Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find offsets

How to find offsets

The guides I've looked through either require win98, programs that don't exist anymore, or functionality that is no longer relevant.I've got the time and drive to find these things if there's someone out there that can help point me in the right direction. Hell, I'll make an updated guide to doing it if that helps.

Re: How to find offsets

Hello.

Did you follow the steps that are in the myseqserver.ini file? Last time I messed with this about 2 years ago it still worked, is just a bit time consuming:

# When new offsets are needed, you can start the server in debug mode and it will use the
    # old offsets as starting points to locate the new offsets.
    #
    # The first thing is to locate the zonename. Just enter a zone that you know the name of, like the Bazaar,
    # and use the "fz" command along with the appropriate shortname for the zone:
    # > fz Bazaar
    #
    # You should see a list of matches. Anyone of them could potentially be a valid pZone value. Select one and
    # place it in the INI file above under ZoneAddr. Now press 'r' to reload the INI file into the debug server.
    # Press 'd' to verify your change was actually loaded.
    #
    # Next we want to locate the pTarget value, stored above as TargetAddr. Inside the game, select any target NPC
    # or PC other than yourself. It is best to select a uniquely named NPC, like "Boss Hogg". Do not select an NPC
    # with a re-used name, like "a rat". Now you need to determine the hidden name of that NPC. To do this, replace
    # any spaces in the name with underscores, and stick a 00 on the end. So "Boss Hogg" becomes "Boss_Hogg00".
    # Use this hidden name as the sole argument to the 'ft' command:
    # > ft Boss_Hogg00
    #
    # You should see a list of matches. Anyone of them could potentially be a valid pTarget. Select one and
    # place it in the INI file above under TargetAddr. Press 'r' to reload the INI file.
    #
    # Next we want to locate the pSpawnlist value, stored above as SpawnHeaderAddr. This is very easy once you have
    # pTarget done above. Simply select any target in the game and use the 'wt' command:
    # > wt
    #
    # You should see a long list of spawn information dump out. At the end, we do an automatic scan looking for
    # where that entry point pointer lives. You should see a list of matches. Anyone of them could potentially be
    # a valid pSpawnlist. Select one and place it in the INI file above under SpawnHeaderAddr. Press 'r' to reload
    # the INI file.
    #
    # Next we want to locate the pSelf value, store above as CharInfo. Inside the game, select yourself as the
    # target (press F1) and use the 'ft' command along with your characters first name:
    # > ft Yourfirstname
    #
    # You should see a list of matches. Anyone of them could potentially be a valid pSelf. Select one and
    # place it in the INI file above under CharInfo. Press 'r' to reload the INI file.
    #
    # Last we want to locate the pGroundItems value, stored above as ItemsAddr. Just use the 'sg' command and
    # look for matched pointers that look like 'ITxxxxx_ACTORDEF', where xxxxx is any 3 or 5 digit number.
    # > sg
    # Scanning for 'IT' from 0x7d62c4 to 0x9d62c4
    # Pointer match found at 0x8d62c4. Full string is IT10805_ACTORDEF
    # Pointer match found at 0x9bc648. Full string is ITORTOKEN
    #
    # Of course the first one here looks good. Put it in the INI file above under ItemsAddr. Press 'r' to
    # reload the INI file.
    #
    # You can now exit the server (press 'x') and restart it in normal mode. Try attaching the client to it.
    # As long as none of the secondary offsets have changed, it should work. If it only works for a short time
    # and then stops working, repeat the above procedure, but this time make different selections in the match
    # lists.
    #
    # If the secondary offsets have changed, or the basic design of how they obtain spawn information, the server
    # may need to be updated. The other debug options can be used to aid in locating secondary offsets, but it
    # is so involved that it is probably best to use a full blown RAM editor. Please visit our forums to learn
    # how to help ( http://www.showeq.net/ and look for the MySEQ subforums).
    #
    # Notes:
    # - All string searches are case sensitive!
    # - As you get matches, write them all down! If a function works for a minute or so and then stops working, try the
    # next match in the list.
    # - If you use the spo/sso functions, the changes are NOT made in the INI file. Once you exit, those changes are lost.
    # - Only reverse walks (wt/ws) will scan for entry point pointers. Forward walks will just show the spawns and return.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to use the instructions in the .ini file but it wouldn't work.
    It would detect my character, the map, corpses and item but not any other spawns and other data was wrong too like my character name in the server list, etc.

I couldn't get anything working with any instructions found on any post or .ini file.
    That's not to say its not me that is the problem, but I would also really like someone to make a more recent post about how to do it, or work with me to show me how to do it, and like the OP said, I could handle the writing of the instructions after I know how.

Thanks.

Yep, these dont work for years already...

Ok, as I said, has been some years and I had success back then, but I don't even remember how long it was, I was guesstimating it...

Let's ping a few of the guys that do post them with PM and see if we can get a response on a current working model of how this is accomplished...

Pete

I agree. Knowing how the offset posters find the information would be great to know. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been sitting here hitting refresh waiting for somebody to post the 12/19/2017 ones. lol

If someone posts a guide or program to finding the offsets, I can pin them to the top of the forum.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoderek View Post
    I spent a few hours yesterday trying to use the instructions in the .ini file but it wouldn't work.It would detect my character, the map, corpses and item but not any other spawns and other data was wrong too like my character name in the server list, etc.I couldn't get anything working with any instructions found on any post or .ini file.That's not to say its not me that is the problem, but I would also really like someone to make a more recent post about how to do it, or work with me to show me how to do it, and like the OP said, I could handle the writing of the instructions after I know how.Thanks.
    This was my experience exactly.

What would be nice would be if someone could fix the offset finder built into the program. Someone posted an update to fix it the first time it broke years ago, although it had to be added to the source code and recompiled ourselves.

There was also an external offset finder released as source only I could never get to compile, so never got to check it out. I think it prompted the original author to add the rest of the offsets to the built-in code.

I never did learn to find any of the secondary offsets (listed in the ini as [SpawnInfo Offsets]) aside from eqmules tip to use the macroquest2 source files.

fo​r anyone trying the steps in the ini file remember to do this on a 32bit single core PC or it will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
    fo​r anyone trying the steps in the ini file remember to do this on a 32bit single core PC or it will not work.
    Can you simulate that some how?
    I don't know where I'd find something like that.
    Do you think it would work if I ran it in a virtual machine with those specs?

I don't know you would have to ask EQmule about trying to simulate it.

all I know is it wont work on 64 bit duel or quad core machines due to the way they allocate memory.

it has to be done on a 32 bit single core PC using a 32bit OS
    Last edited by EQPlayer; 12-23-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Booted up an old box of mine to see if it was single core - it wasn't, but I tried loading EQ on it anyway.

The launcher said that my computer couldn't handle it.How could any dual-core+ computer not handle EQ?

The reason I'm posting here is if I find a single core craputer, and it can't run EQ, how do you find the offsets?

Can someone try on a single core virtual machine with windows xp or 32bit win7. Maybe that will work.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

i am working on building a 32 bit win 7 virtual box machine atm.
    wont be ready until next week though since its at work and its friday
    hopefully can figure out how to get the offsets then!

Thread Information