Thread: HELP! Client and NETv2.0 Problems

Question HELP! Client and NETv2.0 Problems

A handful of folks have had some problems with the new client.

About the client
    The client is built using C#, and runs on top of Microsoft NET, which is a very large collection of useful common functions that most applications can use. You can read more about NET, commonly referred to as 'dot NET' or '.NET', here at http://www.microsoft.com/net/basics.mspx

Microsoft .NET
    Microsoft released NETv1.0 in April 2003, and NETv1.1 in March 2004. NETv2.0 was just released in November 2005.

Most applications seen today use v1.0 or v1.1, which are compatible with each other. Applications built using v2.0 cannot run on a computer that only has v1.x installed.

Down the Road
    Eventually time will pass, and everyone will have v2.0 on their machines, and there should not be any issues. However, during this transition time, there are several versions of NETv2.0 floating around. Some are betas, some were called 'CTPs' or 'customer technical previews'. Most people have not had any problems, they simply download the latest release of NETv2.0 and they are off and running.

The Unfortunate Few
    However, if you are one of the unfortunate few who is still having weird problems, and are getting a bunch of NET errors, my first suggestion is to uninstall your current installation of NETv2.0, and reinstall from the download site here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en .

If you are still having problems, my next suggestion is that you try using the older client, v1.17.0, which was built with NETv1.1 and an older tool suite. The older version will not be updated, and has nearly all the functionality of 1.18, so it may be a good workable interim solution. The older client can be found with the newer one, here at SF http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=80983 .

Feedback Helps Others
    I would ask that people with issues related to NETv2.0 post their experiences here, so others may comment on them. If you had a problem and found a solution, please post both in great detail so that others with the same problem can get help.

I have a limited set of development machines, so it is impossible for me to test all environments. I can only test in my environment, which contains the latest official releases and SDKs.

Important
    Again, ONLY download v1.17.0 IF you are having problems with the newer CLIENT. There is NO SERVER version of 1.17.0. However, the v1.17.0 client DOES work with the v1.18.1 server. I will try and ensure that future versions of the server still work with the v1.17.0 client, but I cannot make any promises.
    Last edited by Seaxouri; 12-15-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Thread Information