheep ass hub i got works great. Would recommend it to anyone...

Its not fancy, but its 100mbit, cheap, and effective.

Thread Information