Thread: A question reguarding SEQ's network sniffing

A question reguarding SEQ's network sniffing

Ok so i set up a new PC dedicated to SEQ running Centos 6.5 i have managed to get SEQ installed ok but this is what i am wanting to know.
    I am with talk talk as my ISP and the line comes in downstairs where the Talk Talk router is.
    I then send a ethernet wire from the talk talk router into a BT ethernet plug that then sends my internet round my socket wiring in the house.
    Upstairs in my PC room I have the matching BT ethernet socket plugged in with another ethernet cable that runs into a BT home hub 5 that sends internet to 3 of my PCs via ethernet cables coming from the Home Hub 5.

So in order to get SEQ to work would I then have to change my complete setup so the Centos and Win10 PC whose IP I want to sniff for EQ packets have to be connected to the Talk Talk Router downstairs or should SEQ sniff the IP my Home hub 5 gives to the Win 10 pc I play EQ on?

That's how I have it just now but SEQ shows nothing even tho I have set it to monitor the win 10 PC's IP and MAC address.

-------------------------------------
    A second thought.

Was sitting thinking about things and was wondering is this why people running SEQ use Virtual PC's ?
    Do they run the Virtual machine on the same PC they wanna sniff packets on to make it easier on SEQ to do so as its Sniffing the packets coming into the same ethernet port as the Virtual machines installed onto?

Any input on this would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by EQPlayer; 02-11-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Re: A question reguarding SEQ's network sniffing

That setup makes my head hurt.... I have never dealt with talk talk isp and dont know what a Home hub is.
    If you haven't actually set up Centos yet, I would do Centos 6.9 since that was the last release before Centos 7. It will be the most up to date as you can get.

Since SEQ is so old and since it requires being able to sniff packets, it is a bit difficult to manage this now a days. Hubs dont really exist any more and most switches dont broadcast packets (with a few exeptions).

This is probably your best bet for getting it working. Talk Talk Router - BT socket - BT socket - Netgear GS108E - Win pc and seq pc.

The netgear gs108E (thanks Sigur) switch is a managed switch and lets you sniff the packets from the the windows machine (if you set it to do so).
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

will look into the
    netgear gs108E option after trying centos on a virtual machine first on the windows 10 PC I play EQ on ( the toon account I want to sniff the packets ) first.
    if that don't work I will try again using Centos 6.9
    if that fails me I will try changing my whole network setup in order to get it going.

and thanks for the response BlueAdept its
    appreciated. I was all chuffed just getting SEQ compiled as I am a total noob to Linux. guess this is best way to learn trial and error.

For dev purposes, I use virtual box and centos 6.9. The only issue is that in the past, they have banned people for having virtual box/vmware running (even if it wasnt ShowEQ) on their computers. You never know if they will do it again.

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Yeah thats why i wanted a dedicated machine for linux.

ok well I installed VMware workstation 14 pro onto the machine I use to play EQ installed Centos 6.9 and got SEQ compiled and running but when I enter the ip address of the machine I want to sniff I get nothing so ime about to take 2 PC's down stairs to connect to the talk talk modem/router to see if the fact that ime behind 2 routers is the problem doing that will test if I have to be connected to the main router to be able to sniff the packets.

You either need VM, or a Hub, or a managed switch that you can broadcast one ports traffic to another, or use the linux box as your router for the PC. I assume a GS105E would work the same as a GS108E if you want something smaller. I don't think running both off a router will work, i.e. the linux box will not see traffic meant for the windows pc running EQ. You might find an old hub on ebay for cheap if you don't care about gigabit speed. It doesn't sound like your ISP setup would be all that fast anyways if you are working over some sort of blutooth bridge. I'm not actually sure I understand completely what kind of network mess you have going on there.

Basically plug your linux box and the PC into a hub or GS108E then uplink the GS108E to whatever you were plugging your PC into before.

There is one more possibility Sigur. You could have the linux machine as the gateway for the windows machine. So it would look like this, Inet-linux-switch-windows and other network devices.

Famous Quotes:

Thread Information