Ok, I've been at this long enough that I feel comfortable actually making some changes in release numbering and cvs. So I'm looking for some input as to what actually needs to be done before 5.1 is released. If you'd like to see something extra that isn't being done, bring it up.

Things I think that need to be done:
- Branch 4.x off the trunk in cvs
- Merge 5.x beta branch back to the trunk in cvs
- Update INSTALL.newbies (recommend Fedora Core 3? This seems weird with 4 out, but 4 is pretty crazy. Also, I don't know anything about Fedora Core at all!)

Once 5.1 is released, new changes will be on the trunk in CVS. New releases will have version numbers x.y[.z][.q] from there on out:

X will be major feature-based. I can't forsee what will bring this beyond 5 at this point, as for the most part seq has been maintaining itself instead of progressing for over a year now.

Y will be minor feature- and bugfix-based. The normal releases you have been seeing will equate to increases in Y because mostly they have a feature or two and a handful of bugfixes.

Z will be struct/opcode updates. If there's a patch and the only changes to seq are to update opcodes and structs, then only Z will be updated. Note that is is pretty rare and usually there will be some bugfixes and minor features mixed in. Z is optional. If it isn't specified, Q isn't specified either, and both are for all intents and purposes 0.

Q will be purely release problems being fixed. If I release a crap tarball that won't build and I need to quickfix it, then I'll use the Q part of the version to reflect this. Q is optional. If it isn't specified, it is 0.