PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gotten a wireless hub to work?

Cambik
05-07-2002, 08:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever been succesfull in getting a wireless hub/router/switch to work with SEQ. I tried and it does not see the packets. I did manage to get it to work going through a hub that I had and connecting that to the wireless/hub/ switch.

Cambik

high_jeeves
05-07-2002, 10:33 AM
Wireless by nature is point to point.... promiscuous mode wireless adapters are quite rare.

--Jeeves

Cambik
05-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Well I am going to do some testing on it since it does not seem that anyone has gotten it to work. As it is now it works fine set up from cable=linksys (wireless hub/router/switch)=hub=win box and SEQ box hooked to the hub. There has to be a way to get this to work.

Cambik

high_jeeves
05-07-2002, 11:26 AM
If I am understanding the scenario you are describing, it will work, since you are doing the packet sniffing over standard ethernet, not wireless...

Is this an accurate diagram of your system:

CABLE ---> WAP --<wireless>--> HUB --<wired>---> EQ & ShowEQ

If so, this should work (athough I would guess that the hub in this system is really a WAP, which means it will be a switch)...
You probably need to add another hub after the first one (because it is probably switched)...

--Jeeves

Cambik
05-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Jeeves,

Yes that is how I have the system set up as it is a WAP and a 4port hub all in one and it does work great set up that way........What I want to do is have it so that SEQ will see the packets from the wireless card so I can be mobil with the laptop and still have SEQ track while I am moving......I know this probley won't work but I will see if I can't get it to.

Mr Guy
05-07-2002, 12:43 PM
No sweat Cam, all you need is to make it look like:

CABLE <-><<WAP>>

EQ << WIRELESS>>

<<WIRELESS RECEIVER>> <-->Hub <== >Linux

OR
<<WIRELESS>> <->Linux <-><<WIRELESS>>

Where -- is a single wire, and the == indicates two wires, with two NICs.

Then set up your stuff as usual with the EQ in a virtual inner network and your Linux card to be the gateway and forward packets.

The beauty of the system is that you can force the system to ignore the PP aspects by telling it to look for our convenient gateway. As long as you tell your Windows box to look for point A, and your Linux box to forward from A to B, and B connects to the internet, it ought work. It's a significantly more expensive option though, as long as nics are 10 bucks and wifi cards are closer to 100.
(IANAWE (wireless expert)) Just tell your Winows box to look for the Linux box, and your Linux box to route correctly, and your WAP should be happy to forward the packets around like a pinball.

high_jeeves
05-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Mr Guy is correct... Here is the simple way to figure out if your network is going to work for ShowEQ (it will work for both wired, and wireless networks).

1) Draw a map of your network on a peice of paper...

2) Draw a line (in red or some other color) from your EQ machine to the Internet.

3) Anytime you hit a true wired hub (no wireless, no switches).. continue your line to everything attached to that hub.

4) Does your line hit the ShowEQ machine? If so, then yes it will work (assuming you dont have PPOE :) ). If your line doesnt touch the ShowEQ machine, it wont work.

So, like Mr Guy said:

Cable ---> <<anything here, including wireless>> ---> SEQ ---> <<anything here, including wireless> ---> EQ

The above will work, as long as the SEQ machine had 2 NICs and is doing IPMasq of some kind.

--Jeeves

Cambik
05-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Well the good news is I have gotten SEQ to work great......The only problem I am am having is that all the chat is not getting decoded now. This started happening after the 5/8 patch. I have updated the CVS files and have the new libEQ.a file and the md5sum matches that on the announcement forum anyone have a clue as why this might be?

high_jeeves
05-09-2002, 11:58 AM
There are about 5 other bug reports on this forum about the same problem... might want to try reading before you post, especially since this is completely off topic for this thread.

--Jeeves