Thread: Character POV missing?

Exclamation Character POV missing?

I'm running into this weird issue that everything loads except myself with the ring and the Field of View lines, I ensured that it is enabled. I've had this issue a few times now where it just randomly stops working. My only solution is to do a fresh install on a new VPC. Is there a preferences file or something that I could just reset?

Anyone else ever had this issue? I'm running the latest build of SEQ 6.3.9 on Ubuntu

Administrator

Re: Character POV missing?

A couple of thoughts -

First, people have sometimes reported issues relating to saving/loading preferences (that I haven't yet tracked down), so even if the POV ring shows enabled, you might try toggling it a couple of times to see if anything changes.

Second, is your character showing up in the spawn list, and is your location shown in the spawn list correct and updating correctly while you're moving around? If not, then this could be a packet capture and/or decode issue.

So to answer your first one - I did a fresh install and when I start clean everything works great, haven't really messed with saving or loading preferences but is there a way to reset the preferences file to default if that was the case?

Second - Yes it shows up in the spawn list, with my mage I can see where my pet is but not my character. Same if I switch characters. I've tried rebooting the machines, I've flushed the bridge (I'm using Mac) I've launched SEQ first before launching EQ. Same results soon as I loose that character FOV ring the only way I get it back is to do a fresh install. You mention packet capture/decode issue, do you have any suggestions here? Are previous versions of SEQ more stable?

My only next thought since I'm using a Mac and parallels is to do a fresh install and clone the drive so when it shits the bed I launch the new machine and clone it before it gets used....terrible solution but its a potential workaround.

Administrator

The prefs are stored in showeq.xml. This will be found under the .showeq dir for whatever user you're using to run showeq (/root/.showeq if using sudo or su, or if you've set capabilities to allow capture, ~/.showeq for whatever user you're using). But the reports I was referring to were about saving/loading preferences from the file. If you're losing stuff in the middle of a session (as opposed to startup or while trying to load/save preferences), then I feel like there's something else going on entirely. (Though I would be interested to know if your prefs file is actually getting changed/updated when you experience the issue).

Are there any decode related warnings or errors printed to the terminal?

None of the previous versions of showeq are going to work with current eq without a bunch of manual patching. You could theoretically try to get 5.x running again, but IMO the time it would take to do that would be better spent with us trying to sort out what's going on and fixing it.

So here's what I've done so far to fix the issue... I created a fresh VM install on Ubuntu with the latest SEQ, maps , filters, etc. I then created a snapshot of the image before ever launching it.

Now when I experience the issue I close out the EQ on the Win 11 VM that I'm capturing from. I flush the Bridge 100 and read add all the vnnics to the bridge. I completely close SEQ on the SEQ box and revert to the snapshot. I launch it back up and point it to the correct IP of whichever Win 11 EQ VM I want to capture then launch EQ from scratch. This seems to always fix the issue but it's kinda a pain that it still occurs. I've not noticed any decode warnings or anything in the terminal.

Here's the complete step by step I made to build the Ubuntu SEQ VM box and the steps I take on the MacOS terminal side from the Bridge 100 perspective...Download the showeq-####.tar.bz2 file

from https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/

Extract the showeq-####.tar.bz2 file

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install subversion && sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get install libpcap0.8-dev && sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev && sudo apt-get install autoconf && sudo apt-get install automake && sudo apt-get install libtool && sudo apt-get install libx11-dev && sudo apt-get install libxext-dev && sudo apt-get install libpng-dev && sudo apt-get install libice-dev

sudo apt-get install qttools5-dev

cd /home/"YOURUSERNAME"/Downloads/cd showeq-.X.XX (replace XXX with version)

sudo make -f Makefile.dist build

wget http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/view...g/config.guess

wget http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/view...fig/config.sub

***RENAME THE FILES JUST DOWNLOADED AND REPLACE THE OLD FILES***

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /usr/local/share/showeq

Copy eqstr_us.txt and spells_us.txt from your EQ computer to either a NAS or USB drive.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Everquest F2P

Copy eqstr_us.txt and spells_us.txt from your NAS or USB drive to:
    /usr/local/share/showeq

Download Brewall EQ maps zip from
    http://www.eqmaps.info

and follow the HOW TO INSTALL instructions to copy the new maps to your EQ computer

Download the Brewall EQ maps zip to your ShowEQ computer also and unzip into Downloads

Download the mapconvert script from
    http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthr...convert-script

Copy and paste the mapconvert script into Downloads/brewall folder

Right click the mapconvert script and from the pop menu select Properties
    Click the Permissions tab and check the Execute: Allow executing file as progrm checkbox and click Close

Open a terminal windows and cd to Downloads/brewall
    Run ./mapconvert and you should see
    Converting aalishai
    Converting abysmal...etc

Copy the map files to Showeq maps folder
    sudo cp *.map /usr/local/share/showeq/maps

Download ShowEQ Filters:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq...xnap&download=

Extract the filters into /usr/local/share/showeq/filters

Install Net-Tools

sudo apt install net-tools

Run ifconfig and find your ethernet port (i.e. enp0s5)

Enable nic to promis mode

sudo ifconfig enp0s5 promisc

————————————————————————————

***On MacOS flush bridge***

Open Terminal on Mac

ifconfig

Find your vmenets and run the following command for each of them

sudo ifconfig bridge100 -learn vmenet2

Now flush your bridge

sudo ifconfig bridge100 flushall

***Ubuntu box***

Starting ShowEQ
    cd /usr/local/bin
    sudo ./showeq

Administrator

I'm out of town for the next couple of days (and I'm typing this on my phone) so I probably can't go too deep until I get back. But here are some more thoughts.

I haven't used Mac since the early OSX days (PPC era) so I can't really be much help on the Mac side. But I know there are other users here running Mac. Maybe they will chime in.

I don't see any issues with your seq install process. I don't think you need to explicitly set promiscuous mode on the interface, but it also shouldn't hurt anything. You also shouldn't need to use the mapconvert script anymore, but again it shouldn't hurt anything.

It's not yet clear to me if this is a preferences issue, a UI (qt) issue, or a packet/network issue. But maybe we can narrow it down.

I'd be really curious to see what happens if you do a packet capture on the Win box (using winpcap or whatever) from your EQ session start all the way to whenever you start having issue in showeq. Then use seq to play back that capture file and see how it behaves. Even better would be if you could do it with a fresh/throwaway F2P account (so there's no risk to your normal account/characters), and send me a copy of the capture so I can poke at it.

Ok I'll see if it acts up.

I used to have this issue when I was running my VM with 1 core, I bumped it to 4 cores and haven't seen it since. I didn't see mention of the VM config, so if you are running it with 1 or 2 cores try bumping it up. Granted I'm on windows, so YMMV...

Good to know I'll give it try. Are you talking about the SEQ box or your EQ Box?

SEQ vm. Are you playing EQ in a VM as well? I thought they frowned upon that. haha, "they frowned upon that" on this forum

A while back, there were a lot of bannings due to just having virtual box or vmware running. Officially it is against the TOS just to have those running while playing.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Thread Information