PDA

View Full Version : seq:ok; ping:ok; internet from win:no way

linux247
04-27-2002, 11:28 AM
Ok, here's my sitch. I've got seq installed on my rh 7.2 box <check> I can connect to the internet from the same <check> I can successfully ping my winxp/eq box and vice versa <check> Connect to the internet over the network from winxp box: not at this point...
details:
I'm using a standard network config of ip= 192.168.0.1 (linux box) and 192.168.0.2 (winxp) and have gone thru all manner of guides from linux.org; linuxnewbie; this site, etc. and haven't found a workable solution. I've tried various suggestions concerning packet forwarding, iptables/chains, etc. I know I've got to be close now, I'm just not sure what to try next? This frustrated noob needs your help.

a_splitpaw_gnol
04-27-2002, 01:33 PM
I got the answer :) I had the same setup you have, and found that either setting up IPTABLES SNAT/IP masquerading.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/index-linux.html

a_splitpaw_gnol
04-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Almost forgot my fav package.

It's php based (webpage) firewall/ipforwarding program. It builds a firewall to your specs, based off of programs/hardware it detects installed on your computer. It's very nice :) Uses IPtables.

http://phpfwgen.sourceforge.net

linux247
04-27-2002, 01:58 PM
I'm checking out your suggestions now...

a_splitpaw_gnol
04-27-2002, 01:59 PM
That site is good for reference, but it is a little antiquated. I'd use it with a grain of salt. The PHPFWGEN however is very upto date.

linux247
04-27-2002, 08:07 PM
...I'd like to try the php firewall generator you suggested but have a few questions first (since I'm a noob ;) ) i.e. do I need to download/install this in a particular directory... and which 2.0 do I need to download (tar.gz, i386 or src). Thanks in advance.

a_splitpaw_gnol
04-28-2002, 05:52 AM
Well all 3 of the 2.0's work. They are just in diff formats IE i386 I believe is an RPM, tar.gz is a zipped pacakge. and src is well the source. I go with the RPM just cuz it's easier. The only thing you really need for it to work, is apache 1.3.x and php 4 installed. Both of which are usually default, but if not, are easily attainable at

www.apache.org

and

www.php.net

PS I reccommend you put them in a directory, but I usually just make a random directory temporarily for the install files, then remove it when it's installed. You may do as you like though :)