Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Update Script

Auto Update Script

I have written a script that I use to upgrade my seq client on RedHat 7.3. It assumes you have tested manual compilation of seq sucessfully first.

It is FULLY automated. Just type runit.sh and take a nap.

What it does { I am doing this from memory so I might miss a trick or two}:

1. Archives old version of seq and libEQ with date/timestamp
    2. Logs into CVS and gets new version
    3. Gets libEQ
    4. builds new client
    5. installs new client

Beta test results were very good. Documentation is detailed and is included.

Is this something that you want to add to the source tree?

L1A

Yah wrote one a long time ago....
    Code:
    $ ./seq-update.sh -help

Usage: seq-update.sh [option]
    Options:
       -update      Backup current build of the appilcation,
                    download new application code and install it.
       -backup      Backup current build of the appilcation.
       -restore     Restore the most recently backedup copy.
       -new         Download new application code.
       -compile     Compile and install code.
       -libeq       Download a new version of libEQ.a
       -help        Print this messages.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

I figured that someone had to have done it already. I guess that I was so used to the manual method that I never noticed it.

How about a GUI version? I can whip up a TCL/TK GUI pretty fast.

L1A

Developer
    Please remember that the goal is to NOT make this too easy.

SEQ has a barrier to entry that keeps VI off our backs.

If the barrier to entry gets too low then too many people (who don't care to spend the time, and who don't get what it's all about) will be using SEQ and VI may (will) be more pro-active about making our lives difficult.

Yep that's why I have not, nore will I ever, post the actual script.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Ok consider this thread ended. I will not distribute.

this is an auto-update script that only works if you have made sure it works the first time... doesn't get you qt or anything like that. at least, thats what it seemed like :)

you should make the options use short "-h" and long "--help" options ;)

Yeah I know.... that's a minor change that would only take a minute or 2, but I'm sure I'll never get to it.

auto update makes it TOO accessible?

It does if it is also capable of building the app from scratch, (and possibly include dependencies). There is a thread in the help section that has a shell script attached that does just this. Maybe that thread or the attachment should be nuked.

thats true..

I compiled about 5 new updates a few months ago before I realized to make install..

that was a fun time.

OMG.

Someone figured out shellscripts for

tar blah blah
    make distclean
    wget libeq.a
    cvs update
    make
    make install

Wow.

Next thing you know, people will be arguing that makefiles are making SEQ too easy to use. In fact, get rid of that damn GUI as well - mob coordinates please. It's far too easy to use.

The *real* barrier to entry at the moment is the simple fact it runs on Linux and even that is an assumption.

actually it is too easy as it is....at least compared to how it used to be. There never really used to be guides or anything of that ilk. It basically just used to be "you need QTX and what ever else...good luck".

Putting a script out that does everything for you is stupid because those that will use it shouldnt be running SEQ in the first place.

Linux is a great operating system. If someone is going to spend the $200+, take the time of setting up linux, getting the network to work right, why the hell shouldnt they take the time to actually learn how to use what they just did.

Dont like it? Go buy one of those stupid pre-installed SEQ boxes on player auctions, just dont expect anyone to answer questions on it when it breaks or needs updating.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

They have preinstalled SEQ boxes? That's just sad.

Then again, I believe using SEQ for anything to give you an in-game advantage is pretty sad as well.

hehe, how can you use seq w/o giving yourself an "in game advantag"? i mean, the first time you glance over BAM, in game advantage ;)

Thread Information