Thread: Redhat Fedora Core 1 Install

Redhat Fedora Core 1 Install

Was told to have one post so hopefully I can post something helpful and give back where I have recieved so much from this site.

Here are the instructions for installing ShowEQ on standard install of Redhat Fedora Core 1, which is a great distro if you ask me.

<Comments listed like this are not input, only comments or notes>

<DOWNLOAD>

<start terminal session>
    cd /
    mkdir showeq
    cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

<It will prompt for CVS password:> <Just hit Enter>
    cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq

<Compile>

cd showeq
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make && make install

<Update>

cd showeq
    cvs -z3 update

<Execute>
    Cd /showeq
    Su
    <enter root password>
    showeq

This has worked for me with no problems, When I tried the exact instructions on the FAQ page I got an error stating that there was no showeq directory, thus the reason I added the line “mkdir showeq”. In Mandrake the command was listed as “md” but that does not work in Redhat Fedora.

The only issue I have at this time is creating a short cut on my desktop that will run showeq as root. I did it in Mandrake but didn’t see the “run as” option in Fedora. If your installing ShowEQ on a Desktop computer and know nothing about linux I’d recommend Mandrake 9.2 and look under ShowEQ help forum for the Mandrake 9.2 install for dummy’s tutorial, it works exactly as they wrote it, (Great tutorial by the way) Might have been “for Newbies” but I forget.

I was and still pretty much am a Linux newbie but I like to learn on my own. I just ask that people here give some of the newbies some slack, mostly when it comes to the search button that doesn't work. Fix the search button before you flame them for asking a simple question. (Get error "This module not active" when I attempted to use the search button.

On the other hand newbies: Don't expect to be hand fed every little piece on information that you get. Do some research, take the time to look for answers elsewhere. If you input a command goto www.google.com and search for basic linux commands for your distro and see what the correct command is. I think alot of people get flamed here for being Lazy and expecting everyone to do the work for you.

Ok, I have posted my one post, I hope it helps someone out.
    Oh, and I almost forgot, When I installed Fedora I chose ALL packages just to make sure I didn't leave out a package that I might need, It take just over 5GB for the full install but I figured better safe than sorry. Also as a 2nd side note I went with Fedora because it seems like the only distro that would work on my Sony Vaio Laptop with the GeForce FX Go5600 Video card without installing new drivers and recompiling the whole Kernel.

Good Luck all, and hurry up and get those new offsets guys.

Last comment, I promise: Great work guys, Alot forget to say it but I think everyone that comes to this site (exception of SOE/ Verant) really appriciate all of the hard work and time that you guys dedicate to bringing the community ShowEQ! Cheers!
    Last edited by Skyshark29; 02-10-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Thread Information