Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I got SEQ going again...

There are multiple ways ^M can be caused

"^M" sometimes means (I dont know exactly what causes it) an ASCII (text) file was uploaded in binary mode - instead of ASCII. Always upload text files in ASCII. However, alot of web base upload scripts, frontpage, etc etc will f00k you up too and upload your text document in binary mode - yielding ^M characters.

If you are using "vi" text editor - you can remove the ^M from an entire text file (lets assume it has alot of lines) with the command:

:%s/^M//g

This is done by hitting the ":" key - then entering:
    %s/CTRL+V CTRL+M//g

CTRL+V will give you the ^ in vi - and the CTRL+M will give you the M - for a complete - and correct ^M

Test it for yourself Create a simple text file - ftp it up to your favorite server in binary mode - whallah ^M

Common mistake.
    Last edited by nvmy383z28; 07-26-2003 at 04:48 PM.

The reason for the extra ^M (I'll call [13] as it is ASCII value 13) is this:

DOS uses 2-bytes to do a carriage return. [10] to put the cursor back to column 1, and [13] to go to next line.

UNIX only needs the [10] to do both the line feed and resetting the column. Which is why you are left with the extra [13].

This is why it is important to FTP non-binary files using ASCII, it does the stripping of the [13] for you.

Ahhh! I knew there was a technical explanation for it - but wasnt sure exactly what it was. I knew if you uploaded txt files from windows to *nix in Binary you would get the ^M - but didnt know the technical cause for it.

Thanks for explaining it!

Originally posted by uRit1u2CBBA=
    The reason for the extra ^M (I'll call [13] as it is ASCII value 13) is this:

DOS uses 2-bytes to do a carriage return. [10] to put the cursor back to column 1, and [13] to go to next line.

UNIX only needs the [10] to do both the line feed and resetting the column. Which is why you are left with the extra [13].

This is why it is important to FTP non-binary files using ASCII, it does the stripping of the [13] for you.

I did everything on your post and it works fine till i tried to use the quickpatch.diff.

When i go in terminal mode and i type quickpatch i get an error

[root@localhost showeq]# quickpatch
    bash: quickpatch: command not found

what i my missing.

Silly boy.. Diff patches are applied with the patch program.

patch < quickpatch.diff

Thanks for the info.

Unhappy HMMM...ENGLISH PLEASE ???

Ok. I read your post in all hopes of figuring out how to get my Myseq working for the Very First Time. I did exactly what it said to do under the post "Installing Myseq". I downloaded the server,client,and maps. Also downloaded .net framework. Now im doing this ALL on 1 machine just like Myseq says I can do... I installed everything to the directories it said to...got all the way in EQ...started the server...started the client...went to options and changed the IP to 127.0.0.1 (I also Tried my IP address) and hit GO. I got a page with a big black screen and a red dot. All the mobs,levels and all that info was blank. If i went to get map...I could bring up a map for where I was but thats it...NO interaction at all. I havent done anything else at all because this is what the posts I have read said would work... I am just learning Visual C++ and have VC++ 6.0 on my machine. Plz tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing.

Wrong forum and wrong thread. This thread is about getting SHOWEQ to work, not MYSEQ.

pkzip for linux

Can someone please point me to a pkzip for linux? and, is there any particular reason why these patches were uploaded in windows PKZip format instead if gzip?

My linux box is a minimalist machine, I don't have the space or time/inclination to install Samba for linux-windows connectivity.. I would just like to download the patches on my linux box and install them.

Thanks

btw I don't have the "zip" or "unzip" utilities on my RH72 system, and gnorpm doesn't list a "zip" rpm under file applications. I downloaded PKwares "pklin251.exe" from tucows, and I get a "permission denied" (in superuser) when i try to run ./pklin251.exe ...

Any help appreciated thanks.

nm I found the unzip package on a redhat ftp site.

Thread Information