Thread: Heads up on Test

Developer

Heads up on Test

Sklug from test patch notes on 6/1/09:

This patch contains the first phase of client memory optimization I've been working on for a while. This first pass should show some fairly significant savings in memory usage. A later pass (in a week or two) will have selectable memory modes so that you can choose between pre-loading (to minimize any on-demand loading artifacts) and saving the most memory.
    Guessing this going to have a pretty severe impact on ShowEQ. Knowing my Linix is pretty weak, is there anything at all of value we can be gathering data-wise to prepare for this? I'm at work now, but I'll log onto Test tonight. It's probably not worth going too far, I suspect they'll be making a lot of changes to this still before it goes Live, and who knows, it could end up dying like much of the proximity code did (probably some wishful thinking, although I sure wouldn't mind EQ being less of a memory hog).

Developer

Re: Heads up on Test

Logs from the live servers as they are now would be most helpful.

Developer

Ok, I'll try to figure out how to get those

On test now, Showeq is working remarkably well. It's detecting just about everything, although it lists "You" as a player along with your real self and leaves your square there wherever you zoned in. Otherwise it seems to be working.

I'm not seeing a dramatic reduction in memory utilization (about 600MB on both my Live client and Test client).

playerProfileStruct grew by 120.

everquest.h:

/*08052*/ uint8_t unknown08052[280]; // changed from 160 for 6/1 patch

I made that change and recompiled and everything seems to be working fine. However, I did not examine the structs very closely, since I was in a hurry to get spawn colors working.

Later when I have more time I may try to confirm exactly which part of the stuct changed. I'm pretty sure it is somewhere between buffs and potion belt.

Thread Information