PDA

View Full Version : 30 Step Guide to Setting SHOWEQ up on Windows!

Marcus
04-22-2002, 08:16 AM
After some consideration, I've decided to remove this particular post due to the fact that this is a site dedicated to ShowEQ on Linux.

Windows versions are not supported on this site.

While this method is still technically "on Linux", the primary thrust of the topic is Windows based. Aside from the obvious ramifications of an 'easy to use' version of ShowEQ, this will also cause a load of messages on "How to get this to work under VMWare/Windows" messages, which most of us emphatically do not care about nor have any desire to support.

This was a fairly tough call, I try to keep my hands off the moderating of these forums as much as possible, and while the whole VMWare/ShowEQ thing has been around for awhile, I think it's best if we leave it up to the readers to explore that option on their own.

ShowEQ is already entirely too easy to setup by following all the HOWTO guides for Linux, I don't forsee a need to add to that with a VMWare guide.

Thank you for the effort though, Marcus.

--Ratt / Moderator

high_jeeves
04-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Admin.. Please delete this immediatly...

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
04-22-2002, 08:30 AM
Especially since his script forces you to download libEQ.a from an unsupported website...

--Jeeves

Marcus
04-22-2002, 08:36 AM
The Pic file i have is To big will work out how to shrink it past zip format in a few days

Sorry

hehehe

Marcus

Sydney, Australia

"Its our Witts that make us Men"

guice
04-22-2002, 10:06 AM
Please Delete this ASAP.

Fools must understand, there IS a reason to keep SEQ OFFF the Windoze platform!

fryfrog
04-22-2002, 10:32 AM
running showeq on vmware on a windows computer is nothing new, in fact there are probably 3 or 4 other posts detailing how it can be done. it really isn't something to worry about "getting out" as you STILL have to install and use linux.

the problem is where it is downloading the libeq.a file IF it really is getting it from an un-trusted site.

high_jeeves
04-22-2002, 11:23 AM
check his script out... it wgets it from elsewhere...

--jeeves

S_B_R
04-22-2002, 04:04 PM
Another thing, I don't think I would download a script from someone that couldn't figure out how to get DHCP working in linux. :rolleyes:

If windows can get and IP using DHCP then linux can too.

a_corpse00
04-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Umm

Please delete this.

I operate the http://home.rochester.rr.com/zapem site and do not want the mirror to be used in this fashion.

Marcus
04-23-2002, 06:30 AM
Hi there to you all,

1. It took me hours of my personal Time to write you all a easy guide to setting up a alternate way to use Showeq.

2. This Guide i wrote is for people who don't or cannot afford a second pc to run showeq normaly

3. The script that i wrote for you all ISN"T Dodgy you can put what ever you want in the dam "SIMPLE TXT" file if you choose not to DL from the site i choose AND the site POSTED in the showeq setup guide IS DOWN! so high_jeeves GET a Life you 13 year old sour grape

:p

4.There has Been 1 post by some dude saying he got SHOWEQ running on VMWARE But thats it "there is NO GUIDE" just him saying he got it running and it was posted 4 months ago hmmm you going to read 4 month old posts to a program that changes everyday ?????

5. HAY........
S_B_R

plz dude IM no NOOB at linux and OPTUS@HOME you different DHCP methods to your overseas @home.
I had showeq running for 8 months on my linux server untill they changed there method i took heaps of time reading to get it going and hmmmmmm I dont give a crap what you think you havent written and guides of any Value.

6. Last but not least the Dude called a_corpse00
is a Dodgy name some thought up proberly S_B_R or guice becouse I RUN AND OWN THAT SITE!.

To all you NOOB admins GET YOUR LIFE TOGETHER and help other Noobs to get the program running smooth and you wouldnt have a MILLION post's....
Oh where can i DL Showeq from, Showeq is missing certian files.

ect

Cheers to all the people who found my post helpful and ill love to hear a nice post not everyone against me

"hay im here to help you"

Marcus

Sydney, Australia

:confused:

high_jeeves
04-23-2002, 08:22 AM
You are new here Marcus, so I'll give you a quick lesson in the history of ShowEQ:

Everytime ShowEQ gets easy enough to use, Verant rewrites their encryption scheme making ShowEQ unusable. Sometimes this takes very little time to crack (weeks), sometimes it takes a long time to crack (months). So, while we appreciate you attempt to make it easier for people to run ShowEQ, this is a very bad idea. You see, now all of the kids who dont have the money to go buy a second machine for ShowEQ have an easy to use guide for how to pass that requirement. You just made ShowEQ accessable to 100% more people that it was previously, inviting the wrath of Sony on this project. If ShowEQ breaks in the next few patches because of an encryption change, we'll all send you nice thank you letters as we spend our time re-working the encryption.

Also, dont make personal attacks on people, it only shows your personality and age. Instead of that, why dont you make constructive comments. Nobody on this thread insulted you (or even your idea), but you come back in a very childish fashion...

