Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, What exactly do we need to fix this?

Not to rain on your idea, but I think people that really understand and like to brainstorm on ideas about disassembling the protocol, are going to use IRC and PM.
    Some of you will note my thread at http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/sh...&threadid=3322 . I started this thread after ops in #showeq told me that I should come here to ask questions about structs/decoding/opcodes/etc...

Personally, I find the IRC channel much more hostile to questions than the forum. Usually the people there assume if you're asking questions about ANYTHING, then you're somehow wanting to find an ETA on a working version or some weirdness like that.

I have to say though, that after casey told me to post here, he did respond with a great message.. and I REALLY appreciate that, so this is not a flame at all! Just a short message to tell you guys that #showeq is not where development discussion takes place as far as I've ever seen. Maybe there could be a specific time of the week where devs come online and help us learn or answer questions, etc... Or, maybe there could be another channel that is ONLY dev discussion...I dunno.

NOW, in regards to the packet sniffing for structs/opcodes/etc... Someone has got to explain how the encryption works, or else none of us are going to be able to help on that ..hehehe

heh

I was in #showeq for weeks. When I tried to brainstorm I was ridiculed "looking for a free ride" by people who did nothing but flame people who came in. Even when I posted a new struct from the latest expansion which was a nice step people all of a sudden shut-up and a few PMs came in from those who were serious about doing it. DO NOT expect help in there cause there are alot of critics that offer no help. The devs in there no longer work on the project. I think there are only 2 ways to breach the barrier and enter the real circle of devs (and avoid the clowns who "think" they are part of this project in IRC. I do know some of you are into it heavily there and are weary about every Joe trying to help. But there are alot of people there who should not be, and I will post names next time I go there with a fix.).
    First is to actually go a few levels higher then core programming and fix a major borked part and let Ratt or someone know upon putting it into the CVS. This shows you offer more then just a lucky opcode strike or struct fix.
    Second, Keep posting those lucky finds and keep at the workings. improve whats there or even go a step further and go into the bug/request tickets and polish a couple of those. Don't ask stupid questions. Stupid = ones which answers lie hidden in the forums or ones that are basic and can be found in a book or off any search.
    In the meantime, I do plan on adding a level between "I am a dev" and "what the hell is make?". Its gonna be "I am learning and need to ask amatuer programming questions and brainstorm". I will be posting a server and channel soon for those who are serious about taking the appropriate steps. Sorry for the long post and no offense to anyone, a few bad sheep hiding behind a screen can make a very unpleasant experience.

Btw, if you do not know who I was before I created this new screen name then do not ask.

And flamers are worse then the people who deserve to be flamed. Instead of using 30 seconds to read a thread and see its not important it takes me 10 min to see people bash the living hell out of someone who just didn't know any better. And I notice alot of you who flame don't offer jack either. So stop the flames and be productive. Stop harassing the current devs who have lives and families for a fix also. done venting.

/CHEER Kizzy

Nice approach, Kizzy!
    Could work out, if someone's really gonna provide answers to all the questions that gonna pop up in the dev learner channel.

could work

well, having questions answered may get a little hard for certain things. Being we will all be entry-level to mid-level starters I think the answers will be from brainstorms and leads. The best thing about it is, you will have people as resources to all work together to get the answer. And those hardcore set into learning this will get op tags. Flamers are not welcome and free rides will be frowned upon. I only say this cause I want serious people there. For those "free ride" people, come and see what the channel message says. If there is no answers there then check teh CVS. It is open source and I promise we will put what we come up with there and in the dev forum. I don't mean to sound harsh when I say "free ride". People use this program religiously and play EQ as a passtime but do have lives. Some can't dedicate to something like this or grasp it at all and thats understood. Remember one thing though, effort goes alot farther then result. If you try to help and come up short or way off base you will not be laughed at but instead will be corrected in a helpful manner. I'm hoping this channel will alleviate some flaming and un-needed threads. As a matter of fact I am going to address something to Ratt and see if he bites on the idea.If he does then it should do exactly what I said.

Btw, I would like to start to get to know some of you hardcore beginners a little to start. ICQ me at 346972789 or AIM/Yahoo sn is KizzyEQ.

Sorry, but I'll have no time to join IRC channels, I don't really use ICQ though i got a really small ID as I can't use it from work.
    So you won't find me in channel.
    I prefer message boards, cause they're an asyncronous way of communication - i can hop in, check a problem, answer it and be out when I have time
    In my spare time which is short enough, I prefer beeing online in game and the folx I play with already started to complain about my reduced online time lately.

Thread Information