Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: qt-x11-free-3.0.5+ compilation instructions

I appear to have broken X ..

I found that I successfully compiled and installed qt 3.0.5 only to break X in the process. X now appears to be looking for libraries for the old qt. The error message upon crash of X appears as follows:

XIM DEBUG: X Error of failed request: 86
    Major opcode of failed request: 51 (X_SetFontPath)
    Serial number of failed request: 9
    Current serial number in output stream: 11
    ksplash: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    connect() failed: : No such file or directory

I had previously removed references to the old qt libraries in ld.so.conf (adding the lib path for qt 3.0.5) and ldconfig'ed but X appears to be looking for the old libs. Do I need to reinstall X? I'd rather not have to go to that extreme if the solution is simple. Thoughts?

Not sure why you removed the references to the old QT, but that is definitely your problem. I dont know of a better solution than either rebuilding X (and EVERYTHING that is dependant on your old QT) or, reinstalling your old QT.

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Re: solution to the 3.0.5 "strip" problem

Originally posted by deveraux

Perhaps I missed this in my review of the documentation. There does not appear to be a troubleshooting section in any of the documentation.
    There's several references (each next reference is found by following links in previous reference):

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/
    http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/install-x11.html
    http://www.trolltech.com/developer/platforms/linux.html
    http://www.trolltech.com/developer/f...tallation.html
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Re: I appear to have broken X ..

Originally posted by deveraux

I had previously removed references to the old qt libraries in ld.so.conf (adding the lib path for qt 3.0.5) and ldconfig'ed but X appears to be looking for the old libs. Do I need to reinstall X? I'd rather not have to go to that extreme if the solution is simple. Thoughts?
    Having multiple paths in the ldconfig does not decide which library gets used. I believe that is established by your export QTDIR=. I offer this as a possible explantion until someone who really knows can say for sure. There are more exports needed with QT-3.x.x and looking to learn what those actually do while my first compile of Seq with qt-3.x.x crawls along.

Re: Linear/structured instruction set to compile with the newer QT

Originally posted by high energy
    Based on Eggman's instructions, I've fiddled with it to make it more understandable (well at least to me) and thought to share it with you.

... deleted stuff ...

Compiling showeq
    1. make -f Makefile.dist
    2. ./configure --prefix=/opt/showeq-4.3.4 (don't use prefix if you don't want to specify where to install. I use seq default, which is /usr/local/bin/showeq)
    3. make
    4. make install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

That should do it. You should be able to run showeq like you've done in the past.
    I found that I needed to use the make distclean and then update the cvs to get seq to work and decode. The only thing I have noticed broken are the spell info which has been mentioned in other posts. Maps, zones, player info, guildinfo, spawns, locations, levels, spawnpoints, experience history are working as before the patch.

Please help...

I have complete make and gmake successfully without errors.
    I went in to the /etc/ld.so.conf directory and added the source directory with /lib at the end.
    When I type ldconfig -v, I get:

/qt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/lib
    ldconfig: Cannot stat /qt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/lib/libqt-mt.so: No such file or directory
    libqui.so.1 -> libqui.so.1.0.0

My source code directory is /qt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1 and this is the only error message I see when I run ldconfig -v. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
    There's a readme file in /lib direcotry and it said:

If this directory is empty, you forgot to build the Qt library

What does this mean? I do have couple of files in the lib folder.
    Another thing is libqt-mt.so look like a shortcut file that points to libqt-mt.3.1.1 file, which does not exist.
    Last edited by useseq; 01-12-2003 at 01:09 PM.

Useseq,

This sounds like you have symlinks to libraries that do not exist. What does the output of `ls -l` show in your $QTDIR/lib directory show ?

-Egg
    I'm just another fsck uucp.

Hrmm... I ran

ls -l

And everthing looks ok except there's a red high-lighted section. It says:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 1002 17 Jan 10 11:43 libqt-mt.so -> libqt-mt.so.3.1.1

In the lib directory, I don't see libqt-mt.so.3.1.1 file

Thanks,

"lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 1002 17 Jan 10 11:43 libqt-mt.so -> libqt-mt.so.3.1.1

In the lib directory, I don't see libqt-mt.so.3.1.1 file"

Your qt was compiled without -thread

Cheers,
    -Egg

So I have to redo everything?

