PDA

View Full Version : new installation issues... Suggestions please..

OgreB
04-26-2002, 01:50 AM
I just setup a new redhat 7.2 box with the lastest cvs build as of april 26 2002. Everthing seems to have compiled correctly. The problem is i cannot see my characters movements on the map. The zones will decode properly and show all player / mob locations but my characters compass / location never changes. I am not sure want the problem is since all other spawns movements are fine including corpses be dragged. i dont see my characters movement on the map and the compass does not update even direction even when spinning in circles. I am at a lost i have check the conf files and cannot seem to find what i missed. Any suggestions?

Ogre B

high_jeeves
04-26-2002, 09:29 AM
My suggestion is to find the 4-5 other posts on the board with the exact same problem as you.

--Jeeves

OgreB
04-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by high_jeeves
My suggestion is to find the 4-5 other posts on the board with the exact same problem as you.

--Jeeves

Well I have done a search for both compass aand movement. None of the forum search results have clued me in. If you hvae the location of a post will the same problem as me please feel free to add a link to that forum.

Again the problem that is occuringing is related only to the main chacter. When the zone decodes it shows all mob and other players positions but it shows my spawn point as a random place in zone. When i move the compass and my spawn location do not move. I can see other characters / mobs moving around me but if i move around my position never updates.

Thanks again.

fryfrog
04-26-2002, 10:54 AM
some people have seen this issue and solved it by replacing either the network card in their linux box or the hub they are using. it seems like you are seeing packets (since it loads mobs and map?) but it is missing some of them. try a different network card and hub, if you can.

of course, this is just a shot in the dark :)

high_jeeves
04-26-2002, 11:04 AM
I searched for the word "player" and found 4 posts with the answer. Fryfrog is also correct.

--Jeeves

OgreB
04-26-2002, 12:23 PM
I searched for the word "player" and found 4 posts with the answer. Fryfrog is also correct.

--Jeeves

So did a seach for player across all sourceforge seq boards. Three pages of post reading later i find one post relateing to the issue that i am having but its not replied to. So agian. if there a a super secret search engine that i am missing please point me to it.

So Again problems more detailed. I currently run this setup without problem. Problem occurs on a new installation on new computer existing old machine runs seq without issue but is not latest cvs. I am going to try to get older version from cvs but i dont think that is problem.

Network setup as followed.

Internet
|
Cable mobem
|
Linksys Rounter
|
Hub
|
----------------------------------------
| |
seq computer EQ computer

redhat 7.2 clean installation. Latest CVS tree. seq loads fine no errors. seq finds eq computer packets and decodes them player loc never updates. Player circle stuck at loc 0 0 0 in all zones after zoning. All other functions of seq working fine. When i zone new zone maps come up packets are decoded and spawn locs are shown.

Only problem is player never moves from loc 0 0 0

I have replaced both the hub and nic card and the results are the same.

Some links that i have found that relate

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=890&highlight=player

Fryfrog states that he read somewhere it was a network card or hub problem but on link shown to referance

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=772&highlight=player

This post is from forestgump and life is like a box of chocolate and no responces did he get.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234&highlight=player

Similiar issue but again. No additional information. And i am not using PPPoE

If there is a post that i am missing please post the url. Again i have seq working on another computer atm this is only happening on a new computer install.

high_jeeves
04-26-2002, 12:41 PM
Try reducing the datarate on your EQ machine. (datarate.txt in the EQ directory should be 4 or 5).

--Jeeves

S_B_R
04-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Try reducing the datarate on your EQ machine. (datarate.txt in the EQ directory should be 4 or 5).

--Jeeves

Yeah I would suggest that as well. And as always make sure you are sniffing for the right IP address on the correct NIC in your showeq.conf file.

OgreB
04-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by S_B_R

Yeah I would suggest that as well. And as always make sure you are sniffing for the right IP address on the correct NIC in your showeq.conf file.

Data rate reduced no effect i have tried both mac address and ip address sniffing. Tcpdump shows udp traffic going both ways. What is whierd is that my character shows up in the decode without a problem he is in the spawn list and i get all stats / skills / mob info with problem. The problems is the fact tht the character is locked at loc 0 0 0. Its wierd. This is a new box on the same network as my old seq box which does not show this issue. I am going to upgrade my old seq box to lastest cvs to verifie its not a code diff. The prolbem is buggy but o well i figure it out.

S_B_R
04-26-2002, 04:02 PM
Hmmm.... I was thinking.... Could it be possible that your SEQ box isn't seeing packets FROM your EQ box? Meaning it's seeing Packets from the everquest servers TO your EQ box just fine but not the other way around?

I was thinking about if your Linksys router is plugged into the Uplink port on your hub, maybe your hub broadcasts data from the uplink port but not from normal ports....
A way to test this would be to ping seq.sourceforge.net from your EQ box and see if you see any request packets... Try this open a DOS prompt on your EQ box and do the following:
ping -t seq.sourceforge.net Now while that is running open a terminal on your SEQ box and do the following:
tcpdump -i eth0 | grep sourceforge.net | grep request If you don't see any traffic in that terminal window your SEQ box can't see packets come FROM you EQ box...