Thread: Where to buy a hub?

Where to buy a hub?

So the last thread regarding hubs is from 2002 -- anyone have a recommendation for a hub, preferably Amazon US, that I can pickup with my raspberry pi? I'm afraid anything labelled as a hub these days will actually be switching.

Re: Where to buy a hub?

Quote Originally Posted by elltreain View Post
    So the last thread regarding hubs is from 2002 -- anyone have a recommendation for a hub, preferably Amazon US, that I can pickup with my raspberry pi? I'm afraid anything labelled as a hub these days will actually be switching.
    Good question elltrain. I'm in the market for a new hub too so a reply from someone it the know would be great.
    Last edited by Orndorff; 01-24-2020 at 02:51 AM.

There really are no hubs anymore. You can get a used one off of ebay from that list.

There are a couple other options. You can get an intelligent switch that allows you to monitor/sniff a port. They are usually expensive. Another option is to use vmware/virtualbox. The final is to use your linux box as your gateway.

Personally I have the raspberry pi 3 and I have it plugged into my network. I then set it to broadcast the wifi and then use the laptop to connect to that network. It works pretty well.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

I have used the intelligent switch method and have it replicate my machines traffic to a port that I have my Showeq box connected. Works well.

From an old post of mine:

The key to making everything work is the Netgear ProSafe GS108E V3 8-port switch with port mirroring. These are currently available online and in most computer stores. I tried other switches that claimed to have port mirroring but something about this particular switch allows it to be "hub-like" instead of restricting the destination port from monitoring activities only. In other words, when I plug my CentOS eth3 connection into the mirrored destination port, it still is able to get an IP via DHCP and act somewhat normal. Other switches I tried did not allow for this functionality at all and were restricted by design to only monitor. Apparently from my testing experience with other consumer level switches, even though Wireshark and tcpdump can see both RX and TX packets from the EQ client IP or MAC, ShowEQ will not play nice unless it has this old school hub type functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    Another option is to use vmware/virtualbox.
    This is what I do now. I have linux (centos) running in a vm, its network connection is set to "bridged" and it sees everything the host does. I put the vm on the PC's second monitor. Just like having it running on a 2nd computer, but without the extra hardware.

I'm running linux box and eq computer off an old Netgear DS104 hub. One downside is it isn't gigabit, but i'm not really sure there is such a thing as a gigabit hub that is not a switch. If you are looking for something old and cheap that works on ebay or something, i can confirm that model does.

I just bought this one: http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/rout...d/RB260GS.html
    $39.95 and supports 1GB, mirroring, web interface

The Mikrotik router hub was very easy to setup port mirroring on and worked great with showeq
    Using its web-interface --> Under the "forwarding" tab, select the port # your eq PC is on, choose "Mirror ingress, Mirror egress" then click the port # your showeq system is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by LAX View Post
    From an old post of mine:

The key to making everything work is the Netgear ProSafe GS108E V3 8-port switch with port mirroring. These are currently available online and in most computer stores. I tried other switches that claimed to have port mirroring but something about this particular switch allows it to be "hub-like" instead of restricting the destination port from monitoring activities only. In other words, when I plug my CentOS eth3 connection into the mirrored destination port, it still is able to get an IP via DHCP and act somewhat normal. Other switches I tried did not allow for this functionality at all and were restricted by design to only monitor. Apparently from my testing experience with other consumer level switches, even though Wireshark and tcpdump can see both RX and TX packets from the EQ client IP or MAC, ShowEQ will not play nice unless it has this old school hub type functionality.
    I finally got tired of only <100mbps on my pc due to the old Netgear DS104 Hub. I also wanted to replace the dumb switches in my home with managed switches for some other issues I was having involving uverse multicasting and sonos compatibility. I Picked up the GS108E, enabled mirroring, and set the EQ PC port as the source and Linux box port as destination and works like a charm. Getting 920mbps download speed test now with showEQ working

Thread Information