PDA

View Full Version : OMFG i've tried 2 hubs, still not working...

bver78
05-03-2002, 04:31 PM
OK please, someone, give me the make/model of a hub you know works with seq. PLEASE /cry

high_jeeves
05-03-2002, 04:54 PM
They are listed all of these boards! Basically, most things that dont say "switch" and arent made by linksys work. The Netgears all work fairly well. Are you sure you dont have a deeper problem here?

--Jeeves

bver78
05-03-2002, 05:01 PM
yes, it is the hub. I had a linksys hub, that didn't work. I then switch that hub with my friends 2 year old pos hub, and that still doesn't work. I'll check out the netgear hubs, i'd like an exact model so i don't waste another $30+ on a hub that won't work and i'll never use.

JoeBloe
05-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Netgear DS104, make sure both cards are the same speed. You can't hub together a 100Mbps and a 10Mbps card with this one.

casey
05-03-2002, 07:45 PM
make sure both cards are the same speed. You can't hub together a 100Mbps and a 10Mbps card with this one.

or with any device. in a 10/100 hub, all the 10mbit ports are on a the same broadcast segment (hub) and all the 100mbit ports are on thier own broadcast segment. Then these 2 segments are switched together, which produces the result you see. You need a hub, and both computers must be operating at the same ethernet speed.

FuddRucker
05-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Not sure if this is relivant, may of just been me, but I was using an OLD NE2000 ISA card in my linux box for a while, it was running at 10mbits. So I slowed down my Win box to that speed, but it still did not work. So I tried setting my Win box to 10mbit "Half Duplex", and that worked. Not sure why, or if it was just me, but something you may consider, if your systems are at the right speed and still not working, try switching your Win box to Half.

(This was on Redhat 6.1, since installing 7.2 I've been at 100mbits Full Duplex, of course I replaced the network card in the linux box at the same time.)