Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ShowEQ 6 Beta Test

Hybrid View

Administrator

Re: ShowEQ 6 Beta Test

Quote Originally Posted by fransick View Post
    What didn't was converting Brewell's maps. Those came throuogh without any lines
    Hmm. That's a little strange, since I'm using Brewell's with no issues. Though, mine are seriously old (I think HoT was the last time I played semi-regularly, and I haven't updated them), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Once I get the issue fixed, I'll go through and spot-check a few maps to make sure that SOE, Brewell, and Goodurden are converting without problems. Are there any other map packs that people use regularly that I should test?

Then maybe I'll go through the mapconvert script and fix the issue you're seeing with Brewell's. It's always good to have more than one way to do things.

Administrator

OK, so I was wrong. It turned out to be a rendering problem after all, and the pre-converted maps only worked because the conversion script just happened to accidentally work around the bug.

Unfortunately, I can't even blame the QT upgrade tool... Due to API changes, I had to rewrite some of the line drawing logic in order for it to work with QT4, and in the process I managed to screw it up. So it's totally my fault. Sorry about that.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, it's fixed now. I've tested it with a handful of random maps from SOE, Brewall, and Good, and they look normal to me.

Though, there could still be lurking issues with the rendering changes, so if anyone *does* want to do a bunch of map testing, please go right ahead.

I've committed version -pre5 with the fix.

Administrator

So far, I still haven't been able to reproduce the map lag.

If you right click on the map window and go to "Show", at/toward the bottom is "show debug info". That will overlay an FPS counter in the corner of the map. I'd be curious to know what it says both when things are working normally and when it's lagging.

Of all times for the beta testing to happen, it has to happen when I am closing on a new house and moving. Sorry guys, I will be out of action probably until January. I close on my house on the 18th.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

I have not seen any map lags either - I will keep testing though. So far it's been solid.

BlueAdept - Congrats on your new house!

Got a Color Con .."bug".. (I'm not sure if it's a bug or it's intended - probably the latter - and it is also in Official build). The "Even Spawn" is default to 255/255/255 to show black fonts on white background. Since I have dark theme on KDE, it still shows it black color but I just drop one of the color down to 254 and it shows white. Also DROP: or DOOR: etc will show black color and there isn't any option AFAIK to change that.

Performance still seems fine.
    Last edited by Loki; 11-16-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Got a Color Con .."bug".. (I'm not sure if it's a bug or it's intended - probably the latter - and it is also in Official build). The "Even Spawn" is default to 255/255/255 to show black fonts on white background. Since I have dark theme on KDE, it still shows it black color but I just drop one of the color down to 254 and it shows white. Also DROP: or DOOR: etc will show black color and there isn't any option AFAIK to change that.

Performance still seems fine.
    Thanks. Since it's in the official build as well, I'm not going to consider it a show-stopper, but I'll add it to my list of stuff to work on. I've also noticed a lot of little things about the UI that could use fixing/improvement, so feel free to share whatever you find even if the issue is present in the official build.

Quote Originally Posted by cn187 View Post
    Thanks. Since it's in the official build as well, I'm not going to consider it a show-stopper, but I'll add it to my list of stuff to work on. I've also noticed a lot of little things about the UI that could use fixing/improvement, so feel free to share whatever you find even if the issue is present in the official build.
    I agree. It's just little things.

Had a segmentation fault when zoning into Stratos last night and couldn't repeat it. If I enable debug (I should have in first place), will it show the errors in console? What steps should I take to give you the errors you need?
    Last edited by Loki; 11-18-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Administrator

Had a segmentation fault when zoning into Stratos last night and couldn't repeat it. If I enable debug (I should have in first place), will it show the errors in console? What steps should I take to give you the errors you need?
    Best would be to compile with debug, but also --disable-optimization and --disable-inlines. Then, right before you run SEQ, run "ulimit -c unlimited" to enable core dumps for that session. A segfault should drop a core file in the same directory (at least on debian). It will be large, but will contain a snapshot of memory and program state from when the crash occurred.

The ideal thing would be for me to get a copy of that core (it'll be too big to post here, but I could arrange someplace to upload it). Second best would be a copy of a full backtrace generated from that core file (from the same directory, run gdb ./showeq core, then at the gdb prompt, do "bt full"). That could be copy/pasted here without too much issue.

Administrator

FYI, I also had a crash while zoning (a couple actually) and was able to get a core file. A quick look shows a null pointer dereference in spawn-related code. I won't have time to investigate further and come up with a fix until after the holiday weekend, but I'll try to get it sorted out as soon as I can.

This may or may not be what's causing *your* crash, but I'd say there's a fair chance it is. If you do happen to get another crash and can get me a backtrace and/or core file then we can use that to confirm whether or not it's the same issue. Otherwise, you can wait and see how it does after I get this fix in.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cn187 View Post
    FYI, I also had a crash while zoning (a couple actually) and was able to get a core file. A quick look shows a null pointer dereference in spawn-related code. I won't have time to investigate further and come up with a fix until after the holiday weekend, but I'll try to get it sorted out as soon as I can.

This may or may not be what's causing *your* crash, but I'd say there's a fair chance it is. If you do happen to get another crash and can get me a backtrace and/or core file then we can use that to confirm whether or not it's the same issue. Otherwise, you can wait and see how it does after I get this fix in.
    I've been trying to capture a backtrace too. I haven't had a crash in 2 weeks! If I leave it running while sitting in the Guild Lobby for a few days, it is rock solid which my old setup was not nearly as stable. I'll post if I can get it finally crash

It actually just crashed a few minutes ago after a while. PM'ing you.

Yeah it's rare here too. Had two crashes so far since.

Administrator

The null pointer exception was easy to enough fix, but while testing it I started getting a lot of crashes in one particular zone (but nowhere else). This led me to a different issue in the same area of code. I have a hacky work-around for that problem, but I'm looking for a better long-term fix. It may require some significant changes to do "right".

Thread Information