Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimal PC

Minimal PC

A friend of mine has a p200 class (I think it is cyrix) pc with 64 megs of ram, 4 gig HD and a 2 meg video. I was wondering if anyone is running a SEQ box with similar stats. I dont want to have to install linux/SEQ only to find out that it is basically useless.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

haven't tried it wilh RH7.3 and up, but with RH7.2 and below I had a similar system working just fine... Just don't expect to run SEQ at 10fps though
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

AMD 100Mhz, 32MB, crap VGA GFX card (256kb mem) and a 800mb hd, RH 7.2.... compiles slowly ( a few hours ) but runs like a charm. 2 maps: 1 whole zonemap at 1fps and 1 5x zomed in map at 25fps, runs perfectly, don't notice any hickups, slowdowns or whatnot.
    Last edited by Mr. Suspicious; 12-28-2002 at 12:47 PM.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

also, forgot to mention that i have run it on a p2 233 laptop with 96mb ram and a sucktastic video card. it did okay. try and use something like fluxbox and NOT kde/gnome, it should help a lot.

holey cow, does the 5x zoomed in one at 25fps REALLY refresh at 25fps?

Ah forgot to mention I am running ShowEQ under TWM (~So? I'm a minimalist! ~) and yes, looks like it actually is running at 25fps, but it's the absolutely max, increasing it over 25 doesn't actually show any increase in performance.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

I run showeq (and also do my seq development) on a p90 with a plain old 1mb svga video driver. 96mb ram i think, not sure about the memory.

as long as you aren't trying to run netscape or somethign in the background, it is fine.
    BaeLang
    ---
    "seek and ye shall find." <-- god's way of saying use the damn search button. (or grep)

aye, my first linux box was a cyrix 166+ with 32mb ram and a 2gb hard drive (it was a very stripped install) ran on redhat 7.2 and kde desktop. what slow, but did run.

current is a 500 celeron with 256mb ram and 4gb hard drive. works extremely well, and i got the system for $100 bucks. (was a used emachine) I often run seq, mozilla x2, and icq without problems.

BlackBox is another good minimal window manager.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

i have not tried blackbox, but fluxbox is based on blackbox and is supposed to be "cooler" (or something about tabbed thingies, i dunno).

I've had been using twm for month's on my p200 w/ 64mb ram for months and recently spent the additional 100k for fvwm. Considdering the role of the machine, fvwm works just fine =)

Cheers,
    -Egg
    I'm just another fsck uucp.

Re: Computer power

ShowEQ runs (albeit slowly) on a P75 with 24MB of ram. Takes forever to boot, forever to load X, but once it's running it decodes spawns and everything fine.

Filters slows it down too much to use, but I never really needed them.

I've been running it at 5fps this whole time, fearing my poor p133 with 38mb ram would choke if I upped it any.

Exactly what are benefits of higher fps? Map is updated faster?

Exactly what are benefits of higher fps? Map is updated faster?
    In theory, yes. But the fact is that the server doesn't even update positions that often, so it really doesn't matter after 5 fps. That's why you see "phantoms" or players and mobs falling off a cliff, then popping back up - they stopped moving, but the server didn't tell your client that soon enough. I personally use 3 fps, as it keeps seq running speedily and I notice almost no difference in map updates at 3 than I do at 10.

i used to run at 1fps, and that just looks laggy. recently upped it to 5fps and its perfect.

I agree with 3fps. At 2fps I notice a sluggishness, and anything above 3fps seems to be wasted on my eyes with animation turned on. 3fps is far better than eq server updates at times, so I like to save the CPU cycles for Mozilla (damn pop up ads).
    Say no to sig.

Thread Information