Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book to Big Screen - Who, what, where and Why!

Book to Big Screen - Who, what, where and Why!

Since I don't have anything terribly deep and meaningful to post...

I thought a fun thread would be to see:

1. What book would you like to see turned into a movie.
    2. Why?
    3. Who should direct it and why.
    4. Who should star in it, and why.

One movie I would love to see make it to the screen is White Light by William Barton. While this book will never find a widespread audience, it addresses several interesting issues that I think we might have to deal with in the not TOO distant future. If you're kinda squeemish about some things *ahem*, then this book isn't for you... but it would make a great movie.

However, I think it would probably fall flat as a movie, because the directors and movie studios would be too wussy to handle the content in an adult manner. They'd be too afraid of the public.

But, for a director, I'd like to see James Cameron possibly. I was at first thinking maybe Ed Norton as the lead, but he's a little too scrawny, and then suddenly... I'm thinking, you know... Christian Bale would make an excellent lead. I'm not dead set on that though, if anyone has read the book and has a suggestion. He's gruff enough to handle his on-screen profession and I think can produce enough belivability to pull off the scenes. Maybe not though.

Many of the books I'd love to see on the big screen are far too encompassing to fit into the 2-hour movie. Multiple movies have their cons also: I don't particularly like waiting a year to see the next part of the saga (or 25+ years to see the prequels ), I prefer it much better to have it all in one week, as in Spielberg's "Taken". After Taken's success on the Sci-Fi channel I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more would-be movies go the way of a TV mini-series.

Timothy Zahn's "Conqueror" trilogy would make a nice big-budgetted TV mini-series. Also Asimov's "Robot" and "Foundation" sagas would rock on the small screen.

Not sure who I'd like to see dirrect or star in those, just as long as it's not Leonardo DeCrappio or the AI's Osment boy
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

Jack Vance's "Darkprinces" five-ology. Pretty much all of Vance's books would make good movies.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Salvatore's Dark elf trilogy would be great to see.

Clarke's RVWR ?

And what about Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvouz with Rama four books.

I know I know that is in pre-production but I don't really believe it, I think that the site just got stuck.

http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/index.htm

Also, some more information at Coming Attractions:

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/rama.html

HNY

a_necro00
    "solo is the only way to fight"
    a Proud Necro of ...
    :-)

eon
    BaeLang
    ---
    "seek and ye shall find." <-- god's way of saying use the damn search button. (or grep)

wies and hickman, Darksword

Dragonlance, with the twins

Fallout, the movie
    -- Exo

Discworld

I would like to see a live action Discworld Movie. Not a movie version of one of the books cause I dont think it would work well but a Movie Screenplay written by or colllabortating with Mr Pratchett based in the Discworld. Director is a tough choice but the sort of passion that Peter Jackson put into LotR is whats required cause it would just flop if it ended up like the Dungeons And Dragons movie.

On reflection I can think of one book that would probably work Pyramids. Orlando Bloom would make a good Pteppic and Christopher Lee has Grand Vizier written all over him. A CGI camel for YouBastard and Kylie Minogue for Ptraci.

Hmm that all sounds rather like a dream I had err...... anyway I'd go and see it.

Pyzjn aka Fippy :-)

Anything by Raymond Feist
    Say no to sig.

Dragonlance

Chronicles, and if they do well ...Twins

I'm happy that Ender's Game is being turned into a Movie.

Something that isn't a movie right yet? I think all of the Tom Clancy books should be (re)made true(er) to the books: Go three hours long if you must. Just make them -- I think it would be a very compelling (and lucrative!) series of movies.

Just wanted to post something.

I dont have much to say , but always wanted to post something. So this is probably my first and last post. And in this section , I hope I wont getted flamed to bad.

Thanks !

What about the Death world Trilogy or Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison.

Time wars by Simon Hawk.

Let the flaming commence
    I believe in gun control. I use both hands

Originally posted by Dark
    What about the Death world Trilogy ... by Harry Harrison.
    I don't think they'd be able to find enough bodybuilders for the extras
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

Absolutely the best book (and one that would do well on film) would be George Martins "A Clash of Kings". Awesome fantasy with real political intrique as rival houses vie for power. The characters have incredible depth!

Thread Information