The site you are downloading libEQ.a from is unsupported. The only supported sites are listed in README.libEQ in the CVS tree. It would take all of about 2 hours for sombody to make a libEQ.a that sent them a list of character names that use ShowEQ, and maybe a day or two for somebody to write a version that stole usernames/passwords. This is why control over download locations is so tight.

--Jeeves

a_corpse00
04-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Marcus

is a Dodgy name some thought up proberly S_B_R or guice becouse I RUN AND OWN THAT SITE!.

Okay jackass. Because of YOU I will take the libEQ.a mirror down.

Oh look, your guide is broken. :rolleyes:

high_jeeves
04-23-2002, 10:39 AM

I especially like this part, because he didnt notice you had ~30 posts to your name already :)

--Jeeves

a_corpse00
04-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by high_jeeves

I especially like this part, because he didnt notice you had ~30 posts to your name already :)

--Jeeves

And registered in December, eh? :)

LordCrush
04-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Oh btw - vmware is no freeware - its a comercial expensive software. A legaly licencensed vmware is $299.

https://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/newstore/index.jsp

BTW i dont know how much a 2nd hand pc is in the US ;)

Sure it is more easy to get a correct license key from the web than to find a pc there at no cost :rolleyes:

Regards

- Lord Crush

S_B_R
04-23-2002, 10:21 PM
5. HAY........
S_B_R

plz dude IM no NOOB at linux and OPTUS@HOME you different DHCP methods to your overseas @home.
I had showeq running for 8 months on my linux server untill they changed there method i took heaps of time reading to get it going and hmmmmmm I dont give a crap what you think you havent written and guides of any Value..HERE (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=905&highlight=dhcpcd) is a thread that will tell what you need to get DHCP working in Linux on ANY @Home service.

Hint: PUMP is a BAD dhcp client. If windows can get an IP via DCHP then Linux can too!

To all you NOOB admins GET YOUR LIFE TOGETHER and help other Noobs to get the program running smooth and you wouldnt have a MILLION post's....
Oh where can i DL Showeq from, Showeq is missing certian files.I take great offense in this. Basically you are calling me a fraud and a liar. You sir have lost any credibility you may have had with me and I suspect with many of the other regulars on this board.
Can we get the Moderators to confirm that a_copse00 and I are in fact different people...:mad:

Exo
04-26-2002, 05:15 PM
My personal opinions are to follow.

Some of you may recall that my opinion leans towards freedom of information over the protection of information, thus I believe ShowEQ should be made available to as many people as want it and any support the community can give them to use it however they see fit should be forth coming from the community. To do otherwise as an act of defending the information does not stand as a valid excuse in my eyes, as any information that is not shared will eventually die. I see it as a totally selfish and elitist attitude to bash down anyone that takes any steps towards making this program available in a cross platform setting. In this the developers and I have disagreed for a long time. I'm probably tolerated more than most because I don't belittle myself to the point of flaming when I state my opinions, something a lot of people could go a long way with. However, the removal of original post in this thread has without a doubt upset me more than anything I have seen so far. It has gone to the point that not only are you not willing to share your knowledge with others but you are actively working to keep others ignorant by placing obstacles in the paths of those that wish to share such knowledge. I have never before had to exercise such restraint upon myself to remain civil when posting. This lock down of information and unwillingness to share is in a large part responsible for Linux even existing and in almost every way responsible for the Open Source movement. I understand it was a difficult choice for you to remove the post, I can only imagine that it truly would have been. I am sorry that when you were tested you have in my opinion failed. Today you lay down with the demons that Open Source was created to fight.

Please note that I make no personal statement to the validity or usefulness of the guide that was removed only to the value of the act of removing any attempt to educate and share.

S_B_R
04-26-2002, 05:33 PM
In most respects I totally agree with you Exo. However in this instance it is Verant that is causing this information to remain "elitist" and not the developers nor the showEQ community. Yes, it is very true that Closed/Hidden information will ultimately die out. However if this information is made easily accessible and free of setup difficulties and costs, it will surely Die a much earilier death than it would have otherwise. It is Verant's choice to punish those who use this information, as they have done in the past. Blame not the ShowEQ developers, not the ShowEQ community, the blame rests souly on the shoulders of Verant.

Ratt
04-26-2002, 06:30 PM
In principal, I agree with what you are saying Exo... however, I believe you may not be considering all the facts in the situation.

In a nutshell, the very basic outline of the reasons behind me removing the post are thus; This is a SEQ Linux board, I have never, nor do I ever plan to support a windows version of this. That being the case, any references to running the Linux version of SEQ on Windows is beyond the scope of this message board. Would you go to a support site for lawn mower repair to get an answer to how to fix your blender? Doubtful. You *may* find someone who can answer your question at a lawn mower site, but it's not appropriate and off topic.

Additionally, I am not obstruting the dissimination of this information, other than to remove an off topic post from a very specifically targted message forum. Marcus obviously put a lot of work into that, and he is MORE than welcome to post it elsewhere, but these message boards are not the place for it.

