PDA

View Full Version : Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0" .

csmith12
04-22-2002, 10:18 AM
After helping a friend install a fresh RH box, I got this error while running showeq

Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0" .

I was albe to reinstall to get showeq working, but I saw many posts in this forum that pointed people in the direction of the hub/switch that was in use.

I have found that this is not always the case. (With my limited knowledge of the showeq code.) As i had my showeq box running just fine on the same network as the box i was installing.

So I ask is there any other reason for this message.

Thanks

fryfrog
04-22-2002, 10:27 AM
i don't think that error message is actually something that will stop showeq from working. that doesn't reference the network in anyway, it is entirely about the X display. if showeq attempts to start, but dies paste the entire log of what it says.

again, i don't think this is a problem that results in seq not working, i think it is just saying that it didn't find some library that it could use.

try verifying that you have Xlib installed (i don't know what it is, so use rpmfind.net) and see where that takes you.

csmith12
04-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Sadly it did not work with the error stated above.

Let me go alittle farther....

Showeq start, reported error.

All the windows for showeq came up just fine
Blank map was loaded........

Showeq never was able to attach to EQ client.

I did see some bad packet things go by in the console window, but didn't save them. sorry.

I was pretty sure, that I installed the required rpms/qt during the init install, but I may have missed one i guess.

I would be very interested in knowing where or what rpm the xlib requirement comes from. Anyone know???

Much Thanks

Cryonic
04-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0" .

This has absolutely nothing to do with SEQ not working. It just means that the RENDER option is not available for your config (hell even I get it on my system).

I would seriously look at your NIC or HUB/Switch.

tcpdump -i eth0 | grep <windows IP>

fryfrog
04-22-2002, 05:17 PM
okay, cryonic's suggestion is the one to go with. that error means absolutly nothing, especially if showeq is actually loading up and you are just having trouble getting the data.

my strong wager is that you EITHER have a full blown REAL switch (does the box say something like "10/100 8port ethernet switch"?)

OR

you have a sneaky hub-switch. the box will say something like "10/100 8 port ethernet hub" but for some reason it actually behaves as a switch in MANY normal network setups.

if you THINK you have a hub, then i'm going to bet that your network is something like this...

eq, seq and gateway device all hooked to hub. all devices are 100mbit. this is the configuration where the "hub" is really a switch.

toss in ANY 10mbit device (as long as it is NOT your eq/seq computer) and that should work.

the OTHER final option is this:

your windows computer IS your internet gateway. if this is the case, as unstable as windows is... it is NOT networking retarded. it will NOT send packets out to a network interface that has nothing to do with getting the packets to their intended destination.

please, describe your network topology and we will see what we can do :)

also, while you may think that you know what the problem is... providing as MUCH detail as you can will allow us to determine what WE think the problem is, instead of just feeding us what you think is needed based on what you think the problem is :)

csmith12
04-23-2002, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Since I was able to get that machine up and running. I grabbed another and repeat the install that worked on the first 2 that I did.

1. Got the same error :(

So here is what I have tried.

Hardware:
1. Replaced my (Switch) with HP 10mb Hub
2. Replaced NIC in PC
3. Replaced cable to PC

Software:
1. Reinstalled NIC drivers
2. Installed generice NE2000 NIC drivers
3. Complete fresh install follow guide (the one that has "bash seq.txt"
4. Copied rpms/source/libEQ.a from working machine for install of showeq

With all that said. I would believe that it is hardware related. Due to fact that I took, the exact same source code from working machine and install in non-working machine. But I would think that it is not related to the network hardware that I have. I would be more inclined to think it has something to do with the pc hardware. (NIC, VID, RAM bla bla bla)

Here is the Machine specs
1. P200MMX
2. 48mb RAM
3. 3GB HD
4. Trident (crappy) VID (2MB vRAM)
5. 3COM EtherLink III 10/100 (Also replaced with HP LAN, Intel somthing)

Could this issue be with VID card? Since it is a crapy one?. I will have to try to swap this out, but will have trouble due to the fact is on the motherboard on the box that I am working with.

My net topology is
Inet->gateway->hub->Rest of pcs (eq box, showeq box, ect....)

No matter what I do with other machine, I still have the machine that I installed the first time running with no issue.

Thanks for all help.

csmith12
04-23-2002, 08:07 AM
oh, sorry,

Yes, showeq will run on the box in question, but doesn't seem to be recieving any data. (you know, the old black/blank screen deal)

I know that sounds network related, but makes no since seeing I have a working box on the same network????.

high_jeeves
04-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Are you running PPOE? PPOE changes the packet structure so showEQ doesnt recognise packets.

