Thread: Modern distributions capable of running SEQ?

Modern distributions capable of running SEQ?

Are there any modern distributions capable of running SEQ reasonably easily or is it just easier to start with an older distribution? In modern distributions of course the issue is qt3, in older distributions I'm finding issues with the versioning of aclocal and automake (it ~really~ wants 1.11, 1.4 won't do and neither will 1.10.)

I ran it in the past (with little to no issue), and I've spent a couple days tinkering with it in mint 14 and debian lenny (5.0.10) and I'm about at the hair tearing out stage at the moment.

Anyone got a full process written down on how to get it to fly these days?

[Edit: If someone is willing to give me a hand here, I'll write a concise guide on what I did to get it either working on a relatively modern distribution or what needs done in say debian lenny or centos X, etc. I'm not great on the code side of things but more than willing to help on documenting it so other idiots like myself don't have to bother anyone heh.]

[Edit2: interestingly enough, the tarball from sourceforge compiles fine on lenny... but probably no skittles i'd imagine based on last time I did this.]
    Last edited by wickedsix; 07-21-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Re: Modern distributions capable of running SEQ?

I know it ran "out of the box" on CentOS 6 (not sure about 7 since it was recently released). I do not know about fedora core but it used to run out of the box on that at least a couple years ago.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    I know it ran "out of the box" on CentOS 6 (not sure about 7 since it was recently released). I do not know about fedora core but it used to run out of the box on that at least a couple years ago.
    I'll give it a run on centos 6 then, see how it goes.

The standard install does not include the packages needed for CentOS. I don't think there is an "install all" in CentOS6 like there was on 5. You just have to make sure the correct packages are selected or after the install use yum to install the packages. There is no manual compiling needed.

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

CentOS 6.5 works great. Total used space with SEQ running is 3.2g for those deciding how much to allocate to the virtual machine.

Take the default options when prompted or choose whatever you need. I did a minimal netinstall. This method takes minimal or no security into consideration, whatever you do don't let this be accessible to anyone.

Code:
    (login as root)
    yum check-update
    yum update
    yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "KDE desktop" "X Window System" "Fonts"
    yum install gpm libpcap-devel qt3 qt3-devel subversion
    echo 'id:5:initdefault:' > /etc/inittab
    shutdown -r now

(login as root, open kconsole)
    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
    cp /mnt/VMwareTools-9.6.2-1688356.tar.gz ~
    tar xfz VMwareTools-9.6.2-1688356.tar.gz
    umount /mnt
    cd vmware-tools-distrib/
    chmod 755 vmware-install.pl
    ./vmware-install.pl
    shutdown -r now

svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/seq/svn/showeq/trunk showeq
    cd showeq/
    make -f Makefile.dist build
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    /usr/local/bin/showeq
    The shutdowns aren't technically necessary, you could run files (vmware) manually and reset your init level and such, but it's 20s-30s to reboot on my system at least. *shrug*

Hopefully helps the next idiot like me who wanders back to seq heh.

My installation media was:
    http://mirror.wiredtree.com/centos/6...netinstall.iso

My installation URL was:
    http://mirror.wiredtree.com/centos/6.5/os/i386/

I did minimal, and "customize now", then deselected everything selected.

Running under: VMWare Player 6.0.2 build-1744117
    Last edited by wickedsix; 07-21-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: additional details

Just wanted to say thanks wickedsix, this worked like a charm. (Though I grabbed the minimal .iso instead of the netinstall, because the OS installer was complaining about not finding the CD.)

Now to find some working maps...

so wickedsix
    I would just skip the

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
    cp /mnt/VMwareTools-9.6.2-1688356.tar.gz ~
    tar xfz VMwareTools-9.6.2-1688356.tar.gz
    umount /mnt
    cd vmware-tools-distrib/
    chmod 755 vmware-install.pl
    ./vmware-install.pl
    shutdown -r now

Part if ime installing on a dedicated Centos 6.5 pc that isn't a virtual machine ?

update : Got showeq installed

Getting error message Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'

also in showeq i sellected under NERTWORK to Monitor both IP and MAC addres and nothing seems to be showing on the showeq.

Last edited by EQPlayer; 02-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.

did you ever get it working?
    i just did same things compiled seq it runs perfect but i cant see any traffic
    i copied the eqstr file from my eq folder into the root of the vm centos showeq folder
    unsure why mine doesnt work im assuming its because i have 2 pcs and a switch not a hub

For you, probably the easiest way is to get a netgear gs108E switch. It allows management of ports and would allow you to "sniff" the port of your pc. Other options are a true hub (hard to find), make your linux machine your gateway, or make it your pass through.

If it cant see packets, it cant decode them.

Famous Quotes:

Muppet

i'm having the same issue and wish i knew how to make the linux vm machine the gateway to my eq pc as it would be easier that way.
    i assumed the problem was my switch and not having a hub
    unsure where to even find that gs108E switch as i'm in aussie on the west coast and from what i have read most of the stores are on the east.

Thread Information