Now, where I do differ from you in my opinions is the matter of people being able to use a tool in an appropriate fashion. Lets take the analogy of a handgun. Would you sell a handgun to a child? No, probably not. Even if you would, the government says that it's illegal to sell a handgun to a child. That is withholding information from a person. The child could learn many things from examining and using a firearm (BTW - I firmly believe in educating your child in the use and operation of firearms, to include copious quantities of safety information). SEQ is a handgun in the hands of the user, I think most of us will agree on that. It can be used beneficially (to direct raids) or destructively (To farm/PvP/etc...). It's entirely up to the user to use it in a responsible manner, just like it is up to the operator of a firearm to use it in a responsible matter.

It would be impossible for me to instruct and ensure that every user of SEQ uses it in a responsible manner (ensure being the key word) - if I give my child a handgun, I would be sure to supervise my child at every possible moment that he uses the firearm until I am 100% confident that he is aware of the ramifications of his actions and his thoughts and ideals are aligned with my own when it comes to using and operating a handgun. I can not do that with every user of SEQ. Therefore, a compromise must be made. Just as the goverment has made a compromise in the sale of handguns. The goverment can not superivse and educate every potential user of a handgun, so they have to take it on faith that the user will be responsible. To balance this out, they require a waiting period and a background check in some cases. We all know these are mostly a joke, but the concept is the same.

The difficulty in setting up SEQ is the background check and waiting period. While it can't verify age, it will verify that the user is intelligent enough to utilize critical thinking and may therefore be more responsible with the tool.

Of course this system is not 100% accurate, just as all Windows users are not complete boobs or irresponsible assholes. There are plenty of irresponsible assholes on my server who use LSEQ, as I'm sure there are on other servers. Just as I'm sure there are an equal number of responsible users who would use the Windows version. But somewhere, somehow the line must be drawn.

I choose to draw the line at Linux/Windows. This line is arbitrary, it just happens to be there. I believe that drawing the line here, and the fact that it's arbitrary serves an ulterior motive that is beneficial; Introducing a new user to Linux and furthing the Linux cause. By forcing someones hand in this manner, some have and hopefully will continue to use Linux, preferably dropping Windows all together to throw their collective weight behind a free operating system, thereby giving it a larger marketshare, thereby causing major corporations and private enterprises to consider Linux as a financially viable platform to develope for... furthering the Linux cause.

So there is nothing sinister here, nor is there censorship of information. I am not stamping out Windows alternatives, I am forcing the hand of people who want to use this particular product to adopt a new paradigm. If you or anyone else is so against adopting something new, there is NOTHING forcing you to, other than your desire to use this tool. At that point, it is entirely up to YOU to decide if the use of the tool is worth more than being comfortable with the status quo. For some it is, for others it isn't. I have no ill will to either camp, but I choose to throw my support fully behind Linux, you are free to choose to throw your support elsewhere, should you want to.

The information is free, but the cost of propegating it is not. It's not my responsiblity to bear the cost of your desires, only the cost of my own.

Exo
05-09-2002, 03:17 AM
I've given you're comments a good deal of thought and I'm willing to concede certain points, not the least of which is that ShowEQ should not be used to hinder the enjoyment of Everquest for those people that choose to play it with out cheating. I don’t want to spawn the old conversation as to whether or not ShowEQ is cheating. I use ShowEQ, WinEQ, Xylobot, and EQWatcher. I consider myself to be cheating, if someone here doesn’t think they are cheating then wonderful for them. They may assume I was talking only of myself when I used the word “cheating”. So in the protection of average players I give my nod of agreement on the moral ground. You stated that the choice of where you draw the line is arbitrary and in that I find relieve that you understand that being able to set up Linux and ShowEQ should in no way speak towards ones intellect let alone the character of an individual. Given the two points above as truths I can in no way conclude correctness in the action of squelching an attempt at helping others achieve a goal but I can at least confirm sympathy for the origin of the action.

I will not offer counter points or debate, as I am not making an attempt to sway your opinions such that they would more align with my own. At best I would hope that I might cause people to give further thought to things such as this and understand my point of view. My point of view is not unique or outstanding, in truth it is quite typically among other Open Source projects.

Now since I posted my original post in this thread I have received more than one request to help people set up ShowEQ on Windows. Let me state that contacting me will in no way help you reach that goal. The original post was removed before I got a chance to read it but from what I gathered it was only instructions for downloading and installing VM-ware. The idea of using VM-ware to run ShowEQ seems like using a bat to kill an ant to me and you would be better served spending time looking into a simple windows based X-server and WinEQ unless you can not afford a second machine in which case you will probably be disappointed in the performance of VM-ware in conjunction with Everquest anyway. I run the risk of being off topic here so I will simply reiterate contacting me for help in setting up ShowEQ on Windows is as waste of more than one persons time as I don’t have the skills to help you with what you need. I wish I did but I don’t.

P.S. If again I feel I need to say something on this topic I'll send it directly to Ratt so that I can stop bumping a thread that I'm certain he wanted dead long ago.