Thread: keyfile.dat - im doing something wrong

Question keyfile.dat - im doing something wrong

OK. I am using the sniffer located in http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=2288

Running GREAT. Key is written, scpd to linux - this all works fine. However, when i point SEQ to the keyfile.dat it never works.

Looking inside keyfile.dat is some jumbled text - doesnt seem right to me - but maybe this is what seq is looking for?

Here is what the text looks like on the eq machine as well as on the linux machine after it is scp'd:

®kÄÿÿÿÿ

(this is what it looks like in notepad - looks similar in VI)

Is this what SEQ is looking for? If so - any clues as to why SEQ is not deconding with keyfile.dat? I am able to get seq to decode correctly by manually entering in the key that the script echo's - but no go with keyfile.dat

Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Is this what SEQ is looking for?
    Yes

If so - any clues as to why SEQ is not deconding with keyfile.dat?
    Check if the file is actually updated. Sounds to me that the file is never updated and that you are giving SEQ the same *and wrong* key every time. OR that it's updated some time _after_ you told SEQ to load the new key from the file (laggy machines, laggy internal network) I personally have to wait at least 10 seconds after the key has been found on the EQ box before the ShowEQ box has received the new keyfile.dat.
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 11-09-2002 at 08:15 AM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

I can see the date/time stamp on the file get updated after everytime I zone - or load EQ. The information inside keyfile.dat changes as well - before I tell seq to use it.

Anyother suggestions? They keyfile.dat is there but SEQ is still not decoding with it - unless I input the key manually.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: I should also say I am using 4.3.2 seq

Thanks!
    Last edited by nvmy383z28; 11-09-2002 at 11:51 AM.

I sorta had same problem as you at first. I'd tell it load the key file, but nothing ever decoded.

So I got source again, recompiled, and also made sure I had lastest lib.a (don't think it uses it anymore but)

after I did recompile it worked fine. Bet it'll work for you as well.

cool - Ill nuke everything and start from scratch again. Hopefully thats the ticket

Thanks!

don't think it uses it anymore but
    It does.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Well I did a complete clean install. Cleared out SEQ 100% - including deleting libEQa etc. Did a fresh install. It is now at least finding unknown spawns - but no other info is displayed. Again, inputing the key manually works - but the keyfile.dat way never works (and I am possitive it is updated everytime I zone).

Anyone have any suggestions? I cant seem to find where I am going wrong....

Thanks.

I am using a sniffer based on mvern's source. I am using a windows share and mounting it from the SEQ system running Samba. I added a hot key to Decode->Load Session Key and after setting the path to the Winblows share everything kicks ass. This is working so well I am not sure I want a UDP solution. I am looking at a modification to the SEQ source that will read the session key a few seconds after zoning if the key filename path was set.

My advice would be to try this method as it works best (IMHO) of all the solutions that I have tried so far.

Good Luck

I am looking at a modification to the SEQ source that will read the session key a few seconds after zoning if the key filename path was set.
    I have my mem reader check every 1/2 second for a new key, and only write one out if it's changed. I then make this change to interface.cpp.

$ cvs diff interface.cpp
    Index: interface.cpp
    ================================================== =================
    RCS file: /cvsroot/seq/showeq/src/interface.cpp,v
    retrieving revision 1.53
    diff -r1.53 interface.cpp
    4374a4375
    > emit loadKey();

Keyfile.dat

I'm experiencing the exact same problems that nvmy383z28 is.

- I did a make clean.
    - I then went and deleted my showeq directory as well.
    - I re-CVS'd the new files.
    - I downloaded a new libEQ.a
    - Went through the install.
    - Set up Samba, mounted my keysniffer file onto my Unix box.
    - I load up EQ.
    - I load up SEQ.
    - I telnet into my EQ machine and run the keysniffer. It decrypts the keys. It creates the keyfile.dat file.
    - I go into SEQ and make sure the program is pointing to the right directory/file for the keyfile.dat
    - I hit F12, but no decryption of mobs/etc.

Thread Information