Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Routers (Seeking advice)

Wireless Routers (Seeking advice)

I have had Cable Internet installed about a week now and I want to get the rest of the house hooked into it. I have vaulted cellings, so I prefer to use a wireless method.

My question is. Are any of you using a Wireless Router that is working with SEQ and not blocking packets?

Are you happy with the Wireless model you have, or would you suggest another brand?

Thanks in advance...

Chuin

your best bet for wireless will probably be to get an ethernet -> wireless type "station" (or what ever its called). then, you plug the wireless station into a hub with your seq box, and then any traffic going over wireless should be easily and effortlessly sniffable by linux.

if you mean putting a wireless card in your linux box (and windows and...) i'm not sure how that would work out. you would need to make sure you get a wireless card that CAN go into promisc mode (i am not sure, but i think there are some that can't). i've also read that a wireless network is like a switched network, but i don't see how anything that is broadcast over airwaves would not be sniffable :)

I am not using wireless, but I did want to post to make sure you understand how to use Seq in a wireless setup. For your seq machine to see the packets from your wireless clients, it will need to be between the Internet and your EQ client. Somewhere you are still going to need to have Seq on a hub with your wireless gateway so it can see packets. My assumption is that you are using one of those wireless broadband routers, so you would have to do something like this:

Code:
    --------------------- Internet ---------------------
                                     |
                                     |
                              True Hub-------------------
                             /                          |
                            /                           |
                            |                           |
                 Wireless Router    Seq machine w/ non-routable IP
                            |
                            |
                            |
                    Your Network
    That should let your router grab the IP from your cable provider while allowing the non-routable seq machine to see the packets.

If you already knew this, I apologize, I just wanted to throw this in to make sure

Edit: Damn, fryfrog beat me because I was drawing pictures. Woohoo! I'm a guardian wurm now! I was an undead froglok forever.

Sorry Fry.... you showed me where I wasn't detailed enough...

Both the EQ PC and the Linux box's will be DIRECTLY attached to the Wireless Router... Only the other PC's in the home will need wireless access and none of them are running EQ, they just browse the Net.

I know that the surest way would be to come off of one port of the wireless router into a KNOWN hub and share that connection with SEQ, but I was hopeing to avoid that additional small purchase.

{EDIT} I drew a pretty picture too.... but it didnt format right...
    Last edited by Chuin; 09-19-2002 at 11:48 AM.

Originally posted by Chuin
    Both the EQ PC and the Linux box's will be DIRECTLY attached to the Wireless Router... Only the other PC's in the home will need wireless access and none of them are running EQ, they just browse the Net.
    I am almost positive that what you said will not work. With SEQ and the EQ on the router, SEQ wont be able to sniff the packets since it is a router. You will need to plug a hub into the router and put the EQ and the SEQ machines on it.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Yep.. without having specific software to "sniff" the ether, and translate the packets to ethernet packets, and do so at a level that pcap can pick them up, you wont be able to run in this mode... You will need to have your SEQ box at a level "above" the wireless network.

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Or get lucky and use a wireless NIC that is capable of promiscuous mode and therefore able to sniff the packets coming through the air.

actually, i think he means more along the lines of this (and forgive the REALLY crude picture). i think the router device he is talking about would include both a 10/100 built in X port switch (4ish?) as well as a wireless access point. i think he also means that his eq/seq will be on the 10/100 switch and that wireless is JUST meant for OTHER computers to get access (non eq). in this case, you would just need to dangle a real hub off the 10/100 and plug the eq/seq computer into that.

Code:
    internet -> router/wap -> hub -> seq/eq computers
                       \> just some other computers

Wireless Router

Yah Fryfrog got it right. As I have one of these a linksys wireless 4 port with router is a Switch.

You cannot use Show EQ on a switch
    You cannot use Show EQ behind a router. The mask of the router prevent's showeq from locating the packets. (I asked this question earlier)

So here's what you have to do

Cable Modem
    |
    Wireless Router <><><><> Non EQ Machines
    |
    10Mb Hub ----------- Non EQ Machine One --------- Non EQ Machine Two
    | (From The 10Mb Hub)
    EQ Machine ------------ Seq Machine.

So that's the ONLY way for a Seq Machine to be used on a Wireless Router or any router for that matter. The EQ Machine and the Seq Machine must be wired together. Be it with a Hub or through a 2nd nic card.

The easiest thing to do would be to add another nic to your Linux box and run your windows/eq pc off of it.

---------------linux box---------------
    wap------->eth0 eth1------>windows pc

Basically you would be using your wireless connection for your backbone.
    Last edited by Rubin; 09-19-2002 at 08:47 PM.

I'm going to do exactly as Fry suggested and feed a HUB from the router and plug the SEQ and EQ box into the Hub...

Thank you guys for making it clear.....

Wireless

Im running an Apple Airport, with my hub attached. No problems with my set up at all.
    I learned Linux with SEQ, and You can too!!

wireless setup

I have a wireless setup with a twist, and wanted some advice on how to configure.

eq machine ---wireless--- linksys --- dslmodem
    linux machine ---wireless

Both my EQ machine, and my laptop running showeq are wirelessly connected to a linksys 4 port wireless switch/router. There are no ethernet cables in the room where the EQ machine and linux machine exist, so wireless is a must.

Additionally my showeq machine is actually a windows laptop running connectix hosting redhat 9 as the guest OS. one of the challenges with this setup is that even though the laptop has 2 NICs in it, only one real NIC can be used in the guest os.

I was thinking the only way to get this setup to work, is to configure my EQ PC to use the linux laptop as its router, and to have the linux machine forward all the requests to the linksys router. Physically the machines would all be hooked up over wireless, but I was figuring with the linux machine playing the role of a router, the packets should be sniffable as they need to pass through the network stack to get routed.

Is my understanding correct? if so can someone point me at an faq/doc which covers the basics of configuring routing services on redhat in a way that permits routing to be set up between 2 networks using one physical nic which has multiple IP addresses each on different subnets assigned to it.

..David

I have a Netgear MR814 wireless access point/4 port router that works just fine. My laptop has an ORiNOCO Silver card. My Linux box (Redhat 8) is my internet gateway (has 2 NICs in it). I'll run ShowEQ through an X-Session on my laptop (running WinXP) connected to the Linux box. Have never had any problems (although, the fact that the Linux box is my gateway AND is the box ShowEQ is run on means it doesn't have to pick up the traffic through ANY router/switch/hub).

Orinoco gold + firmware downgrade=cheapest permisc wifi card to my knowledge. (a few google searches should yeild a howto on all of this, which version you need to downgrade to etc)

I have some vague recollection orinoco silvers can't get the downgrade, or can't drop into permisc once they do... tho it could have been we just found excellent deals on orinoco golds when we bought our cards about a year ago.

*fyi I don't beleive this works in winblows, while the card can get the downgrade, winblows can't actually drop it into permisc. The downgrade must happen on a winblows box tho.

Thread Information