PDA

View Full Version : Showeq and a strange problem

Danodare
05-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Hello all,

I installed Mandrake 8.2 with the packages mentionned in various threads here.

I followed the IP masquerading howto, i can browse the internet and play EQ with my windows machine.

I compiled QT-2.3.2 with no problem.

I compiled showeq with no problem.

I renamed showeq.conf.dist into showeq.conf and edited the IP address into my own 192.168.X.X address.

I launched showeq and EQ, showeq works fine and displays all the usual info (decryption works and everything).

Here is my problem:
as soon as I have launched showeq for the first time, i cannot start *any* other programs on the machine. I cannot start a terminal, or mozilla, or ksirc, or anything at all. Existing programs are ok as long as I dont close them (i cant restart them if i close them). The only exception to that is showeq itself, which i can close and restart to my heart's content.

But it gets worse. If I logout of X and reboot my machine, i cannot start the X server again. I tried a few random programs, and some worked, some didnt. I could very well be wrong, but the programs that dont work *seem* to be those which require runlevel 5. Runlevel 3 programs seem to work fine.

More info: I tweaked my kde for some time and rebooted maybe 10 times total before I launched showeq for the first time. Each and every time, "startx" managed to get kde running without a hitch. In kde, I was able to start and close programs with no problems (until I started showeq for the first time).

To solve the problem, the only way I found was to reinstall Mandrake 8.2 completely. I did this once already, it solved my problem entirely. I was able to reboot several times, kde worked fine. Then I compiled showeq again, launched it and bam, exact same issue. Now I cannot start the X server and Im condemned to reinstall Mandrake 8.2 again.

Any help is welcome, any pointers towards reading material too. Showeq when it runs seems to be doing something that completely ruins my system to the point of needing a full reinstall.

The showeq I use is latest CVS and the libEQ.a is from the smurfette ftp server.

Thanks in advance,
Danodare

fryfrog
05-02-2002, 02:40 PM
i have a friend that is using mdk 8.2 as well who was having X locking up issues a LOT. i personally use 8.1 and when i tried to upgrade to 8.2, it barfed so bad i had to re-install 8.1 from scratch.

try using 8.1 and see if you experience the same thing.

S_B_R
05-02-2002, 04:21 PM
What variables are you setting in your .profile and/or .bashrc and/or /etc/profile and/or .bash_profile.

Next time you run SEQ and your box stops working like it should, run the env command and post the output here.

Danodare
05-03-2002, 11:18 AM
I am an idiot, sorry for the previous post.

Instead of adding /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf, like it is suggested in the guide(s), I poked my nose in it. Inside /etc/ld.so.conf, I found the line /usr/lib/qt2/lib. I thought "heh, doesnt look like im going to need this anymore since I have 2.3.2 now," and replaced it.

After I saved /etc/ld.so.conf and then ran ldconfig, I could not start any programs that was not specifically built for qt-2.3.2. Hence why I couldnt even start back the X server even after rebooting.

Moral of my story: even if you don't understand it, follow the guide(s) here to the letter.

Thanks for all the contributions,
-Danodare, happy ShowEQ user

[edited: Mozilla > Konqueror]