Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheaters and Exploiters news post

Re: Cheaters and Exploiters news post

I will in no way modify my use of MySEQ. Sony if you are reading these threads know that when you ban me all you will do is hurt your revenue stream. Why don't you fix the things that are broken in the game so I dont need to use a third party program to make everquest enjoyable.

good discussion, I hope others will take a few minutes to add their thoughts.
    I'm not going to be too specific, but I have renamed things as others have suggested and it's working. At least that is some form of safety.
    Please if anyone gets warned or even banned (geez I hope not) please let us know so we can learn and protect ourselves?

For what it's worth. I do not believe I profit or gain a significant advantage running this tool. All it does is increase my enjoyment of the game and adds another dimension to the experience.
    Thank you again to all those who have worked on providing the tool, it really is appreciated.

Well it has been awhile now and no one has posted here about anything dramatic, so I assume nothing dramatic has happened to viewers of this forum anyway.

No one has posted thoughts on what exactly Sony may do in order to be able to detect MySEQ. I haven't viewed the Sony forums much lately, other than to try and find out how to turn off Luclin models in a new install of the game. Anyway, while I was there I came across a thread that contained this post:

"This is a notification to let you know that we have released your EverQuest account from suspension. In an effort to better safeguard EverQuest from abuse from using 3rd party programs, we did a sweep against this type of activity and took action against accounts that have trigged our anti-cheating detection logs <emphasis mine> . In this effort, it seems the most recent wave of suspensions may have caught up some accounts un-intentionally that did not quite meet the threshold which we desired. It appears one (or more) of your accounts may have been affected. We apologize for any inconvenience. All affected accounts have been released from suspension and 7 days of game time have been added to the subscription(s). We thank you for your understanding as we continue to work towards making Norrath more fun and fair for all."

Now, this suggests two things. One, that the penalty is a simple suspension, perhaps designed to scare people to stop cheating and return to game. Secondly, it suggests that there are Sony serverside logs, and a GM or some other actual person reviews the logs for "suspicious" activity. Subsequent posts suggested that the activity was actually warping within a zone, and that the logs may reflect client/server lag and thus incorrectly suggest that an account was cheating. So, perhaps Sony is not scanning the client computer for anything, and that as long as MySEQ users use the renaming plan that we have discussed and are careful in not making a bee-line for a named mob, nothing will happen. Than some of us have said that they are continuing to use the program and no one has reported any contact from Sony backs this up.

I just wanted to share this. As before, followup comments are welcome.

Laters

Oggre

{sidetrack: I got my mom's desktop computer that she doesn't use much anymore, and downloaded the game by getting the everquest.exe file and letting it set up the folders and download the rest of the files. Three or so downloading hours later, heh, the game launched, but with a different login format than my other two computers. I can't for the life of me find out where in the Options tab the display choices are. I ultimately went in and edited the ini file, but still it bugged me. End sidetrack:}

Developer

If I had to guess, they just have a logger that logs stuff and a sweeper that watches the log output and attempts to detect abnormalities. It's probably 100% server side. Who knows what they log. Maybe they log when time in a zone is < 2 minutes and if someone seems to be running around to a zillion zones and spending 2 minutes in each one, they flag them for further analysis. Maybe they log who kills which special named based on how long the mob has been up and flag if you consistently kill certain special named mobs immediately when they spawn.

Other than those, I can't think of what they'd flag server side for myseq/showeq. And really, with those two there are going to be false positives and it's not gonna be worth it to do the legwork to actually prove anything.

Personally, I was (obviously) a heavy showeq user and moderate MQ2 user that used some bard/bot automation plugins and some lookup plugins. I don't think I would have changed my behavior based on their nastygram post personally. Maybe my bot would appear mechanical through logs, but writing a detector for that would be a lot of work. Really probably the most egregious thing to the server I used to do would be using /target which would actually consistently work with mq2. They could probably log my position and the position of the thing I'm /targetting when the server receives the target opcode. But I can't imagine that would really be worth it to them to do either.

Realistically, they are probably just watching for ghost/warpers. Of course I haven't played EQ in many years so I do not know what active hacks are out there these days. Maybe there is worse out there now.

Thread Information