Thread: I would pay good money

I would pay good money

I would pay good money, If someone could get me a working VM image with showeq installed. Preferably an image for VMware, but I could make others work. Having huge issue getting showeq to run without a buffer overflow and crashing every single time. Tried all the suggestions adjusting kernel settings, nothing seems to work.

Re: I would pay good money

Is it crashing when the app starts, before trying to decode packets? What distro and windows manager are you using? It may be easier for you to run mySEQ as it's fairly easy to get up and running, vs messing with the overhead of having to apply patches and recompile every patch.

I was using linux mint 19 as a VM using vmware workstation on windows 10. showeq cashes as I load into the game, entities start to show up on the map and boom, crash. "*** buffer overflow detected ***: showeq terminated.

It has plenty of resources dedicated to the VM, pcaps work fine (i can capture them using tcpdump without any issues); mainly just having issues keeping the application open when it starts to capture packets.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
    Is it crashing when the app starts, before trying to decode packets? What distro and windows manager are you using? It may be easier for you to run mySEQ as it's fairly easy to get up and running, vs messing with the overhead of having to apply patches and recompile every patch.

Administrator

To clarify, is it literally "buffer overflow detected", or is it "buffer overflow adding in new fragment"?

If it's the latter, then the only suggestions I have are what's outlined in the FAQ. The fact that you're running linux in a VM on windows may mean that there are Windows settings that need to change as well. Though that likely depends on how you've got the VM networking setup, how you're mirroring traffic, etc.

If it's the former, then none of the settings in the FAQ are likely to help, as that's probably a glibc message, and is likely to indicate a problem somewhere.

In which case, if you can get me a backtrace of the crash, I can hopefully figure out what's happening and fix it. Or if it's not an actual bug, tell you what you need to do to get it working.

There are a couple ways to do this:

1) Get a core dump and load it into GDB

I'm not sure how Mint handles core dumps. On some distros, you can just do

Code:
    root# ulimit -c unlmited
    root# showeq
    And then when it crashes a core file should be written to the directory where you ran it. You can then load the core dump into GDB with

Code:
    gdb /path/to/showeq corefile
    where corefile is the name of the core file (sometimes just core, sometimes core with the PID, or maybe something else depending on the distro)

But on other distros, there are extra steps (ubuntu, last I checked, uses apport, which changes core dump handling). So it gets a little more complicated.

2) Run showeq under GDB

Code:
    gdb showeq
    then once GDB starts and loads the executable, type 'run' and showeq should start.

In either case, once you've loaded the core file into GDB, or showeq running under GDB has crashed, you should be at a GDB prompt.

Type

Code:
    thread apply all bt
    And it will spew pages of backtrace info. It may or may not include identifying info about your character, server, etc., so I suggest not posting it publicly.

If you can copy/paste this into a private message to me, or paste it into a plain text doc and email it to [email protected], then I can look at it.

Though, that said, I'm leaving on vacation later today, and won't be back for a couple of weeks. So I won't be able to get to it until I return.

Administrator

Just an update on this - the immediate problem was a stale opcode conflicting with another packet. I've set all the not-recently updated opcodes to ffff and committed the updated zoneopcodes.xml to svn. If anyone is having odd decoding issues or crashes, try grabbing the updated zoneopcodes.xml.

(At some point, I'm going to either modify SEQ to ignore old opcodes that haven't been updated recently, or modify our tarball build pipeline to automatically ffff the old ones when we create the tarball).

update - I re-built showeq from 6.3.1 on ubuntu, I can capture traffic, showeq shows it detects my session; however, nothing loads. ran it as sudo -i, same thing happens. Detecting packets, network diagnostics show data is incoming, just nothing is loading into the window.

My problem is that I am using it for p99 and I need to apply the decrypt hex code to the build and modify the appropriate sources to expect that before decrypting. Might be in over my head here, I can do small Code changes in my own, but this seems a bit more complicated. Anyone able to help?

Quote Originally Posted by CipherSalt View Post
    update - I re-built showeq from 6.3.1 on ubuntu, I can capture traffic, showeq shows it detects my session; however, nothing loads. ran it as sudo -i, same thing happens. Detecting packets, network diagnostics show data is incoming, just nothing is loading into the window.
    Is the virtual NIC set in promisc mode?

You would also need to enable port mirroring so that your switch is forwarding the relevant packs to your main desktop that the VM is running on.

Yeah. I got the networking down. Not an issue. The issue is that p99 has a 10 byte hex key that needs to be added to decode the packets and that is beyond my capabilities to modify the code that much.

Hi guys
    I understand your frustration with getting showeq to work properly. It can be challenging to troubleshoot and resolve software compatibility issues.free fire name

Quote Originally Posted by CipherSalt View Post
    I would pay good money, If someone could get me a working VM image with showeq installed. Preferably an image for VMware, but I could make others work. Having huge issue getting showeq to run without a buffer overflow and crashing every single time. Tried all the suggestions adjusting kernel settings, nothing seems to work.
    Struggling to get ShowEQ running smoothly is frustrating. Investing in a pre-configured VM image could save time and hassle. Hopefully, you find a solution soon. Good luck!
    Last edited by Marcellus; 03-14-2024 at 03:35 AM.

I use SEQ in a centos 7 to build and distribute SEQ after patches. It works flawlessly. Even though I do not play much (or any), I still have an up-to-date vmware image and a SEQPI that is current.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Maintaining an up-to-date VMware image and SEQPI on CentOS 7 for building and distributing SEQ after patches demonstrates efficient workflow management.
    Last edited by Marcellus; 03-14-2024 at 03:35 AM.

Thread Information