Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm..What am I doing wrong-spells_en.txt

Hmm..What am I doing wrong-spells_en.txt

I was hoping to get the Spells info screen to update properly.

Here is what I have done so far.

searched on spell, spells and spells_en.txt

1. Got 4.3.13 working fine
    2. downloaded the Live version of the lucy spell file and unzipped it.
    3. Renamed it to spells_en.txt
    4. Placed it in the /usr/local/share/showeq directory
    5. shut down showeq and restarted
    6. zoned
    7. I get the target (myself) and the time remaining but no name of the spell info.

Thanks in advance

Folks read the whole thread it has some great information that corrected alot of my mistakes
    Last edited by jesterbam; 10-08-2003 at 01:11 PM.

I read it as getting your spells_en.txt from your everquest dir and putting it in the location sugested.
    Mine looks ok.
    I believe in gun control. I use both hands

Yep, SEQ needs the file from your PCs EQ directory.

Thanks I will give that a try. I read too many searchs and got side tracked by one thinking the file was to be downlaoded from lucy.

Originally posted by jesterbam
    Thanks I will give that a try. I read too many searchs and got side tracked by one thinking the file was to be downlaoded from lucy.
    Nope, no middlemen... We load the data from the same file eqgame.exe does, spells_en.txt.

Enjoy,
    Zaphod (dohpaZ)
    Chief Software Engineer of the Apocalypse.
    http://showeq.doomed.to/
    SourceForge.net user: dohpaz.

Personal thank you donations are now accepted.

I have something screwed up. I copied over the file and in the TERMINAL Window it clearly:

SPELL: You begin casting "correct spell name". Current target is spawn (0)

So EQ knows what spell I cast it just does not include the name in the Spell List under heading "Spell". I get "correct name" for the Target and the correct time remaining.

I will keep testing stuff.
    Last edited by jesterbam; 09-29-2003 at 04:33 PM.

I am experiencing the same problem as Jesterbam, trying to diagnose now.

Spell info in terminal window is correct, but spell info not listing right in the spell list window.

Edit:
    Also, the correct ID for the spell shows briefly in the Spell List windows with a time of 0:00 even though I am casting buffs. Happening with several different buffs.

The times for my existing buffs show correctly, and the ID, but the spell names do not.

Edit2:
    On a buff that I cast but didn't stay on the spell list window; Once I zone, it shows up on the list (still no name) with the correct decay time.
    Last edited by monster69; 09-29-2003 at 07:21 PM.

Do me the kind favor and look at the text that scrolls by when you first load up ShowEQ.

If it is correctly loading the file you should see:
    Loaded 4294 spells from '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt' maxSpell=1142
    If however you see the following:
    Spells::Spells(): Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt'
    Then it did not load. The reason you may be seeing messages with the correct spellname without it is that those are using the old spell_name() system where a magical header file is generated using a perl script and built into the exe. That magical header file now only contains the spell names but not the frequently erroneous spell duration and target information that it previously had nor has to be regenerated every bloody time SOE changes spells_en.txt. I can of course change it so that no name is printed anywhere if the file isn't loaded if that would make it more obvious.

Enjoy,
    Zaphod (dohpaZ)
    Last edited by Zaphod; 09-29-2003 at 09:25 PM.
    Chief Software Engineer of the Apocalypse.
    http://showeq.doomed.to/
    SourceForge.net user: dohpaz.

Personal thank you donations are now accepted.

Well, how about a hybrid message:

Loaded 1 spells from '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt' maxSpell=0000
    I assume that my spells_en.txt file has a format problem, but when I look at it (through KWrite) it appears okay...as in lots of very long lines of spell definitions.

I will see what I can figure out.

Monster

EDIT:
    Okay, tried setting the file to have UNIX end of line markers (through tools in KWrite) and same problem. So I set the file to have Windows/DOS end of line markers and ...BINGO.

So, what happened is; I FTP'd the file from my EQ box to my SEQ box which changed it to UNIX format end of line markers. Setting to Windows/DOS end of line markers is the fix.
    Last edited by monster69; 09-29-2003 at 09:59 PM.

Zaphod, I want to thank you for you outstanding work keeping SEQ going. If I don't get the spell function it is no big deal , I am grateful SEQ has skittles.

Now I suspect it is a format issue as monster69 has indicated. I get the same load message monster69 got before he reformated the file. I will play with the formating. I e-mailed the file to my Linux box. I did have to strip out the header info but I suspect I need to get it back to Windows format.

Thanks Monster69 for nailing this.

Someone more knowlegable might want to post a simple way to get the file from the Windows box to the Linux box in the proper format.

I tried using:

mkdir /mnt/shared
    mount -t smbfs username=winuser,password=winpass //winbox/shared /mnt/shared

winuser is your WINDOWS username
    winpass is your WINDOWS password (or lack there of)
    winbox is the name of your Windows Box
    shared is the name of the directory you shared on you windows box.

Which use to work as a way to very easily share a windows directory (no FTP no SAMBA set up hassels) on a Win98 box but since I have moved to Win XP I have not been able to get it to work. That is why I e-mailed it which hosed the file with header stuff.

So far I have not been able to find an editor on my Linux RH7.2 that "clearly" shows how to "save as" a Windows/Dos format.
    Last edited by jesterbam; 09-30-2003 at 07:59 AM.

unix2dos and dos2unix are your friends.

They'll convert Windows/Dos -> Linux eol and vice versa.

Or you can just upload spells_en.txt in binary mode, lots and lots of FTP clients will detect the .TXT at the end of the file and transfer it in ASCII mode instead (which would convert the EOL from Windows to Unix).

Thanks Cryonic that did it.

In summary for other newbs like me.

1. e-mailed the spells_en.txt from my windows box ( I did this because I don't know a simple way to transfer the file).
    My yardstick for simple is how long does it take and do i know how to do it. I don't know Samba or FTP..I did read a bit but it all required learning how to set up a server client relationship........the e-mail process took less than 3 mins to set up and mail.

2. place the spells_en.txt in the usr/local/share/showeq directory

3. Opened it with gedit-and deleted all the mail header stuff down to the line starting with 0^^BLUE_Trail.....

4. saved it

5. open a termional window and go to usr/local/share/showeq type unix2dos spells_en.txt

6. done

7. start SEQ (you dont need to start EQ to see if it worked......look at the line "Loaded 33283 spells from usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt maxSpell=2d31"

If it has numbers (not zeros) for maxSpell it works.

Thanks for all the help guys
    Last edited by jesterbam; 09-30-2003 at 11:53 AM.

Like others I just wanted to get up and running as fast as possible last night. I just zipped up my spells_en.txt (< 300k zipped) and FTPed it to my ISP provided webspace. FTPed it back down to my Linux box, unzip, and voila! done.

However, I am going to explore Samba now as it looks interesting to learn and possibly useful in the future.

For Dual Booters

I dual boot my ShowEQ box with WinXP home. I have a vfat/Fat32 partition that I share between the two of them.

I just booted to XP, ran the EQ Patcher to make sure the spell file was up-to-date, then dropped it onto the shared partion. Rebooted into Linux and mv'd to the appropriate SEQ folder.

Works like a champ!

EDIT: Typos
    dd

Thread Information