Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Erratic Performance - 4.3.10

Erratic Performance - 4.3.10

I have looked around to see if anyone has posted a similar topic. It seem slike nothing has been posted yet.

I have version 4.3.10 working on my system. It seems to decode the zone fine when I first zone in. However - I lose track of some PCs when they run around - I can't pin it on distance - because they do not come and go on the display.

Also it seems that I do not see new mobs as they spawn - or that new spawns turn up as "unknown" when they do.

I minimized the main seq screen - and noticed that I was getting errors related to BAD CRC - and packets being discarded. This was not happening continuously - but on occassion. The screen was by no means flooded.

I am running on a P2-400 class machine. My primary suspicion is the processor can't keep up with the activity. I have ordered a new MB and CPU to fix it - but wanted to pursue this forum in parallel.

Has anyone else seen the problem?

Are there any work arounds for it?
    Wiz60
    The Lurker at the Threshold

-- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

Thanks for the reference.

I checked the Development and General Discussion forums.

Never thought to look at Help Desk. I honestly believe this is a development issue - not a "how do I do it" issue. While I am not above questioning my own abilities - I have been using SEQ since it's HackersQuest days. I really did not expect any user to solve this problem. I am relieved that others are seeing it also.

LOL - had I posted this first I could have saved the money I am spending on a MB upgrade - oh well - I will have lightning fast Linux - with Unknown Spawns.
    Wiz60
    The Lurker at the Threshold

Hehe,

i am runnig SEQ with 3 or 4 Sessions on an Athlon 500 / 512 MB worke fine just before the last patch.

But i had a similar looking Problem some time ago and then it was a defect Hub ...

btw ... i find its good placed here too, after some more people have that problem

-- LC
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

I regularly run 2 SEQ seesions on a 400MHz Celeron with 256meg of ram. Before that I regularly ran 2 SEQ sessions on a 233MHz Cyrix with 64meg of ram.

What I'm saying is, CPU performance isn't a problem on any machine built in the last 6 years or so...
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Originally posted by S_B_R
    I regularly run 2 SEQ seesions on a 400MHz Celeron with 256meg of ram. Before that I regularly ran 2 SEQ sessions on a 233MHz Cyrix with 64meg of ram.

What I'm saying is, CPU performance isn't a problem on any machine built in the last 6 years or so...
    Heh, you mean I can run 2 sessions to track both toons?? LOL didn't know that!
    LINUX n00b

Yeah, if you're 2 boxing using 2 seperate machines it works great. Just point one instance of SEQ at each IP address. If you are 2 boxing on 1 PC it works but it's a little less clean.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

I am running .10 on a pentium-233, and I have updates cranked down to 5 fps, but it works fine.

Based on your symptoms, I would suspect hardware issues. Start by looking at your system logs; you may have a dead/dying network interface card.

nah the unknown spawns thing is a known problem, since the last EQ patch.

Packet CRC errors sounds like a hardware issue. <shrug> Wasn't aware that it was a known issue; it seems to work fine for me.

I am running .10 with the /con patch and the bazaartracker patch.

Originally posted by S_B_R
    Yeah, if you're 2 boxing using 2 seperate machines it works great. Just point one instance of SEQ at each IP address.
    OMG...I never thought of that...Sometimes the simplest things can be so hard to see...

I would like to bring this back from the discussion about 2-boxing to the real problem

@monklett: Yes it *could* be somthing with the hardware. I had a similar problem in February and it resolved as a bad hub. But the main difference to that was, that i was the only one who had that error.
    And i am getting the same error too if i run SEQ in a VMWare session on my notebook that i use for packet analysis while work... the NIC in the notebook works and the VMInstallation of SEQ works too (I have checked that with a friend who does not have the problem).
    Anyway i will change my hub today evening just to test that. Need to oragnize a "new" and "real" Hub first

On the other hand ... what can we do to track that ugly bug down ?

I am not familiar with the packet decoding part of SEQ ... perhaps someone from the DEV-Team can give a hint where to place some debug code or such.

Let me again sumon up the symptomes from the other thread

Complied 4.3.9 yesterday just fine, on initial zone-in everything works and i get colored spawns.
    But every spawn after this is shown as unknown.

Running SUSE 7.3, Gcc 3.03, Qt 3.0.5
    Same here. The initial dump of mobs is fine, but the new spawns are not quit correct. I've also noticed the code for removing ground spawns after being picked up are not working.
    I get only unknown spawns after initial Zonein ... if i turn of "Create unknown spawns" i see no new spawns
    Hmmmm, I was in PoV lastnight for most of the time, and cleared the quite a few mobs, all of which respawned an known spawns. Not really much of a test I know, where I did see unknowns was in PoK lot's a of PC traffic through there.
    Still getting only unknown spawns after intital zonein .. with the new Version 4.3.10 too

The output on the console looks everytime like this, but it is not the same opcode every time:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loaded map: '/usr/local/share/showeq/Poknowledge.map'
    No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_poknowledge.conf'.
    Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
    Your player's id is 2344
    WARNING: MakeDropCode (00f3) (dataLen:2 != sizeof(makeDropStruct):94)!
    dispatchSplitData(): WARNING OpCode 0xc552 will not be processed due to loss
    dispatchSplitData(): recieved new fragment seq 0x0008 before completion of 0x0007
    Lost sync, relog or zone to reset
    uncompress failed on 0xb2c5: data error
    no further attempts will be made until zone.Player::backfill():
    Loaded map: '/usr/local/share/showeq/Potranquility.map'
    No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_potranquility.conf'.
    Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
    Lost sync, relog or zone to reset
    uncompress failed on 0xb2c5: data error
    no further attempts will be made until zone.Your player's id is 1514
    I had it happen to me last night with 4.3.9 upon zoning into Dreadlands. Funny thing is, I had just came from there and was there approx. 5-6 hours with spawns respawning as known the whole time, and then bugged when I came back from banking in PoK. So it's not a for sure thing that it will always bug like that, at least from my experience last night.
    Same here, upon zone in, I get all the skittles but every new spawn is unknown.

Tested Zones: Nadox, Grimling Forrest, Acrylia Caverns

Tarball: 4.3.9 and 4.3.10
    Have tried it on new SUSE 8.2/8.3 but works not better ... so no outdated library :/
    Same issue on Redhat 9....everything is fine upon zone in, but everything (Players and Mobs) all show up as unknown after that...
    Last edited by LordCrush; 09-03-2003 at 12:49 AM.
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

It might be a Hardware Issue... or just coincidence.

But yesterday my USR Broadband Router stopped working and went into transparent mode (routing the WAN port direct to the built-in switch) and guess what: I got no more unknown spawns and corpses turned out to be crosses again.

BadgerOne

Hmm ... trying today evening with ISDN-Connection ... I use a Windows 2000 Server as Router

--- YES ---
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

It's new. It's real.

Until this patch I never had unknown spawns either. My hardware has not changed. My software has not changed. Recently I have only used Linux for SEQ and nothing has changed on this box.

It's not only players either. Summonned a pet and it was unknown.

devnul

Thread Information