PDA

View Full Version : tcpdump & networking issue

cerestes
04-24-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey, have seq completely compiled and it runs fine, problem is it gets no network traffic.

I can ping my EQ box fine, but tcpdump has an error.

I try:
tcpdump -i eth0 | grep (IP addy of eq computer)

and it responds:
tcpdump: WARNING: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: listening on eth0
(nothing, gets no traffic)

Any clue what this is and how to fix it?

Incase it matters, my network configuration is:
ZyXel aDSL modem => 4 port hub (Farralon starlet hub) => 3 computers, one is for EQ (winXP), one is redhat 7.2, and a second winxp box.

high_jeeves
04-24-2002, 02:04 PM
I'm going to guess (because the error message tells you this) that you dont have an IP Address assigned for the linux box. Now, this shouldnt affect ShowEQ, but will give you that error on tcpdump. You either need to set an IP, or make sure you have DHCP working correctly, if thats what you use.. check out some of the linux sites for details on how to do these things.

--Jeeves

cerestes
04-24-2002, 02:18 PM
Hrm, I'm sure I had dhcp working like 45 minutes ago, but at that point i was using ICS via the windows machine.

Installed a PPPoE client from www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe and disabled ICS on the other machine.

ifconfig appears that it has an ip address, not sure if it misconfigured somehow.

If this isnt affecting SEQ i'll figure out how to fix it, but that doesnt help with the no network traffic.

Someone able to confirm if the set up (dsl modem => 4 port hub => 3 computers, one of which is eq / one of which is seq) will work?

fryfrog
04-24-2002, 03:24 PM
pppoe modifies the packet structure. you need something that will translate the pppoe packets into normal ethernet packets. this is actually far simpler than it sounds :)

you can use the linux box as a gateway, and run the pppoe software on (say) eth0, then sniff from eth1 and the ip of the windows eq box...

OR you can put yourself a real hardware (or a floppy/cdrom based linux firewall distro) between the dsl modem and the hub.

if you have 100 bucks and NO time, goto your computer store and buy a linksys/dlink what ever brand residential "gateway" firewall thing.

if you have some time, search freshmeat.net and the internet for "floppy" router or "cdrom" or "firewall"....

astaro.org is something that to me looks like a GREAT firewall product (might be hard to use/setup, but its ALL web based). also, i use freesco.info myself and love it.

cerestes
04-24-2002, 03:57 PM
Before i run around modifing my network setup let me make sure i understand.

A much 'better' method of setting up the network would be:

DSL Modem => Linux/SEQ Box (with two NICS) running a 'floppy router' => HUB => EQ and other machines?

Really dont have money to throw around atm, but i'm sure i've got an extra NIC floating around here somewhere.

fryfrog
04-25-2002, 06:28 AM
no no, close but not quite on the nose :)

DSL Modem -> FULL BLOWN linux box for seq with 2 nics and pppoe software on eth0 -> hub -> eq computers

OR!

DSL Modem -> floppy based linux distro on crap 386 computer with 2 network cards with pppoe software running on eth0 -> hub -> eq AND seq computers

there are benifits to both, but i prefer the second (and thats what i use personally). every once in a while my full blown linux box will completely freeze up (doesn't happen very often) OR everyonce in a while i attempt something completely stupid and blow away my linux box. if you do this in the FIRST setup, your internet connection is down. if you are using the SECOND setup, your inet is still up but your seq computer is down (which is much easier on me and the others in my house).

as a site note, i have NEVER setup a router with pppoe support. there are guides for doing this with freesco (this one WILL run on a 386+ w/ 8mb ram) but i have NOT followed them, as i don't have dsl!

option 2 only works if you have a crap computer laying around :)

csmith12
05-07-2002, 09:26 AM
Make sure you have the same speed Nic cards in your boxes.

eg

EQ box 10mb = Showeq box 10mb
EQ box 100mb = Showeq box 100mb

I had same issue, that fixed for me