Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning and looking for input

Developer

Warning and looking for input

Ok, I've been at this long enough that I feel comfortable actually making some changes in release numbering and cvs. So I'm looking for some input as to what actually needs to be done before 5.1 is released. If you'd like to see something extra that isn't being done, bring it up.

Things I think that need to be done:
    - Branch 4.x off the trunk in cvs
    - Merge 5.x beta branch back to the trunk in cvs
    - Update INSTALL.newbies (recommend Fedora Core 3? This seems weird with 4 out, but 4 is pretty crazy. Also, I don't know anything about Fedora Core at all!)

Once 5.1 is released, new changes will be on the trunk in CVS. New releases will have version numbers x.y[.z][.q] from there on out:

X will be major feature-based. I can't forsee what will bring this beyond 5 at this point, as for the most part seq has been maintaining itself instead of progressing for over a year now.

Y will be minor feature- and bugfix-based. The normal releases you have been seeing will equate to increases in Y because mostly they have a feature or two and a handful of bugfixes.

Z will be struct/opcode updates. If there's a patch and the only changes to seq are to update opcodes and structs, then only Z will be updated. Note that is is pretty rare and usually there will be some bugfixes and minor features mixed in. Z is optional. If it isn't specified, Q isn't specified either, and both are for all intents and purposes 0.

Q will be purely release problems being fixed. If I release a crap tarball that won't build and I need to quickfix it, then I'll use the Q part of the version to reflect this. Q is optional. If it isn't specified, it is 0.

Re: Warning and looking for input

Sounds good to me. That is the way it should have been done for version updates.

I'll help with what I can. I'm not very good at writing but I will see what I can do. It won't be until next week because I am a bit tied up this week. Lot of stuff I need to do.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Developer

The first two bullets on my list are complete in CVS now if anyone cares and will show up on anoncvs by tomorrow I'd imagine, depending on the whims of sourceforge. Next release will be 5.1 whenever support for live is reestablished.

The 4.x branch is now v4. The 5.x branch is merged down to the trunk and all new development will occur there (and not pre_5_0_beta). I'll more than likely only branch for major version releases since we don't maintain old version since they are useless anyways for using against live (though I'll continue to tag releases with vX_Y_Z_Q as above).

Developer

Sounds good to me.

BB

I would shift the bug fix parts of Y into Z. So X is major feature changes/additions. Y is minor changes to current feature set. Z would be bug fixes to features of X/Y. Q would be opcode/struct changes to track EQ live.

So you would release SEQ 5.1.0.0 for live today. 5.1.1.0 to deal with a code bug (not likely) as well as struct changes. 5.1.0.1 if no code fixes, but some struct changes/opcode fixes, etc...

As far as the FC3 suggestion - It can work with both RH9 and FC4, but both now require some tinkering.

If a newb wants to grab Linux, SEQ, get rolling then FC3 is pretty painless. From what I recall of the installs, the defaults would work for most everything (I use my linux box for other crap, so I added a bunch).

Succinctly, I think FC3 should be the suggested OS for quickly installing, but I'm interested in hearing how easy the other distros are to get running.

I have a quick question how would this update work, with a unit that is running Redhat 7.2 ,

Say for excample I have Showeq 5.xxxx up and runing right now on Redhat 7.2

Could you do a regular update on cvs when the new version of Showeq comes out?

Developer

cvs is for developers and people who don't need to ask questions like that. Tarballs are for everyone else.

I've been using it under Gentoo Linux thru v. 2005 with no issues. I'm happy with Gentoo Linux, so I have no plans on switching, but I got bored last week and blew in FC4 on an old machine just for the sake of looking at it and and the current SEQ tarball (.25) installed and ran with no tinkering.

I didn't spend alot of effort installing FC4, just ran the installer, selected a 10G partition and blew everything in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz
    As far as the FC3 suggestion - It can work with both RH9 and FC4, but both now require some tinkering.

If a newb wants to grab Linux, SEQ, get rolling then FC3 is pretty painless. From what I recall of the installs, the defaults would work for most everything (I use my linux box for other crap, so I added a bunch).

Succinctly, I think FC3 should be the suggested OS for quickly installing, but I'm interested in hearing how easy the other distros are to get running.

Developer

I use Gentoo and keep everything very up to date with stable, so you're pretty much guaranteed to work on Gentoo.

I tried to get seq to work with FC4 "out of the box" so that people wouldn't feel behind on FC3, but I've never used it, so I got no clue how to update INSTALL.newbies.

only reason to not recommend Gentoo is if the user (of which most SEQ users qualify) are linux neophytes. I've done gentoo installs (stage1 and stage3) and they aren't for the faint of heart or the unknowlegable.

So I'm looking for some input as to what actually needs to be done before 5.1 is released. If you'd like to see something extra that isn't being done, bring it up.

Is it possible to get the X Y Z coordinates in the maps working again?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic
    I've done gentoo installs (stage1 and stage3) and they aren't for the faint of heart or the unknowlegable.
    But it forces you to learn more, I really enjoyed the Gentoo install on my 2 ShowEQ boxes and also on my VDR (TV) Box. I know for sure I learned a few things about lunux I did not know before these installs.

Yes, a stage 1 install can be a bit time consuming.

Regarding the learning involved. If you want to play with toys like SEQ, what's wrong with spending some time learning how? Nothing, in my book.

That's one reason I won't be keeping Fedora, and I've never really liked any flavor of Red Hat.. it just wants to be Windows. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic
    only reason to not recommend Gentoo is if the user (of which most SEQ users qualify) are linux neophytes. I've done gentoo installs (stage1 and stage3) and they aren't for the faint of heart or the unknowlegable.
    Last edited by Could_Be_Anyone; 09-15-2005 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Typing is the hardest part of using a computer.

As an added suggestion, can the Zone Modifier be displayed on the GUI front end (or did I just miss it)? I am currently watching the terminal window when I zone to see it scroll by and have had to zone a couple of times to catch it.

Thread Information