Thread: minor ish c++ request (grpc)

Hybrid View

Administrator

Re: minor ish c++ request (grpc)

I have a private branch where I've started working towards decoupling the capture from the rest of the client, but it's still WIP and not ready for the the light of day.

I can tell you the approach I'm using, though I realize it's not quite in line with how you're looking to do it.

Basically, I've created an abstract base class that has the same interface as EQPacket. A scaled down version of EQPacket still exists as a subclass of the abstract base, so users that still want to use the existing (integrated) capture can. Then I created another subclass to handle spinning up the listener socket, etc. As you would expect, any functionality that's shared between the two (opcode processing, etc.) lives in the base class, and each subclass handles its implementation-specific parts. Then the server just forwards the raw packets to the client, and the client still handles all the packet parsing, opcode dispatch, etc.

Re: minor ish c++ request (grpc)

Understood. I wish I was strong enough in C to do the work myself considering how much time it would save being able to reuse most of the existing client.

I'll see what I can accomplish along the lines of making a python client side that works similar to the old SINS gui then. My hope is if I make this approachable / maintainable enough in modern languages, I won't be stuck having to fully maintain everything since there doesn't seem to be much interest from the c based showeq team.

Thread Information