-yes-

Egg~
    Have you ever messed with this on Mandrake 9.0? Works like a charm on RH7.3 for me, but this sucker seems to be a totally different scenario...And I thought picking up Mandrake 9.0 would be a fun project to learn after using RedHat all this time jeeez, feeling really n00bish again.

I made a full post on the help forum in hopes you would (or anyone else with some xp in this matter) see it. Maybe change the gcc & g++ to "gcc-3.2 -version" and "g++-3.2 -version"? About the ONLY thing that I havnt tried that I can think of.....

~Poncho

Nevermind - went through every scenario with gcc and g++ to no avail.

#gcc <tab> <tab>
    gcc gcc-3.2 gcc3.2-version gccmakedep

Tried the middle 2.

<sigh>

Poncho,

Sorry, I don't have any experience with compiling qt or seq with mandrake. In my oppinion Mandrake started off on the wrong foot (by using another distribution at the core )and that has kept me from ever being interested in their distribution. It is immensly popular though, I was a sysadmin for the largest public Linux mirror site in N. America and it was always one of the top downloads.

My advice, go with what you know. The mandrake kernel isn't any better than the redhat kernel. Besides, Alan Cox doesn't work for mandrake, he works for RedHat =) In theory, that should be a plus for the hat.

Cheers,
    -Egg

Thanx Egg. You are a class act and I'm glad there are people like you lurking about in the SEQ forums.

Those are probably good words of advise to heed. Figured it would be fun to learn a new setup - but I've had more fun watching paint dry than that. Problem is, I'm not one to quit once I dive into something in hopes of keeping my pride somewhat in tact.

Couple questions, however basic they may come to some of you:

1. Is it at all possible that the qt3.0.5+ releases are NOT fully compatible with the Mandrake 9.0 distro?! (slap me, but was looking at the lastest RPM's on rpmfind.net, and I didnt see any Mandrake releases after 3.0.5)

2. Upon install, I am assuming that the installation would pick up the latest RPM's as would be found on rpmfind.net?

3. n00b question to sum it all up: Can someone please give me a synopsis in how ./configure && make && install works? ie- # ./configure checks for system resources -> correct package installs to compile/run etc......# make sets up program shell -> checks logical $strings/checkpoints etc.....# make install writes all the crap.

The above were just guesses on my part, but it would be very helpful to me to reverse engineer this if I knew what each step of the process involved. Up to this date, I've only followed directions and never really cared..this is slowly changing.

Any direction from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Poncho

1. Is it at all possible that the qt3.0.5+ releases are NOT fully compatible with the Mandrake 9.0 distro?! (slap me, but was looking at the lastest RPM's on rpmfind.net, and I didnt see any Mandrake releases after 3.0.5)

It is more likely to be the other way around. It is more likely that Mandrake has been modified in some fashion to where something won't work as expected. In my experience, compiling QT on multiple platforms and OS's, QT is very portable.

2. Upon install, I am assuming that the installation would pick up the latest RPM's as would be found on rpmfind.net?

The installation is only going to use the RPM's found in the install path. If that path is a network path (ftp,nfs etc) it will only use the packages placed there. For an "up-to-the-minute linux distrobution you will need to use Debian or Gentoo ( or something similar ).

3. n00b question to sum it all up: Can someone please give me a synopsis in how ./configure && make && install works? ie- # ./configure checks for system resources -> correct package installs to compile/run etc......# make sets up program shell -> checks logical $strings/checkpoints etc.....# make install writes all the crap.

Configure is a script, take a look at it. You can see everything it does (less configure). Make uses a standard file format that is human readable. Take a look at the Makefile to see what it is doing. The Makefile is seperated into sections (all , install , etc etc ) each section has instructions on what make is to perform.

If you're looking for greater detail into the process ( assembling, compiling, linking, etc ) give http://www.google.com/ a try.

Cheers,
    -Egg

Thread Information