Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MySEQ 1.15.14

I just posted a new 1.15.14 tonight. If you are running MQ2 then you will need to download the latest version.

For MQ2 users you will have to manually login and then once connected you are ready to go. I'm looking into what needs to be done for the auto login to work. MQ2 Telnet was a total rewrite of the Telnet code and some changes on connection was made.

After playing around with the "first" .14 release i give up and tryed your new .14 release.

That solved the problem with the CPU usage. Its now back to normal 19% =)

Cool, don't know why that would be becuase the only thing that was modified was MQConsole stuff and it was very minor changes. The only thing I could think of is the original .14 was compiled in debug mode vs. release mode. I could see that causing some difference in CPU utilization, but I try to always post release versions.

MYSEQ2, when you compile a new binary, regardless of something like compileing it in debug mode or not, could you always increment the version number.

For those of us who closely follow version numbers as an indication of software evolution, we might miss an important thread where you say, for example, you posted a new version of 1.15.14 but the version number is the same as the previous.

Maybe in this case, you could tag an 'a' at the end like 1.15.14a. Just something to help keep track and hopefully prevent some possible confusion. As always, thank you for your hard work.

I was going to but I had other posts stating 1.15.14 was the last version of the 1.x series of Client/Server programs. Since not alot of folks use MQ and had not had a chance to download it I try to pull the wool over folks eyes but got caught hehe.

I normally change the version because it's how I post them for downloads and not changing the versions is why we had alot of issues with Server 1.9b since there was multiple version out there.

Yep I hear ya MYSEQ2, when you said 1.15.14 was going to be the last version it might have "boxed" you in a little bit. I have a suggestion on version numbers going forward.

I think you should continue to use the three number version format xx.xx.xx, but maybe use the following as a guideline. The first number is reserved for major upgrades, the second number is reserved for minor upgrades and the third number is reserved bug fixes.

For me, an upgrade is the addition of any new features, functionality, UI change, setup change, etc. One of the guidelines I use for the projects I work on is that if it the programming change caused a change to the user manual (I know MySEQ doesn’t have a user manual per say but I think you get my meaning), it’s most likely an upgrade. Basically, if anything additional is added to the program, including a UI change, no matter how big or small then it's an "upgrade". The next trick is to decide if it's a major upgrade or minor upgrade, but I know you have a good feel which category to use.

The concept of a bug fix, however, might be a little more detailed. To me a bug fix is a repair to correct a problem so the program operates as planned. I even lump performance increases do to code optimization into the bug fix category because the only change to the planned operation is that the program runs faster. So in the example of recompiling MySEQ to ensure the previous binary was not compiled in debug mode, under the plan I follow, that would fall into the bug fix category too.

Under this plan, when you came out with the new features for MQ, the version number would have gone to 1.16.0. When you compiled a new binary to look into the performance issue, the version would have gone to 1.16.1. Under this scenario, you can say to everyone, version 1.16 is the last version I will release, but at your discretion, you could continue to release 1.16.1, 1.16.2, etc. all part of the 1.16 series since the last number is only for bug fixes and I think what many people mean when they say the xx.xx version is the last version, they usually mean no new features will be added unless they specifically say 1.16.0 is the very last version and there will also be no new bug fixes.

Well, sorry to go on for so long, I have some experience in managing large commercial software development projects and wanted to share some of the guidelines we use for our own products. Maybe this will help the MySEQ project. Thanks again for your support.

I just wished I could get rid of the fourth set of number I guess it's time to rip and strip the version string apart.

I will be starting out with 2.0.0 and can do V,R,B.

Have a slight bug I found (I think)...

I had to hose my main EQ machine and do a total re-install of the OS and all software (core OS files were corrupting data transferred over network or IDE bus)... Server was on that machine while client is on a separate system...

Before the re-install the client was working normal (client on another machine).... After re-install of OS and MySEQ Server (client wasn't touched in any way) when I target something in game the client changes the "self target" to the targeted PC or NPC (Auto select EQ target changes nothing).... The "self" square and circle change to the targeted PC or NPC...

I was using version 1.15.13 client and when that started I switched to the 1.15.14 and it still does the same thing... The server is latest 1.11 and hasn't been changed other than the copy to backup machine for re-loading OS and then copying back...

Both machines are running Windoze XP Pro...

Any ideas Mr Wizard?? ;-P

BA

--- EDIT ---

Have tried everything I can think of to stop the "self" target switch.... Is making things impossible with not being able to tell what is going on when the client switches focus to the targeted PC or NPC
    Last edited by Blind Aviator; 12-19-2003 at 09:18 AM.
    "There once was a lady named Bright who could travel faster than light. She went out one day in a relative way and came back the previous night" - Albert Einstein

Shameful bump.... ;-P
    "There once was a lady named Bright who could travel faster than light. She went out one day in a relative way and came back the previous night" - Albert Einstein

Shame on you hehe, there is a problem with the Target Ring after yesterday's patch. We are working on getting the new Character Structure mapped out, once this id done it will probably resolve our Target Ring issue.

Ah ok will be quiet and patient then until y'all are done...

Cheers

BA

Downloaded 1.15.14 this morning (12/20). When trying to connect to 1.11 server I'm getting the message 'Cannot connect to server -- server actively refused connection'

Any ideas? .. btw.. 1.15.12 works like a champ.

Read the Help area and did you overwrite the Ini files?

'Cannot connect to server -- server actively refused connection'
    You need to set the IP address in the new client to find the server if you are running them on separate machines. If you are running them on the same machine, make sure the client is set to 127.0.0.1 for the IP address.

I don't know if 127.0.0.1 works (never tested it tho), I always use it's true IP address.

Thread Information