--Jeeves

csmith12
04-23-2002, 08:28 AM
PPOE = Nope,

The gateway machine is a W2K Server box with Internet Connection Sharing

I will check the showeq box to make sure it is not running there.

high_jeeves
04-23-2002, 08:39 AM
if you run tcpdump, what do you see? (just broadcast traffic, or all traffic?)

--Jeeves

fryfrog
04-23-2002, 10:36 AM
this is odd, from everything you have described it SHOULD work.

you are saying that you have tried ANOTHER seq box on this network and it worked fine, right? so that pretty much narrows it down to your box itself.

perhaps this ne2000 compatible card can't/doesn't like going into promisc mode?

that is really the only think i can think of

you are seeting the ip of the everquest computer in the showeq.conf file OR perhaps with the --ip-address= option?

csmith12
04-23-2002, 06:15 PM
Seems it is only seeing broadcast traffic.....

But what makes no sence to me is this.

1. I start eq
2. I start showeq on the box that works
3. i start showeq on the box that doesn't work
4. I zone to make sure everything is cool
5. I see that the box with working showeq is picking up spawns (yes)
6. I take nic cable and plug it into non-working box
7. I do tcpdump and all i see is broadcast packets

I have tried many nic cards, many drivers for nic cards. Nothing seems to make a difference????

Ok, this ones got me scratching my head?????

high_jeeves
04-23-2002, 08:07 PM
try manually setting the card in promisc. mode..

I think its "ifconfig eth0 up promisc".. see if that does anything... just shooting for anything here now..

--Jeeves

csmith12
04-24-2002, 08:42 AM
I will try that and let you know...

Thanks

csmith12
05-07-2002, 09:06 AM
Ok, this problem is now solved.

After much work, and many posts.........

Here is what fixed my other boxes.

It was the NIC. (as i expected it to be a while back)

Here is what I observed.

I have a 100mb Network mind you.

This donesn't work?????? Anyone know why?

1. EQ box running at 100mb
2. Working showeq box running at 100mb
3. Non-working showeq box running at 10mb

This worked for me....

1. EQ box running at 100mb
2. Working showeq box running at 100mb
3. UPDATE - Non-working showeq box now workes with a 100mb NIC installed

I many complete fresh installs on many different boxes to reach this conclusion.

Can anyone shed some light on why the EQ box and the Showeq box must run at the same network speed?

Thanks

S_B_R
05-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Most hubs (if not all hubs) that are autosensing/autoswitching 10/100 have a seperate segment for each speed. 1 segment for 100mb and 1 for 10mb. Meaing 100mb trafic is only sent to other 100mb ports and 10mb traffic is only sent to other 10mb ports.

Aside from that, 100mb(fast ethernet) and 10mb(ethernet) are different protocols. If you think about it for a minute, if your 10mb card could receive 100mb traffic why would it be only a 10mb card?

csmith12
05-07-2002, 10:17 AM
S_B_R I am not sure of the internal workings of hubs, but what you said makes perfect sence.

But where does the translation of speed occur. I can share files between the boxes. I can ftp form a 10mb client to a 100mb server. I know the packets are making it from box to box.

With that said.....

I am a software developer myself. I just don't understand how NIC card speed would affect this. Maybe I am missing something here.

Since tcpdump only seen limited packet data. I would presume that this is not an issue with showeq directly, but rather RH or the linux kernal or something.

Am I on the right track? Would be good to know when I start getting into Linux/Unix development. Right now, I do mostly windows development, but do some Linux/Unix web development.

Thanks for all your help.

high_jeeves
05-07-2002, 10:38 AM
The translation occurs because there is a switch BETWEEN the planes (switching from 100MBit to 10MBit). Because this is a switch, it is only going to convert data that is directed to a machine on the 10MBit plane. Since the EQ traffic is directed at a machine on the 100Mbit plane, the internal switch never moves it to the 100Mbit plane...

Just think about it logically.. if the plane-switch tried to move all 100Mbit traffic onto the 10Mbit plane, even if it wasnt directed, the 10Mbit plane would always be flooded when the 100Mbit plane was transferring greater than 10Mbit.. This would either render the 10Mbit plane useless, or limit the 100Mbit plane to 10Mbit... so by nature these two planes MUST be aggressivly switched.

--Jeeves

csmith12
05-07-2002, 12:07 PM
Thanks all,

Makes sence now, if I would have only know that from the begining........

Would have saved much time and effort.

But we live we learn.

Thanks again