PDA

View Full Version : Seeking recommendation: hub that works like a hub

Ari
04-23-2002, 07:18 PM
I'm finally upgrading my little home network to 100Mb, which means I've got to say goodbye to the old 10Mb hub I've been using forever.

I picked up a LinkSys 5 port (model EFAh05W) and determined that it's one of these pseudo-hubs that doesn't really broadcast to all the nodes. I tried mixing 10 and 100 Mb connections to get it to broadcast correctly, to no avail.

Can anybody recommend a 100Mb hub that will actually broadcast to all connected nodes? 4-8 ports is plenty, and everything will be connected at 100Mb so it doesn't need to be able to handle both necessarily.

Thanks in advance!

Ari

high_jeeves
04-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Basically anything but a linksys works well...

I use a Netgear DS104...

--Jeeves

monster69
04-23-2002, 08:17 PM
The general consensus agrees with Jeeves on several other threads, however, I am using a Linksys EFAH08W with no problems at all. All devices run at 100Mb and it works flawlessly.

Monster

Ari
04-23-2002, 08:17 PM
LOL that figures. Thanks I'll snag something non-Linksys tomorrow.

EDIT: And on another note, have you ever tried to explain to a CompUSA employee the difference between a switch and a hub? Try it next time you need a laugh.

S_B_R
04-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Ari

EDIT: And on another note, have you ever tried to explain to a CompUSA employee the difference between a switch and a hub? Try it next time you need a laugh.

Try explaining anything remotely technical and you'll be equally as assumed ;) I'm sure there are some knowledgable CompUSA folks somewhere but I have yet to speak with any of them... of course I do try and avoid places like that... :rolleyes:

fyodorst
04-24-2002, 10:05 AM
I have just a question about this Linksys hub business since I'm using one and have never had a problem. I know that many hubs have a switch optional port or a switch... well a switch switch. I've seen them on Linksys (including mine) and on D-Link. Is it possible that many people with this switch/hub problem are using the switch port which would in effect "turn it into" a switch or that the switch switch is on by default and they just don't turn it off? Anyone with this problem might want to check.

Serresrelic
04-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Ari

Lol. Hey, I used to be one of those compUSA employees!

... well, when I was an 18 year old, pimple-faced dork. I didn't know jack about computers at the time, but I was a great salesman, that's why I got hired...

... I now fully boycott anything and everything having to do with CompUSA. :D

Eryl Flynn
04-24-2002, 05:41 PM
So a Netgear DS108 hub should work fine? I have one that when I get my one place alone that I want to use but worried it will act like a switch but not a hub.

Ari
04-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Eryl Flynn
So a Netgear DS108 hub should work fine? I have one that when I get my one place alone that I want to use but worried it will act like a switch but not a hub.

That's what I ended up getting, and it works great. Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT: (And as far as this answer being on several other threads, searches on "hub" or "switch" or "LinkSys" with no date resttriction did not yield them.)

monster69
04-25-2002, 09:15 AM
That Netgear should serve you quite well.

BTW - I just did a search to make sure the engine was running right and on searching with keyword of switch I got 80 topics and on keyword of linksys I got 45 topics.

Dunno what went wrong with your search, but the answers are there.

Monster

Pigeon
04-25-2002, 02:54 PM
I'm using a SMC-EZ5805DS and it does NOT work...

/rude CompUSA

Eryl Flynn
04-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Go check out New Egg, they sell the netgear hubs like I bought for a good price .

www.newegg.com

Cryonic
04-25-2002, 03:46 PM
I've been using an Intel Inbusiness 8-port hub. No problems with it.

fgay trader
04-27-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
I've been using an Intel Inbusiness 8-port hub. No problems with it.

Intel InBusiness 8-port user here too. I got it a year ago at work when they threw it away in lew of a new switch. Now I'm very happy I took it out of the trashcan back then :)