Thread: Unable to get showeq working / processing traffic

Hybrid View

Re: Unable to get showeq working / processing traffic

Quote Originally Posted by cn187 View Post
    Sorry - I didn't forget about you, just got a bit busy.

After thinking about this some more, since you may or may not be having capture/network issues, it might be best to narrow things down a bit further before we move to logs and such. (I don't think logs will be super useful if it's a capture or network issue).

Since there was a patch today, you'll want to start by updating/downloading the new version and doing a recompile/reinstall.

If you can install tcpdump/wireshark on your EQ machine and get a capture of a short play session, then you could copy that pcap (make sure it's pcap and not pcapng) to your SEQ box, then do a playback of the capture in SEQ. If SEQ works as expected when playing back the capture, then you know your SEQ installation is good and it's a network or system issue. If it doesn't work (and not failing for different reasons [1]), then it's probably something with your SEQ installation.

That would at least point you in a direction by eliminating one cause or the other.

If you're not able to do that test, then you could send me a capture of a short play session, which i can try to play back, and also dig through if it doesn't work. But the EQ->SEQ test would be have more diagnostic value.

[1] SEQ doesn't support ipv6 at all, and while the captures done by SEQ itself ignore ipv6 packets, playback of existing captures does not (fixing that is on my TODO list), so trying to play back a capture containing ipv6 traffic will have unpredictable results, and potentially cause SEQ to crash. So make sure when you do the capture, you filter out ipv6.
    No worries, appreciate the continued thoughts.

"[1] SEQ doesn't support ipv6 at all, and while the captures done by SEQ itself ignore ipv6 packets, playback of existing captures does not (fixing that is on my TODO list), so trying to play back a capture containing ipv6 traffic will have unpredictable results, and potentially cause SEQ to crash. So make sure when you do the capture, you filter out ipv6."

Can you help me understand this a little further? I do have IPv6 enabled. I assume you're saying normally this isn't an issue because EQ runs on IPv4 so with normal port mirroring this isn't an issue? (I'm a little ignorant on this- apologies).

"If you can install tcpdump/wireshark on your EQ machine and get a capture of a short play session, then you could copy that pcap (make sure it's pcap and not pcapng) to your SEQ box, then do a playback of the capture in SEQ. If SEQ works as expected when playing back the capture, then you know your SEQ installation is good and it's a network or system issue. If it doesn't work (and not failing for different reasons [1]), then it's probably something with your SEQ installation."

Haven't played with this on Windows but I imagine I can figure that part out. Assuming I can capture it, are there instructions somewhere I could reference to playback that capture in SEQ?

I'll start out updating my version- thanks.

Re: Unable to get showeq working / processing traffic

Quote Originally Posted by jars75 View Post
    No worries, appreciate the continued thoughts.

"[1] SEQ doesn't support ipv6 at all, and while the captures done by SEQ itself ignore ipv6 packets, playback of existing captures does not (fixing that is on my TODO list), so trying to play back a capture containing ipv6 traffic will have unpredictable results, and potentially cause SEQ to crash. So make sure when you do the capture, you filter out ipv6."

Can you help me understand this a little further? I do have IPv6 enabled. I assume you're saying normally this isn't an issue because EQ runs on IPv4 so with normal port mirroring this isn't an issue? (I'm a little ignorant on this- apologies).

"If you can install tcpdump/wireshark on your EQ machine and get a capture of a short play session, then you could copy that pcap (make sure it's pcap and not pcapng) to your SEQ box, then do a playback of the capture in SEQ. If SEQ works as expected when playing back the capture, then you know your SEQ installation is good and it's a network or system issue. If it doesn't work (and not failing for different reasons [1]), then it's probably something with your SEQ installation."

Haven't played with this on Windows but I imagine I can figure that part out. Assuming I can capture it, are there instructions somewhere I could reference to playback that capture in SEQ?

I'll start out updating my version- thanks.
    Well, I certainly don't know what happened. And I did restart all my hardware (routers, PCs, switch) over the weekend (doing electrical work). But when I installed the new update today, it started running perfectly. Not sure exactly what it was here that fixed it, but it looks like I'm indeed good to go now. So sorry for confusion here and appreciate the support.

Thread Information