PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 12 step program for win*o*s users?

linux247
04-21-2002, 09:47 PM
I recognize that I have a problem. I want to change. Until recently, I've only known the world of win*o*s. Will some kind soul pause long enough to help me along the road to recovery?
I have, what I'm sure will be, an easy first question for many of you to answer. I have successfully installed RH 7.2 <go me!> and so far have not been able to get a simple dial-up connection working. Error message: exit status #4 "The kernal does not support ppp, for example, the ppp kernal driver is not included or cannot be loaded."
I'm currently trying to find a solution at Red Hat's site... has anyone had the same problem?
Modem: US Robotics 5686D v.92 external

Cryonic
04-21-2002, 10:01 PM
"The kernal does not support ppp, for example, the ppp kernal driver is not included or cannot be loaded."

This is your problem right here. For some reason the ppp driver is not built into the kernel and the module is either not present or not loading.

You might want to go to a linux doc site (as opposed to here) and read the howto's on setting up a ppp connection with linux.

www.linuxnewbie.org
www.linuxdocs.org

linux247
04-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the response, Cryonic. There is some info at Red Hat's site that looked to be promising (I tried all the steps listed, nothing worked :( ) and I also tried the sites that you recommended, but I haven't been able to solve the problem yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience with setting up a simple dial-up connection or a possible solution?
update: after spending most of one day trying to get this thing to connect, I decided to do a clean install on a 3rd (older) computer that I don't use anymore. Would you believe that it worked the FIRST time. Now I'm wondering if it was a hardware issue or just a configuration issue... while step 2b is compiling, I think I'll take another crack at it.

UnGod
04-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Not having the ppp module available for the kernel would definatly not be a hardware problem ;)
Mahaps you simply forgot to install something on the first install and got it on the second box :)

(Technically you could probably copy /lib/modules/<kernelversion>/kernel/drivers/net/ppp* over to the first box into the same dir and it may just work)

No quoting me on the above as i'v never used redhat -- hardcore slackware user here ;)

a_splitpaw_gnol
04-27-2002, 01:45 PM
The red hat site has a neat feature. http://rhn.redhat.com

This site will allow you to install the packages by package name on your computer. I recommend doing it this way, as it will check for file dependancies also when it goes to install. Do a search for ppp and install all the packages listed. This should fix your issue.